Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:15 PM

23 posts, read 114,495 times

Advertisements

Oh yea, just learn how to say "well, bless his heart", and say if often! Check on the web for some southern girl "sayings". You'll be laughing your tail off and as funny as they all are, they are in fact true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 08:45 PM

106 posts, read 573,204 times
Default Thumbs Up

Sunny kayak,
Thank you for your very well thought out post.
This is the things I look for on this site.
Your Daniel Boone analogy gave me a lot to think about.
I want to be in NC as I visited several states recently (Texas Florida Georgia)
and found this to best suit me.

I do have to be here as life in Michigan is very bleak, Ford just announced yet another closing of parts plant. 1200 jobs gone.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 PM

3,289 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
I do have to be here as life in Michigan is very bleak, Ford just announced yet another closing of parts plant. 1200 jobs gone.
Yes, I know...the Monroe Visteon Plant. I moved to NC from Monroe. Sad to see it happening. Liz

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
We have a lot of northern transplants in Virginia (especially NOVA). I don't mind them at all because they help the economy. Northern tourists are good for business. In Colonial Williamsburg they have so many people from all over but its nice to meet them. They make like more interesting.

Many years ago, a yankee was more easy to spot in these parts.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Seems like we have about as many Northerners in Hampton Roads as Southerners. For the most part I get along well with everyone. People are people wherever they are from.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Seems like we have about as many Northerners in Hampton Roads as Southerners. For the most part I get along well with everyone. People are people wherever they are from.
Hampton Roads I think is the next NOVA. Chesapeake seems like one big development. Like NOVA on the beach.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Default North Carolina Wine

[quote=mm_mary73;1350065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
......my mother would too. This teetotaling Baptist mother would partake of that wine. QUOTE]

It was for medicinal purposes.... So far, Duplin wines taste the most "old timey" to me, but I do miss the homemade brews and definitely the "peach brandy"
Do you think, maybe, it was to settle her stomach? Thank you for taking up for my mother. She taught Sunday School until she was about 80 years old. She was always young at heart. She liked meeting people from everywhere.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 PM

43 posts, read 147,342 times
I've been away for a couple of days - Sunnykayak - loved the Daniel Boone tale and pics!

Anniep - thanks for the encouragement - y'all been so very nice! God Bless!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol53 View Post
There was a very interesting forum which has recently closed regarding how Southerns view Northern transplants that I would like to reactivate because I missed out on the discussion! Since my husband and I are seriously considering relocating to North Carolina, most probably to the Calabash or Shallotte areas, I am particularly eager to read more views on this subject.

I have read many Southerners' posts that express concern about our preconceived notions about them, and I would like to address that here.

I had never really considered myself to be a “Northerner” before reading these forums on the subject. I considered myself an American first and foremost, and a New Yorker, therefore, second. I have read that many Southerners see themselves as Southern first and American second. Since I consider your history as part of my own (like it or not), I appreciate your apparent patriotism and respect and celebrate our glorious heritage as Americans.

It is this patriotism now that attracts me to the South as much as your warm climate and Paula Dean's Restaurant. It became apparent to me that no one in these particular forums had mentioned their ethnicity as being part of their identity - everyone was either a Northerner or a Southerner - and I liked that. This would NEVER happen in a conversation with only New Yorkers. Most people up here will tell you what their background is in an effort to find out what yours is. If you tell them you are American, that is not adequate – they want to know where your ancestors were from. We have an enormous immigrant population, and where your family was originally from is very important to them.

EVERYTHING up here is written in at least 2 languages – English and something else. I am born and raised and still live in the middle class New York neighborhood of Whitestone – great neighborhood, but it has over the years changed into a very ethnic area – not that there is anything wrong with that, but I miss the way it used to be. Italian flags are hanging alongside ours on poles on the front lawns. There are many Greek immigrants now along with the small but steady influx of Yugoslavians or Croatians. Our Asian and Korean neighbors will soon outnumber us all which is perhaps most evident in their overt love for churches or is it their love for not paying property taxes? Everyone who likes to socialize meets around our park’s bocce court whether as spectators or participants, and speaks to each other mostly in broken English or just signs to each other.

Very nice – really, but I am very much looking forward to being considered a “transplant” or a “Northerner” or a “damn Yankee” for that matter, AND I sincerely can’t wait to see your American and/or your Confederate flags blowing in the hot summer breeze.

Bravo! I love the hospitality and the nice attitude rubs off on you. Jerks are jerks wherever you go. Ihave met jerks in every state I have lived in including this one. It's just not as prevalent here as it is in other states with big cities.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM

129 posts, read 460,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
Should northern transplants be more discrete?
How would you like us to behave or not behave?
Thanks for asking.

My own answer is, first, slow down and take things easy. Whether you're driving, walking, or talking, just relax. There's really no rush. Second, be polite. If you're a man, by the way, this includes addressing women properly and holding doors. (This has nothing to do with any political question of women's role in society.) Third, be friendly and sincere. Don't ever ignore a greeting, or small talk, from anyone. Remember that every single person you see or interact with during the day is a real person and a member of your community. Look the waitress in the eye, smile, thank her, tip her, and mean it. And so on. All these things tie in together.

Those are the basics, to get started. Beyond that, try to develop an appreciation for the Southern sensibility of place and history. This encompasses a lot, far more than can be covered here. But anytime any Southerner tells you about some distinctive feature about this place compared to that place, from the way they do the barbecue in a particular joint to the way the wind blows on a certain ridge, pay attention. The same is true when you learn about something that happened twenty, or sixty, or a hundred and sixty years ago. These things are real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina