Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 PM

171 posts, read 447,764 times

Advertisements

I'm facing an odd titling situation. Seller (Owner-2) has a bill of sale from prior owner (Owner-1), his friend. Owner-2 also has the physical title, which Owner-1 has signed. But Owner-2 never signed the title and did not transfer title to his name because he is selling vehicle for his friend, Owner-1, who left the country.

The title is a Virginia title. As it turns out, you don't need notarization to transfer title in VA, and there is no designated space on the title form for a notary stamp and signature. I called NC DMV and they said they would accept a Virginia title signed by Owner-1 (since title is in his name) and by me without notarization. Hopefully the person I see at the DMV won't give me a different story.

The other issue relates to the additional docs required to transfer title in NC - damage disclosure statement and odometer disclosure statement. Since the titled owner (Owner-1) is not around to sign these documents, should I have seller (Owner-2) sign them? Will it cause an issue when the DMV sees that the seller on these docs is not the same person who is listed as the seller on the title? Or should I ask Owner-2 to sign Owner-1's name to these docs? Then title and both disclosure statements will have the same seller. The bill of sale will of course have Owner-2's name, but the bill of sale is not required by NC DMV as far as I can tell, so that doc will serve only as my receipt.

I suppose the long way around this issue is to have Owner-2 transfer title to his name, pay whatever taxes, get his physical title document and then transfer title to me, along with signing the additional docs. But that takes a lot of time.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina