Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 13,145 times

Advertisements

I'm finally coming out of lurking mode to ask some advice as my SO and I and two dogs are relocating to NC next week. My SO went to NC in early August to get his NC license, purchase a car and get insurance. He then drove the car to FL since we are moving from the VI and only flying to Miami and driving with our dogs. So now the problem is we are all set to leave next week and have yet to get permanent license plates for our car since the dealer needs a copy of a drivers license to issue them. A request for a second license has been processed and sent out directly to the dealership last Wednesday and it has yet to arrive. DMV insists they can't issue a copy of the license and the dealer can't issue another set of temporary plates.

Is it unusual to wait weeks to get a license in the mail? Are we crazy to attempt to drive from FL with expired temporary plates? Does anyone have any suggestions or words of advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
DO NOT DRIVE WITH EXPIRED PLATES...big ticket. better to have no plate.

He bought a car, got insurance and no license? HOw did he get NC insurance without a license?

Did he get the car titled in NC?

Driver"s license usually takes 7-12 days to get to you.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 PM

He did get his temporary paper license since you need a license and insurance to purchase a car. We have been patiently waiting for the actual license to get the permanent license plates for the car since the dealer can't process plates until a copy of the license is received. Long story short, first license was mailed but never comes and now a duplicate license has been requested and mailed direcetly to the dealer last week but has yet to arrive. So in the mean time the temporary license plates from the dealer have expired and we have a car with the expired plates that we want to drive from FL... I guess it's just going to come down to the wire while we wait for the license and then we have to make a decision to drive or not!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
My NC license arrived in less than 2 weeks. Later, an address change arrived in 8 days.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
Not really sure why he insisted on getting an NC license issued for a purchase when you can purchase a vehicle in NC with any valid license? I purchased my last vehicle with Ohio license AND Ohio insurance.

That said. It usually takes 1-2 weeks for the license to come, and about 30 days for the plates to come. You can check to see if FL will issue a temp plate so you can transport the vehicle.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Not really sure why he insisted on getting an NC license issued for a purchase when you can purchase a vehicle in NC with any valid license? I purchased my last vehicle with Ohio license AND Ohio insurance.

That said. It usually takes 1-2 weeks for the license to come, and about 30 days for the plates to come. You can check to see if FL will issue a temp plate so you can transport the vehicle.

Everything on the NC DMV web page indicates that as a new NC resident you need a NC license to register a car (unless you're here in school, military or a few other cases which don't apply to us) so that's why he went and got a license. Besides, his VI license expires in early October and the BMV here isn't something you want to experience unless you really have to!

We're going to check into the FL temporary plates tomorrow as you're the second person to tip us on that. Hopefully that will work as we're getting down to the wire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina