Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocating to North Carolina area, concerned about waiting too long to move resulting in pricing myself out, outlook of North Carolina real estate markets

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:41 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,853 times

Advertisements

they are able to move to NC because or family/job/personal reasons that you might wait to long and be priced out of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 08:46 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
This was a very, very real concern of mine. I didn't want to wait too long and be presented with the same, or a similar situation to the one we are leaving. I was afraid of what prices would look like in six month or a year.

SL

Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ View Post
they are able to move to NC because or family/job/personal reasons that you might wait to long and be priced out of the area?
If you moving from the Hamptons I think you should be able to afford NC?? Isn't Hamptons where P Diddy and the ultra rich vacation? if you can afford that than NC should be in your range any part of it

On a serious note - I wouldn't worry about being priced out in a year or two. There is a lot of supply coming online at least around the major 2 cities (Charlote/Raleigh) new homes being built everywhere - it is not like areas like northern VA, NYC, San Diego etc where there is essentially nowhere left to build and hence no more supply of housing. Also with interest rates going up and housing market slowing in most areas of the country, and especially in areas where people from out of state are fleeing from to come to NC its going to take longer for people to sell homes so it will slow down the influx

Even if you disagree with the above comments, houses won't dissapear - maybe you will need to buy a 10% smaller house if you come in 2 years but is that pricing you out of the market. Nah. NC is in general very affordable for many people (relatively speaking), especially for those bringing equity from homes they sell in other parts of the country. If you are insistent on buying a $400K home than maybe you'd have to pay $450K down the road if you wait, but for the average person who is looking for $150-$200-$250K homes they are there, you might need to live 2-3 miles farther out or have a 5% smaller home in a few years but its not like you won't find good homes available. Also there is NO guarantee that the economy won't slow down in the next few years, knocking prices down or slowing their ascent etc - there are many variables, but my best guess is some continued appreciation in the area but probably in the 5-7% range per year over next 2 years or so - before I went down there and saw all the supply of homes coming online that will be ready in next 6-18 months I would of thought it would be higher, but already we are hearing reports of new home builders offering incentives in the past month to start pushing their inventory, and that trickles down to older home sales over time.

40% of homes bought in the past 4-5 years have been speculators and people buying 2nd homes - so as the "easy money" is no longer there the speculators are exiting the market and nationally we should go to a more normal housing market...

Old 09-05-2006, 07:59 AM

167 posts, read 944,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ View Post
Yes, I worry about this, since it looks like we won't be moving South nearly as soon as I want to. But more than this (since it's true that prices are considerably lower for property, etc. there than here) I worry that so many people will have fled NJ, CA, FL, etc. and landed in NC that a lot of the things that I like about it will have changed. Like the resentment from natives I've heard so much about... I imagine the more transplants arrive, the more irritated the locals will be.
One thing people can't change is the weather, which is a major factor in my decision to move South. But luckily I can get similar weather in eastern Tennessee or southern Virginia, so I'm looking into both of these areas as well, since there doesn't seem to be as large a migration to these areas.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Default Concern

It also concerns me that we have to wait to move. But I know when the time is right everything will fall into place. I' rather die in N.C. than die having never lived there.

p.s. Do the natives really resent people moving there????????

Old 09-05-2006, 08:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It also concerns me that we have to wait to move. But I know when the time is right everything will fall into place. I' rather die in N.C. than die having never lived there.

p.s. Do the natives really resent people moving there????????
I think that is a misconception. The vast majority of us came here from somewhere else originally, so why should we want to keep anybody else from having what we have here? I think maybe it is harder for the older folks (over 65) who have seen so much change so quickly, but no, we don't resent people coming. At least know one I know of. And I've never gotten that feeling in any place I've visited across the state.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf View Post
Yes, I worry about this, since it looks like we won't be moving South nearly as soon as I want to. But more than this (since it's true that prices are considerably lower for property, etc. there than here) I worry that so many people will have fled NJ, CA, FL, etc. and landed in NC that a lot of the things that I like about it will have changed. Like the resentment from natives I've heard so much about... I imagine the more transplants arrive, the more irritated the locals will be.
One thing people can't change is the weather, which is a major factor in my decision to move South. But luckily I can get similar weather in eastern Tennessee or southern Virginia, so I'm looking into both of these areas as well, since there doesn't seem to be as large a migration to these areas.
Sometimes the wait and factors are for a reason. If you are concerned about the area changing to what you are leaving, some may be better served to wait and see and may decide after all, this is not the place to be.

As you note one of the reasons for your move is weather, and as noted NC is not the only state in the South. I commed you for looking outside the proverbial box (meaning looking other then NC)

Good luck

Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,154 times
Sharp home price pull back
OFHEO's house price index shows the largest quarter-to-quarter fall off in home price increases in three decades of record keeping.
By Les Christie, CNNMoney.com staff writer
September 5 2006: 10:31 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- New evidence of a housing market slowdown emerged Tuesday - growth in the price of a single family home was just 1.17 percent in the second quarter, a decline of one percentage point from the prior quarter.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times
Not only does this effect homes sales as noted, the general economy does too, if people get nervous re jobs and the economy is general everything gets hit. Consuner spending and confidence is already down .. that with the question mark of interest rates etc will all effect the real estate market.

I think you will see scared people selling for lower and those who will hold out, that is why sometimes these statistics can't always give a true story about what is going on

Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
Default native resentment

When visiting the Charlotte area, I asked several natives about their feelings toward the newcomers and no one expressed any ill will -- not even slightly. I think that in general, if you're kind and respectful toward people, they will extend those same courtesies to you.

Everyone we encountered was pleasant, to the point of many peole offering to chauffeur us around, families gave us their phone numbers and asked us to call once we settled in, everyone we encountered invited us to their church and many people made recommendations about communities we might want to live in.

When I was active duty, I got assigned to Keesler in Biloxi, MS. This was close to 10 years ago (where does the time go?) and my new husband and I were afraid of leaving the north for the deep south. Actually, we were terrified (and our parents and grandparents fed our fears) and pretty convinced that someone would burn a cross on our lawn ... ignorant, but this was our true fear.

Imagine my surprise when we were received warmly by the community, even natives. Now granted this is an area accustomed to outsiders and what they bring to the economy but still, the woman who eventually become my son's godmother is Miss born and raised.

My husband and I were quite young at the time, had never been so far away from home and we were homesick ... big time. My son's godmother received us warmly, had us over for the holidays and when my son was born, she burst into the delivery room and when the doctor insisted only family could be present she looked at him indignantly and said, "Well of course I'm family, can't you see I'm this child's mother???" He looked from her to me, taking in her blue eyes and blond hair and I suspect, digesting her Miss twang too. But what could he do? I wanted her there.

Eveyrone burst into laughter when my son came out crying and she cried, "I had no idea my first grandchild would be black!"

I always wondered if perhaps, because of history, the folks we encountered felt they had something to prove ... you know, that things had changed. It was fine by me. We were on the receiving end of such love and kindness, when we needed it most. For the first time, I knew what it meant to be linked to a community ... something I have only experienced in the south. I am hopeful that we'll encounter the same in NC.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina