U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 PM

29 posts, read 112,852 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband and I, plus our two beautiful fur children are considering relocating to NC. Specifically to the Hendersonville and surrounding area, but having only driven through Hendersonville many years ago, we would like some assistance in figuring out where we should focus our attention. We are considering Hendersonville, but after reading some posts I'm wondering if it is like many places becoming overpriced and congested. I would like to look at Brevard and I heard mention of Black Mountain as well, but was wondering what other communities we might consider. How about Flat rock?
I am 48 and my husband is going to be 60. We currently live in the Orlando area (hot, humid for too long) but he is originally from Tennessee and I am from Canada. We miss the seasons. We lived in Atlanta but the traffic congestion drove us crazy. We'd like to live in a small city or large town, where our house is in a community on 1/4 to 1/2 acre or more. We do not want to live in a rural or secluded area but would like not to be living on top of our neighbor as we do here. My husband would love to live in an active adult community with golf, but I'm not sure if I am ready for that yet - and not sure if you can have a little land at these communities - maybe... I love walking with my dogs, so safe community, trails etc. is a plus. Since we are childless - we don't have to worry about schools. We would rent at first so we can really look around, but there are so many places that I'm having a hard time narrowing down the areas to look at this go around, and wished this forums input. We both work from home - so high speed internet is all we need. My husband is ready to hand in his resignation shortly (he is in a high powered sales position - very stressful) - since we don't think they will allow him to move to NC. He's ready to do part-time retirement. We could probably afford a $225000 to 300000 home - cheaper obviously is better if we are going to be living off of my salary for a while. I love cool little historic cities like Hendersonville. My husband is from a small city, but I am a big city suburbian, ready for a change and slower pace. I do most of my shopping now on the internet - so being near a big mall is not really important, but love quaint shops, farmers markets and good wine stores. If there is a place near Asheville/Hendersonville that anyone thinks we might like to look into, I'd love to hear it. - thanks!
PB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 04:08 PM

45,242 posts, read 96,280,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4luvofk9s View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I, plus our two beautiful fur children are considering relocating to NC. Specifically to the Hendersonville and surrounding area, but having only driven through Hendersonville many years ago, we would like some assistance in figuring out where we should focus our attention. We are considering Hendersonville, but after reading some posts I'm wondering if it is like many places becoming overpriced and congested. I would like to look at Brevard and I heard mention of Black Mountain as well, but was wondering what other communities we might consider. How about Flat rock?
I am 48 and my husband is going to be 60. We currently live in the Orlando area (hot, humid for too long) but he is originally from Tennessee and I am from Canada. We miss the seasons. We lived in Atlanta but the traffic congestion drove us crazy. We'd like to live in a small city or large town, where our house is in a community on 1/4 to 1/2 acre or more. We do not want to live in a rural or secluded area but would like not to be living on top of our neighbor as we do here. My husband would love to live in an active adult community with golf, but I'm not sure if I am ready for that yet - and not sure if you can have a little land at these communities - maybe... I love walking with my dogs, so safe community, trails etc. is a plus. Since we are childless - we don't have to worry about schools. We would rent at first so we can really look around, but there are so many places that I'm having a hard time narrowing down the areas to look at this go around, and wished this forums input. We both work from home - so high speed internet is all we need. My husband is ready to hand in his resignation shortly (he is in a high powered sales position - very stressful) - since we don't think they will allow him to move to NC. He's ready to do part-time retirement. We could probably afford a $225000 to 300000 home - cheaper obviously is better if we are going to be living off of my salary for a while. I love cool little historic cities like Hendersonville. My husband is from a small city, but I am a big city suburbian, ready for a change and slower pace. I do most of my shopping now on the internet - so being near a big mall is not really important, but love quaint shops, farmers markets and good wine stores. If there is a place near Asheville/Hendersonville that anyone thinks we might like to look into, I'd love to hear it. - thanks!
PB
Check out Landrum, SC, it sounds like what you may be looking for. It is just over the state line south of Asheville near I26. It is scenic and quaint and definitely small town. Getting to Asheville or Hendersonville would be no big deal.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:22 PM

79 posts, read 348,438 times
4...k9's,
From reading your post I think Hendersonville is good for you, I think it is congested and overpriced but I like Rural, And you want to be more suburban and thats Hvl. there are many areas in hvl that offer many different settings. Crooked creek is an older nice golf devolpment on the south side of town that would be nice, houses built in the 70's and 80's w big yards in your $ range and a golf course that is afforadble. Flat rock is also on the South side of town and is very nice. Also Etowah (west between Hvl & Brevard) has a nice golf course and nice homes but is a little farther out. The South side of Hvl / Flat rock has more wine shops, bakery's, boutiques ect.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 PM

518 posts, read 2,140,496 times
You might like some of the communities south of Brevard like Conestee Falls and Sherwood Forest. Waynesville (population 10,000, 25 miles west of Asheville) also might be worth a look. It isn't big on golf course-type communities, but you should be able to find a nice home in your price range. And the downtown is worth visiting even if you don't move there.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:48 AM

29 posts, read 112,852 times
Default Thanks All!

Thanks all for your great suggestions - now we know what areas we need to focus on. If anyone knows a great realtor who is a veteran of the area, please send me that person's name/website privately - we'd like to look at homes we could potentially buy, plus possible rentals.
Again Thanks!
PB

Old 09-12-2006, 07:56 AM

129 posts, read 734,022 times
Hi PB,

I feel like I should be working for the Rutherford COC with all the posts I've made concerning my area in the last few days. Hendersonville is a wonderful area full of the ammenties you're looking for. However, if you get a chance check out Rutherford county, especially the Lake Lure area. Lake Lure has become THE place to "retire" in western NC. With all the beauty and available activities of the surrounding western NC counties but with much lower property taxes and home prices. If I can forward you any more information in your search I will be happy to.

Good Luck

Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 AM

167 posts, read 944,782 times
PB

I pm'ed you today, so check it out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina