Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 AM

19 posts, read 73,926 times

Advertisements

Well its a done deal. Got a job/transfer/promotion and will be relocating to Hickory area. I was curious about the school systems, I have done some extensive searching and it seems like the NE Hickory area is pretty nice also interested in Morganton but could not find much information about the school system there. I've also heard good things about Conover as well. Not sure about Lincolton and their schools but I wouldn't mind someone closer to the Charlotte side (I might be considering the outskirts of Gastonia, but not likely).

I'll likely start to rent but will have a budget of about 400k to buy a nice 4-5BR home to settle down into...

If anyone has any suggestions, please, I am all ears...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 01:53 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,641 times
Actually 400k in Hickory will put you in the "ritzy" part of town. That money goes a long way for a house in Hickory.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:21 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,617 times
I think renting is a good idea. It is unfortunate that you have to come down at the beginning of the school year and have to choose a school system first. I cannot give you advice on that.
When your wife watches the Charlotte news about the traffic jams and crime you might not be as interested in being near the big city as you are right now. If you have that kind of budget take a look at getting on Lake Hickory. Perhaps a little boating will make the family forget the big city thing.
Good luck. From where are you coming anyway?

Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I think renting is a good idea. It is unfortunate that you have to come down at the beginning of the school year and have to choose a school system first. I cannot give you advice on that.
When your wife watches the Charlotte news about the traffic jams and crime you might not be as interested in being near the big city as you are right now. If you have that kind of budget take a look at getting on Lake Hickory. Perhaps a little boating will make the family forget the big city thing.
Good luck. From where are you coming anyway?
The lake is definately a possibility, I'm not a boater at all tho but my in laws live on a lake and its quite nice.

I'm coming from California, lived here my whole life. Big city, bay area. Traffic does not phase me. :-)

As for the schools, I have a 8 month old so schooling is a long long way away but I was curious about situating myself in the right place for his elementary school!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:24 AM

I am trying not to chuckle but when I think of the difference in life styles you are looking at..............wow. Cuisine in the bay area to livermush sandwiches.
I'm sorry. On the good side of things. You are a couple of hours from the ocean and a short drive to the mountains which you should love.
With no kids in school for a couple of years I would rent for a while for sure to get a feel for the area especially if you are going to get into high priced housing. It would be too easy to get into a house, decide you wanted to be elsewhere and losing a chunk of bucks.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I am trying not to chuckle but when I think of the difference in life styles you are looking at..............wow. Cuisine in the bay area to livermush sandwiches.
I'm sorry. On the good side of things. You are a couple of hours from the ocean and a short drive to the mountains which you should love.
With no kids in school for a couple of years I would rent for a while for sure to get a feel for the area especially if you are going to get into high priced housing. It would be too easy to get into a house, decide you wanted to be elsewhere and losing a chunk of bucks.
Livermush sandwiches? Do you mean Portobello sandwiches?

It'll be a change but thats cool, life is all about changes. My wife is from the northeastern part of Tennessee (johnson city) so don't worry, I know what kind of change it will be.

Thanks for your replies, btw, is the golfing in Hickory decent?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:41 PM

I did a yellow page search and there are a number of courses in Hickory. Seem to be more in Salisbury. Remember you will be 100 miles west of Pinehurst and 100 miles east of Asheville where Mr. Woods just contracted to design his first course.
In the winter you play on brown grass but you can play year around.
You are also about 100 miles (little less actually) to Johnson City.
That is the neat thing about Hickory: Its central location. When checking flights you are triangulated by Charlotte, Greensboro or Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina