Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Good and bad experiences regarding relocation to North Carolina, strip malls and no culture, climate and weather conditions, draw to NC, low taxes, slow paced lifestyle

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 AM

91 posts, read 455,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Now that you have moved to NC, are you glad that you did? Has it been as wonderful as you thought it would be before you moved or did it not live up to your expectations? I know very little about the area except those that are not satisfied with the price of where they live, tend to move there. Please tell us what your experiences have been, good and bad since so many seem to be interested in making NC there next home. Thank you.

I have recently moved here and absolutely love it. I felt welcomed as soon as we moved in. The friendliness of people is a positive change. The schools offer more for my son. So far so good.

Gia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
It's looking more and more like we'll be stuck in MA for a while to come. I thought I had a job lined up in the triangle area but they are dragging their feet but throwing me enough bones to try to keep me interested. Meantime, my oldest starts his junior year in HS. If we're going to be here, I can't stay underemployed. The whole idea of NC was to rebuild finances. So,though my job offers wonderful flexibility, it offers NO mental challenge and a mediocre salary that I could double by jumping back into the fast lane.

I've started the process and after sending out some inquiries, am in the running for 2 jobs, both high end salaries. One wouldn't require much travel at all (very unusual for the type of work I do) so I'm most interested in that.

In the meantime, hubby has started to make some inquiries in NC but his best bet for getting a company interested in him long distance is Charlotte since he's in the financial industry. If we were to move to Raleigh, I don't think he'd have a problem finding employment once he were here and local but if no one is going to move us for my job, you have to go with your strengths. I'm not even sure what we'd do about moving at this point. It's a bit late to start pulling a 16, almost 17 year old out of school.

I'll keep reading the NC forums and hoping but we're house hunting again in MA. We figure after renting a year, hopefully adding to our equity that we pulled out of the house we sold and continuing to repair our credit rating, we'll be ready to buy next summer or fall.

Guess that doesn't answer the question of "are you glad you moved". It's more like "I wish I had!"

Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
It's looking more and more like we'll be stuck in MA for a while to come. I thought I had a job lined up in the triangle area but they are dragging their feet but throwing me enough bones to try to keep me interested. Meantime, my oldest starts his junior year in HS. If we're going to be here, I can't stay underemployed. The whole idea of NC was to rebuild finances. So,though my job offers wonderful flexibility, it offers NO mental challenge and a mediocre salary that I could double by jumping back into the fast lane.

I've started the process and after sending out some inquiries, am in the running for 2 jobs, both high end salaries. One wouldn't require much travel at all (very unusual for the type of work I do) so I'm most interested in that.

In the meantime, hubby has started to make some inquiries in NC but his best bet for getting a company interested in him long distance is Charlotte since he's in the financial industry. If we were to move to Raleigh, I don't think he'd have a problem finding employment once he were here and local but if no one is going to move us for my job, you have to go with your strengths. I'm not even sure what we'd do about moving at this point. It's a bit late to start pulling a 16, almost 17 year old out of school.

I'll keep reading the NC forums and hoping but we're house hunting again in MA. We figure after renting a year, hopefully adding to our equity that we pulled out of the house we sold and continuing to repair our credit rating, we'll be ready to buy next summer or fall.

Guess that doesn't answer the question of "are you glad you moved". It's more like "I wish I had!"

We're in the same boat as you except it's hubby who's the one looking. I'd never find a company willing to hire me out of state in my field. While we have no kids, we do have a fair amount of equity in our home BUT i refuse to sell now, move and live off the equity while we look for jobs in NC. I'd rather use the equity towards another home. so we sit and wait for hubby to find work. we're now going on a year of waiting.

puffle i think it's smart of you to "check out" other states before committing to MA. not that MA is a bad place.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
It's more likely that I'll find the job that will relocate us--especially if it's Raleigh, but my husband at least has a shot with Charlotte so that doubles our chances. Like you, we're not moving without at least ONE of us having a job.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,705 times
This is an interesting thread.I haven't moved, but I plan on relocating to NC hopefully in the near future. Like next year.
Believe it or not I can’t take the lack of civility here in NY. Don’t get me wrong there are a lot of things about NY I love born and raised here. It truly is a city that never sleeps, and you can literally get a burger at 4am if you want.
But at 44 I’m a little over it.

I can live here with no problem. I'm not saying I'm rich and or wealthy for that matter. I have a good job working in one of the biggest library systems here and can afford to pay my rent. I’m a sensible kinds gal. I know how to defer my pleasure; I rather buy and cook 5 pound of chicken wings fry up some potatoes and onions, make a salad and invite some friend over for some drinks and a movie. Which, if you know about NY? Cost less then sitting in a movie then going out afterwards for drinks and dinner.

I want to live in a place were people haven't forgotten how to be courteous to one another. And since I’m about to take a giant step and marry my fiancé from Holland, and dealing with immigration it could be a lot less stressful in NC then NY.

We’re thinking of Chapel Hill, Cary, Carrboro area. So we are looking forward to visiting sometime next year and I’ll be posting my resume and looking for an apartment.

My kids are grown and buying a house is something we are not looking into right now.
So, a different pace and peace of mind are at the top of the list.

And I am fully aware that NC is NOT NY.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I know you want to hear from people moving here, or recently moved here, but since responses are a bit slow today I thought I would tell you what I know okay?

First of all, NC is a beautiful state. Well you say, all states have some beautiful areas, lol. But here, 90% of the state is beautiful - which I don't think is true of many other states. We are very green (when not in the midst of August!) and have many beautiful flowering trees and plants. Our winters are short and tolerable. Our summer heat is short and tolerable (for most of us!). Our springs and falls are spectacular. It just makes you happy to walk outside your door at least 300 days a year!

The pace of life is apparently slower than other areas of the country,which so many people are really searching for after living in dog eat dog environments.

People are friendly and welcoming. This is even a bit disconcerting to some newcomers when they get here - they are very suspicious of anyone who strikes up a conversation with them at random. But here, we talk to each other, even just in passing. This includes in grocery store lines, in elevators, doctors offices, city buses, just everywhere!

Taxes here are very low compared to many states in the northeast and west - which allows many who would have never been able to purchase a home to get not just a home, but often their dream home!

I could go on and on, but hopefully this will give you a bit of an inkling as to what the attractions are to so many relocating here
sounds like your area is just like Baton Rouge, La. We moved from Florida(the crabby people state) to La, and NC sounds great too. Maybe we will move there next!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
sounds like your area is just like Baton Rouge, La. We moved from Florida(the crabby people state) to La, and NC sounds great too. Maybe we will move there next!
Glad to know you are enjoying my old home town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina