Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. So far, it seems like the only places anyone's moving to are in PA, IN, or SC. I'm sorta thinking that somewhere in lower VA, TN, or upper GA might be where I'd look next, but I don't have any plans to go anywhere as of yet. Maybe a place like Lake Tahoe in Nevada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 37,614 times
Default I left NC....

My hubby and I both grew up in North Carolina. He grew up in Asheville and I grew up in Greensboro. We moved to Lenoir for two years and just relocated to Burlington,Vermont in early August. I did have a job at a hospital here before moving. Hubby is still looking right now.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:47 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
We're moving from Asheville to the Greenville/Spartanburg area next year, after the school year is out. I just landed a much better, more stable job in Spartanburg with a very large company. Commuting daily for now (about 45 minutes) which is a pain, but we have lower home prices waiting for us only a short drive away from Asheville as well as more economic opportunity down there. We'll still be close to the mountains, which was important, but the cost of living down there is much lower than here. A much better salary didn't hurt either.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:10 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
My family and I had serious plans to leave the Southern New Jersey/Philadelphia area and head to Charlotte, NC. We made two research visits in order to view potential homes and check out the school systems. At the end of our second trip to NC we took a drive down to Charleston, SC and fell in love with it immediately. Our family unanimously agreed to move there instead and we never made it back to NC.

So, we left NC before we even got there.

Does that count?

(Oh and we did NOT have any employment set up in either case.)
LOL! Glad it worked out for ya friend

And this goes for everyone leaving NC when I say I wish you all the best

Old 10-07-2007, 05:17 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
I moved from Charlotte in August out to Denver, CO. The move was due to a new job. I don't regret my choice. I've lived in NC for most of my life & I was ready to leave. The only downside, my parents still live in NC & the cost of a plane ticket is a killer! I don't miss the humidty, I can see the Rockies from where I live & I can take the light rail into work (so I don't have to spend a ton of money on gas & parking in downtown Denver).

Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
My mom moved from Black Mt, NC to East Tn, she was able to pay cash for a small place with the money from selling her place there in NC.

My granny moved from Asheville, she sold her place there for $290k (paid $24k originally). She moved to Spartanburg, paid cash for a house and had $160k left in the bank to live on. Granny is still working near Asheville, actually Spartanburg isn't far from NC.

Lot's of local's leaving the Asheville area due to the high cost of living and low wages. My sister refuses to leave and is now living in a house that they owe $450k on, I'm scared that she'll lose that house someday. She doesn't work and her husband's business is starting to slow (contractor).

Tony

Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Interesting thread. So far, it seems like the only places anyone's moving to are in PA, IN, or SC.
We are considering a move to TN. If the same opportunities were presented in other parts of the south (esp. AL or MS), we would consider that, too.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,470 times
Wow. Had no idea that would be stepping on toes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
No offense tsimmu friend, but I would like to keep the thread on the
original topic which is simply are people leaving NC and do
they already have employment waiting for them in their new relocation.
It would be real appreciated as I do not want it to drift into a whole other
area all together.
You can however start your own thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
We moved to MD last year.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
I moved from Charlotte in August out to Denver, CO. The move was due to a new job. I don't regret my choice. I've lived in NC for most of my life & I was ready to leave. The only downside, my parents still live in NC & the cost of a plane ticket is a killer! I don't miss the humidty, I can see the Rockies from where I live & I can take the light rail into work (so I don't have to spend a ton of money on gas & parking in downtown Denver).
To go from Charlotte to Denver is just a natural. When we went to Denver for a short time in 1967 we went from Charlotte also. I loved Denver and was very welcomed there. My husband's company told him not to ask for a transfer because they already had a waiting list--not that he would have; but it was nice for a short time. Driving time is three days to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina