Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Used it as a doorstop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,711 times
Of course the two biggies are Albermarle and Pamlico, but there are smaller ones like Stump Sound, Bogue Sound, Back Sound, Core Sound. That's all I can come up with of the top of my head. Any others?

Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,711 times
Who can name the three Large Bays located off N.C. (one shared with S.C.)

Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 AM

42 posts, read 92,813 times
The three bays are Raleigh, Onslow, and Long.

What is the date that NC seceded from the union?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
Who can name the three Large Bays located off N.C. (one shared with S.C.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
The three bays are Raleigh, Onslow, and Long.

""What is the date that NC seceded from the union?
""

May 20thy 1861 at 1;32 pm in Raleigh , NC politicans voted unanimous; to secede.

Why was NC, seemingly so excluded from experenceing majour battles.? as in so few as compaired to the 200 mile all around NC.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ody View Post
""

May 20thy 1861 at 1;32 pm in Raleigh , NC politicans voted unanimous; to secede.

Why was NC, seemingly so excluded from experenceing majour battles.? as in so few as compaired to the 200 mile all around NC.
The 2 main theaters in the Civil War were the Eastern theater, where the main objective was the capture of Richmond & the Western theater where the objectives were the capture of New Orleans to open the Mississippi & split the Confederacy, and the capture of Chattanooga & Atlanta which were major rail centers, which would further split the Confederacy.

It was also known that secession was opposed by a majority of North Carolinians. The coastal region was under Union control early in the war, & there was great opposition to the Confederacy in most of the rest of the state. It was neither a major rail center nor a threat of any magnitude. The Heroes of America were operating throughout the Piedmont with a goal of the downfall of the Confederacy & in the mountains, like in East Tennessee, the support for the Confederacy was minimal.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Damn.

So NCers were all traitors to the confederacy? I know the mountain areas had little in common with the plantation owners in the coastal region, but I've always had the impression the vast majority supported the confederacy.

I'm chalking your account up to "the victors write the history books".

Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Damn.

So NCers were all traitors to the confederacy? I know the mountain areas had little in common with the plantation owners in the coastal region, but I've always had the impression the vast majority supported the confederacy.

I'm chalking your account up to "the victors write the history books".
Read A Separate Peace in the November issue of Our State Magazine concerning the Heroes of America. The Civil War: A Separate Peace | Our State Magazine Feel free to read the rest of the series that's online. Note that I did not say that all North Carolinians were against the Confederacy.

I didn't post the next question on the assumption that there would be challenges. Want to challenge that it had neither the capital of the Confederacy nor a major rail center?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM

What was the name of the massacre that occurred in the mountains during the Civil War?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What was the name of the massacre that occurred in the mountains during the Civil War?

Are u refuring to the Shelton Lural massacre

where the youngest was 15 years old; exacuted by Confederate troops for not adhearing to the mandatory draft;? imposed by presedent of CSA Jefferson Davis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina