Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 03:32 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times

Advertisements

For those insured under these providers or who are shopping around, this article is important to note (and makes me wonder if other insurers will follow suit)

Some insurers end homeowners policies without auto policy, too | JournalNow.com

Quote:
This year, two of the most popular underwriters of homeowners insurance policies in North Carolina -- Allstate and N.C. Farm Bureau -- adopted underwriting guidelines that link homeowners policies with auto policies across the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
Good information to know. Thanks for posting.

I don't have a problem with it at all. Its up to them to determine how they want to run their business. I would imagine they'll lose more customers than they'll gain which is also their right.

In all honesty, my opinion is both of these companies are overpriced for the services they offer anyway. But again, its their right.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
These two were the about the only holdouts, all the other large companies had stopped taking homeowner's alone years ago.

It makes no sense for an insured not to have a package policy anyway, the multi policy discount is way too big to pass up on.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
It makes no sense for an insured not to have a package policy anyway, the multi policy discount is way too big to pass up on.
There are other variables. The homeowner's insurance we initially took out cancelled our policy when we started raising llamas. That's why we went with Farm Bureau. (I suppose we're safe with them up to the point where circumstances require we make a claim. Keeping our fingers x-d ) We've had Nationwide auto insurance for 14 years. We then went with Foremost to insure our motorcycles, with Nationwide's blessing. The NW secretary who wrote up our policies sympathized when we notified her of the switch, saying "yeah, I know. Nationwide is way too expensive for bikes."

For us, it is cheaper to have these separate underwriters (believe me, I check every couple of years in an effort to trim the cost ). I believe that insurers might tout savings on combined policies when much of it is just plain convenience for the customer. Cheaper though it is, it's a paaainn managing these policies.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
There are other variables. The homeowner's insurance we initially took out cancelled our policy when we started raising llamas. That's why we went with Farm Bureau. (I suppose we're safe with them up to the point where circumstances require we make a claim. Keeping our fingers x-d ) We've had Nationwide auto insurance for 14 years. We then went with Foremost to insure our motorcycles, with Nationwide's blessing. The NW secretary who wrote up our policies sympathized when we notified her of the switch, saying "yeah, I know. Nationwide is way too expensive for bikes."
[/quote]
For us, it is cheaper to have these separate underwriters (believe me, I check every couple of years in an effort to trim the cost ). I believe that insurers might tout savings on combined policies when much of it is just plain convenience for the customer. Cheaper though it is, it's a paaainn managing these policies. [/quote]

when I mean package, I only mean home and auto. Did you quote your auto with Farm Bureau? I usually never package toys with auto and home.... I usually place them with Progressive or GMAC.

Have you tried giving all your policies to an independent agent? Nationwide and Farm Bureau are both captive agencies, meaning they can only offer you Nationwide or Farm Bureau. An independent agent will be able to pick and choose where to put what, based on what is most beneficial. You should check a few, as not every agency carries every carrier. Its much easier to call one agent that has all of your policies, even if they are scattered through different carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina