Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM

270 posts, read 832,609 times

Advertisements

I just moved out of NC to MD and my NC DL is about to expire, so I'll need MD DL within this month. Problem is my old car is registered and titled in NC, everything is valid until next April.

MD has a notorious inspection system that normally I would expect a decent bill of repair needed in order for my car to pass. I intend to inspect the car to see how bad it would be, if it's too bad I'd sell it or trade-in. But I don't think the sale would be an overnight process. So if I changed to MD DL, can I still keep the car registered/titled in NC until it got sold or it's associated with my NC DL and once the DL changed I'll need to change the registration/title too?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 AM

525 posts, read 899,340 times
You would have to keep the NC physical address to keep the car registered in that state.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
i'd be interested in the answer as well as i have an exact opposite scenario. also, we'll need to consider how insurance comes into play. for instance, will you be switching to MD insurance and if so, will that cover a car registered/titled in NC?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
i'd be interested in the answer as well as i have an exact opposite scenario. also, we'll need to consider how insurance comes into play. for instance, will you be switching to MD insurance and if so, will that cover a car registered/titled in NC?
I just got a car from TX and got it registered here. They require NC DL to register it

But, for people who will renew registration like the OP, I am not sure since he needs an address here to get the renewal notice from DMV. Nobody asks for license when you go for inspection which is a pre-requisite for registration

As far the insurance, when I moved from NJ few years ago, I kept it until it came up for renewal since insurance with NJ was cheaper. I was told it was legal to do so. But, that was old news - not sure anything has changed since then.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 AM

270 posts, read 832,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
You would have to keep the NC physical address to keep the car registered in that state.
My problem is all the registration and inspection for NC are valid till next April. So I don't need to do the NC inspection again. My question is if I change to an MD DL, can I still keep the NC title without changing to MD and got ripped off by the inspection. Or I'll need to update NC DMV that my DL has changed to MD. Does the title has my DL info?

Also, my wife is on my NC insurance as the 2nd driver, but her DL will be valid until next March. If I changed the MD DL, can I keep the NC insurance policy too? Otherwise, she'll have to change to MD DL and we need to move policy to MD as well. (More expensive). I do know that the policy contains both of our DL info.

Last edited by Niubee43V3R; 10-05-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Sounds like these are questions for the Maryland DMV, since that's where the car, and you, physically is/are.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
You need to ask in the MD area, for I'm sure they want the taxes and fees on the vehicle going to MD, not NC. Since you are in MD, the laws there about how soon you are to transfer your vehicle registration are the one's you need to be concerned about.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I would think that if you have a MD license, you are a MD resident. Ergo, you should have your vehicle titled, registered and plated in the state you reside? What brought about the need to have a MD license so quickly? If you had to for legal reasons, you might have to do the vehicle registration for the same..it will be rather difficult to explain to the trooper / law enforcement why you have MD license and NOT registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina