Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite NC mall?
Asheville Mall Asheville, NC 0 0%
Biggs Park Mall Lumberton, NC 0 0%
Blue Ridge Mall Henderson, NC 0 0%
Carolina Mall Concord, NC 2 3.08%
Carolina Place Pineville, NC 1 1.54%
Cary Towne Center (Cary Village Mall) Cary, NC 2 3.08%
Cleveland Mall Shelby, NC 0 0%
Concord Mills Concord, NC 13 20.00%
Crabtree Valley Mall Raleigh, NC 18 27.69%
Cross Creek Mall Fayetteville, NC 2 3.08%
Four Seasons Towne Centre Greensboro, NC 2 3.08%
Friendly Center Greensboro, NC 1 1.54%
Golden East Crossing Rocky Mount, NC 0 0%
Hanes Mall Winston Salem, NC 5 7.69%
Holly Hill Mall (Burlington Square) Burlington, NC 0 0%
Jacksonville Mall Jacksonville, NC 0 0%
Northgate Mall Durham, NC 0 0%
Northlake Mall Charlotte, NC 2 3.08%
Oak Hollow Mall High Point, NC 0 0%
Randolph Mall Asheboro, NC 1 1.54%
Southgate Mall Elizabeth City, NC 0 0%
Southpark Mall Charlotte, NC 21 32.31%
The Streets at Southpoint Durham, NC 18 27.69%
Triangle Town Center Raleigh, NC 5 7.69%
Twin Rivers Mall New Bern, NC 0 0%
University Mall Chapel Hill, NC 0 0%
Valley Hills Mall Hickory, NC 0 0%
Westfield Eastridge Mall Gastonia, NC 0 0%
Wilson Mall (Parkwood Mall) Wilson, NC 0 0%
other Please specify 1 1.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I'd like to know if any of the posters have been to all the malls on the list. I've only been to two, so no vote.
I've been to the one's I've voted for and a few of the one's I didn't vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
I agree with the poster who said that Twin Rivers Mall SHOULD NOT be on the list. I don't even consiter it a mall. It is more vacant stores inside of it than anything else. I have been to multiple malls on the list. I voted for my all time favorite Crabtree Valley. I love the Belk there. There is a SEPERATE Belk for men store there as well. The food is great as well. There is Cheesecake Factory, McCormick, Brio, Fleming's, etc.

I also like The Streets at Southpoint. The only con about this mall is the location. It seems very "far out" if you are driving from certain parts of Raleigh or Cary. I always end up driving to a Southern Season whenever heading in that direction. Maggiano's makes up for the drive, lol. I do wish there was additional parking at this mall as well.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
I forgot to give a shout out to Southpark Mall (though I hate malls for the most part).

Size
At nearly 1.8 million sq.ft, Southpark is the largest Mall in North and South Carolina.
SouthPark Mall (Charlotte, North Carolina) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upscale Stores
With names like Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy's, Burberry, True Religion, Cheese Cake factory etc, Southpark is NC's (and SC's) most upscale shopping destination. Even downtown Charleston (with the loss of Saks Fifth Ave; now a Forever 21 store on King Street) can't compete when it comes to upscale names (I visit Charleston at least 3 times a year; GREAT urban city, but Southpark mall is more upscale now I'm sorry to say ). Still can't figure out why Charlotte's Bang & Olufsen is in Southend and West Elm is in midtown though (one would expect these two to be at Southpark along side their peers)?

View of the city
The view of uptown Charlotte from Southpark's southside upperdeck is nice (especially in person, the pic does not do this angle justice IMO).
All sizes | Charlotte skyline from Southpark Mall | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3542835498/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Most transit friendly
There is a myth that upscale and transit don't mix. Well, Southpark mall has busted that myth to bits. Outside of uptown itself, Southpark mall is Charlotte's second busiest transit transfer point. Here is the Southpark transit stop located under the mall.

http://intransitnews.com/nov2009/southpark.jpg (broken link)
Intransit Newsletter (http://intransitnews.com/nov2009/novcontent.html - broken link)

^^^It doesn't look very big, but it is the transfer point for 6 different local bus routes (18, 19, 29, 30, 57 ,60). All of which are local routes (with the #60 only being a connection to the Lynx light rail line 7 minutes west of the mall).

IMO, Southpark (more than most malls) have really tried to redefine itself in (what was once) a farm on the south side of Charlotte. Today, the area looks NOTHING like a farm.
All sizes | Charlotte Aerial Photography - Southpark | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3560071367/sizes/o/in/set-72157618736239700/ - broken link)

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I forgot to give a shout out to Southpark Mall (though I hate malls for the most part).

Size
At nearly 1.8 million sq.ft, Southpark is the largest Mall in North and South Carolina.
SouthPark Mall (Charlotte, North Carolina) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upscale Stores
With names like Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy's, Burberry, True Religion, Cheese Cake factory etc, Southpark is NC's (and SC's) most upscale shopping destination. Even downtown Charleston (with the loss of Saks Fifth Ave; now a Forever 21 store on King Street) can't compete when it comes tdo upscale names (I visit Charleston at least 3 times a year; GREAT urban city, but Southpark mall is more upscale now I'm sorry to say ). Still can't figure out why Charlotte's Bang & Olufsen is in Southend and West Elm is in midtown though (one would expect these two to be at Southpark along side their peers)?

View of the city
The view of uptown Charlotte from Southpark's southside upperdeck is nice (especially in person, the pic does not do this angle justice IMO).
All sizes | Charlotte skyline from Southpark Mall | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3542835498/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Most transit friendly
There is a myth that upscale and transit don't mix. Well, Southpark mall has busted that myth to bits. Outside of uptown itself, Southpark mall is Charlotte's second busiest transit transfer point. Here is the Southpark transit stop located under the mall.

Intransit Newsletter (http://intransitnews.com/nov2009/novcontent.html - broken link)

^^^It doesn't look very big, but it is the transfer point for 6 different local bus routes (18, 19, 29, 30, 57 ,60). All of which are local routes (with the #60 only being a connection to the Lynx light rail line 7 minutes west of the mall).

IMO, Southpark (more than most malls) have really tried to redefine itself in (what was once) a farm on the south side of Charlotte. Today, the area looks NOTHING like a farm.
All sizes | Charlotte Aerial Photography - Southpark | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3560071367/sizes/o/in/set-72157618736239700/ - broken link)
I'm actually surprised Southpark doesn't have more votes. Truly a nice area and a blend of upscale and affordable shops. Although I do love Charleston.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
I'm surprised that The Streets at Southpoint has so many votes. Granted, I've enver been there. If I'm headed toward Durham I'm headed past it, typically. The reason I'm saying I'm surprised but it has the most votes but the least comments among the malls with the most votes. I would've voted for Concord Mills and cast a vote for "other" for both North Hills and Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield, but I didn't realize it was multiple choice and only voted for Crabtree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I agree with the poster who said that Twin Rivers Mall SHOULD NOT be on the list. I don't even consiter it a mall. It is more vacant stores inside of it than anything else. I have been to multiple malls on the list. I voted for my all time favorite Crabtree Valley. I love the Belk there. There is a SEPERATE Belk for men store there as well. The food is great as well. There is Cheesecake Factory, McCormick, Brio, Fleming's, etc.
Me and escapenc agreed on something about New Bern!!!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,964 times
I'm glad Independence mall in Wilmington isn't on here. I really dislike that place. It stinks that I have to drive to Crabtree for a decent mall. I do like it a lot though. Southpark is nice, but I feel like I would be judged if I went into half the stores.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
I'm glad Independence mall in Wilmington isn't on here. I really dislike that place. It stinks that I have to drive to Crabtree for a decent mall. I do like it a lot though. Southpark is nice, but I feel like I would be judged if I went into half the stores.
Probably not .I used to walk in there after I got off from working construction and I would be covered in paint. Some stuff is just in your head. I'm speaking in general. But Southpark is upscale but it ain't rodeo drive. Your welcome to Southpark anytime and don't worry about being judged.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 AM

431 posts, read 1,141,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Probably not .I used to walk in there after I got off from working construction and I would be covered in paint. Some stuff is just in your head. I'm speaking in general. But Southpark is upscale but it ain't rodeo drive. Your welcome to Southpark anytime and don't worry about being judged.
Good to know for next time!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Good to know for next time!
Yeah, go and enjoy yourself. It's a real nice mall.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
My favorite mall is Hanes Mall. It did hold crown as North Carolina mall until South Park expanded.
Hanes mall does have more tenants and is two floors and some of major tenants have 3 floors.
Hanes Mall has over 200 tenants where South Park has only 135.
Besides the two floors it also has carpeted floors making it easier to walk around. Even though they need it cleaned in some areas I do find carpeted areas more pleasant.
It also has a Carousel and this attraction you can are bungie and bounced in the air.
I do miss the countless water fall fountains that used to exist before the 90's.
The whole area is like a city as described above you will find every type of big box store up a block on Hanes Mall Blvd.

Second mall I like is same as others is Concord Mills. It has unique stores a fun circular layout with a mix entertainment like a Speed Park within.

South Park is cool you dont have to be uppity to go there maybe shop.
I do like it has a Nordstorm; Love that place.

I like the glass ceiling in Carolina Place it cool mall if your in the area.

I like the remodel job done at Four Seasons but I didnt care for the shops within. It also has multiple floors.

SouthPoint is nice mall. I might like it if I lived in its area but with part of it being outdoor mall I am trying to understand how you can enjoy it when weather isnt favorable. That area has grown huge over the last decade.

North Lake is a nice new mall. I like it has valet parking the Big screen with sitting I dont get why wold someone go to a mall and watch TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina