Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,939 times

Advertisements

my husband and i live in upstate NY and its becoming extremely expensive. weve decided that its time to relocate and going south would be good for us financially. my problem is the race issue. we have two beautiful little girls and where we are now.. race is not an issue. practically everyone is mixed (seriously). of course there are ignorant ppl everywhere you go and someone is going to stare or make a stupid comment but im concerned about it being an everyday thing. ive heard stories and seen ppl post things on other forums about crosses being burned and ppl going out of theyre way to say something. its crazy!! i just dont understand why ppl even care!!!?? weve been thinking about rahleigh,carey,durham and richmond or Norfolk,VA.... are theyre even jobs in these places.. im currenting in school for Massage therapy and my husband is thinkking about becoming a LPN or taking up some trade before we move... any info would help ty!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Please don't rely on stories you have heard or postings talking about crosses being burned.

Come give us a visit and make up your mind upon what you see.

these stories I read on this forum where people talk about what they have heard from someone who heard, make me sad that people would even think such things about us.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
In the cities of NC, the racial issue is nothing at all to worry about. However, moving here without at least one job lined up is the really scary thing. NC has high unemployment, and if you read threads about nursing, there are enough RNs looking for work that they aren't using many LPNs. And I would think massage services would be considered "luxury services" in this economy.

Look for where you can find a job first and foremost, then if you have multiple places, see which one fits your own family better. Interracial families are not a rarity here and in most cases, except in the rural areas, you shouldn't have a problem. You'll likely be ostracized more for moving here without a job.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
and if you read threads about nursing, there are enough RNs looking for work that they aren't using many LPNs.
This maybe true in hospital settings. However, nursing homes, drug rehab centers, and minor emergency clinics keep more LPNs on staff than RNs. LPN pay in the Charlotte area is from $15-$22 an hour depending on experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
ive heard stories and seen ppl post things on other forums about crosses being burned and ppl going out of theyre way to say something. its crazy!! i just dont understand why ppl even care!!!??
I am a black male married to a white female. My wife's sons (from a previous marriage) live with us (the boys are white teens). We go out together quite often and no one seems to care. I'll admit though that black females (not all, but some) seem to be the worst about staring and rolling their eyes. This may not be the case in your situation, but in my situation, a few black females made it perfectly clear that my wife had taken "another one of their men".

On the flip side, I've seen a larger number of white males with black wives as of late. Heck, I've seen quite a few white females with black girl friends too. I hope this info kinda puts things into perspective.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 AM

873 posts, read 1,016,885 times
Sage1, as far as the Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill area goes, interracial couples are pretty commonplace, at least in my circle. Then again, I mainly hang out in the urbanized areas, so that could be biased there. Still, I don't detect as much overt racism as you might find in other parts of the state or the country, for that matter. You should do just fine once you get here and, like the others said, find a job first.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,939 times
thank you everyone!! were planning a lil vacation in oct. to get a feel of the area. we wouldnt move without finding jobs or looking into childcare first. i had no idea that the unemployment rate is high. im currently a cna and here massage therapist are working in the hospitals and thats kinda what i was hoping for but we will see when the time comes i guess. i dont mind doing cna work for awhile until i can find something else. does any one have an idea how much they pay? and what areas are good to live in? good school districts? sorry if i have a million questions lol

Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
thank you everyone!! were planning a lil vacation in oct. to get a feel of the area. we wouldnt move without finding jobs or looking into childcare first. i had no idea that the unemployment rate is high. im currently a cna and here massage therapist are working in the hospitals and thats kinda what i was hoping for but we will see when the time comes i guess. i dont mind doing cna work for awhile until i can find something else. does any one have an idea how much they pay? and what areas are good to live in? good school districts? sorry if i have a million questions lol
CNA pay in the Charlotte area is anywhere from $8-$12 an hour (the higher end of the pay scale is at nursing homes, not hospitals). I would NOT move here personally without getting your LPN at the least (a RN would be best). In all honesty, moving "south for financial reasons" when it seems you and your husband both aren't settled into your careers is not very smart. Most folks come here with experience and a backgroung in their home state. Many even transfer with their company (which is what I did). I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of coming here because I would LOVE to see more interracial diversity in NC. However, I don't want you to come here, "strike out", then leave either...

Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Quote:
I'm a CNA and where I work we make $10-$14 an hour depending on experience, shift diff., and if you're full-time or PRN. Nurses start at $21 hr. I work at a nicer facility in Chapel Hill. I have heard some places paying CNA's as low as $8-$9 hr.

As far as your race concerns, overall it is a non issue in the more populated metro areas.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 PM

402 posts, read 589,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I am a black male married to a white female. My wife's sons (from a previous marriage) live with us (the boys are white teens). We go out together quite often and no one seems to care. I'll admit though that black females (not all, but some) seem to be the worst about staring and rolling their eyes. This may not be the case in your situation, but in my situation, a few black females made it perfectly clear that my wife had taken "another one of their men".
That was unnecessary. Seriously. I don't know why Black men think that so much. Smh

To the OP, it won't be much of an issue in the areas you mentioned. Things have gotten much better in that regard.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
Just a suggestion --- there are many places throughout the US that have a lower cost of living than NY, so don't limit yourself to VA or NC. Go where you and your husband can find employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina