Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 04:00 PM

399 posts, read 719,757 times

Advertisements

I was stationed at Seymour Johnson in the early 00's. It was a nice little town. I experienced my first snowy winter there and all four seasons. Big deal for me since I came from a tropical climate. Coming from a from a big city, Goldsboro was like another world. But I enjoyed it. I remember taking trips to Raleigh on some weekends. Good times. The biggest attraction in town was the big Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
The biggest attraction is still the Walmart

Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
Well they do have a Sam's Club and Wilbur's BBQ

Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Best thing to come out of Goldsboro is ......70E!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
The biggest attraction is still the Walmart
Yeah bit now there are TWO Walmarts, the one at Rosewood was not there in the early 2000s. The county as a whole has gained population, but the city has lost it. The best thing to say about it is still it's not to far from everywhere else. I think in my lifetime it will eventually grow to be a bedroom community for Raleigh. Especially if they bring rail here.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Best thing to come out of Goldsboro is ......70E!
No, the best thing is 70 WEST which takes you towards civilization (The Triangle). 70 East takes you to podunk towns (Kinston, New Bern) which are dying economically.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
No, the best thing is 70 WEST which takes you towards civilization (The Triangle). 70 East takes you to podunk towns (Kinston, New Bern) which are dying economically.
You could make that argument for Kinston, even though from what I've seen lately I think that city has passed the worst of it's times, but the numbers don't bear that out for any of the other cities E of Goldsboro. New Bern, Havelock, Newport, MHC, and Beaufort have all grown over the last decade. I understand you don't like the area, and that's your right. I don't like New Bern, myself. Even though it may not be for you that does not mean you should constantly disparage the area and denigrate those who live there and enjoy it.

You've said in the past that a bi part of your attitude is not only that you do not enjoy it there but you don't have the means to leave. Well there is not some invisible wall keeping you withing the city limits. When I lived down that way i was constantly going to Raleigh, DC, and Myrtle Beach on the weekend. As well as exploring the communities of ENC, like driving out to Lake Mattamuskeet in the winter to see the Swans, going to the the Estuary in Little Washington or the Aquarium at PKS. Instead of being miserable, find your fun. At the same time take baby steps to your goal of leaving ENC.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:04 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Hold on, I am not disparaging the area of coastal NC. I am informing people of the truth. And the truth is that it is not a good area to move to unless you are a 70 plus year old retiree. If you are younger and not in the military there are many other regions that have more to offer (better schools, modern amenities, and better healthcare).

My husband is born and raised right here in New Bern and he tells me that this area is dying. He would know because he has owned his own business here for over 20 years. There is barely any new commercial constuction, the housing market is dead, and many stores have CLOSED since I moved here 4 years age. The little bit of an economy this region had before the recession was driven by seniors (with exception to military families) spending money. Seniors have cut back on their spending, thus this region is suffering.

There are MANY posters who have said this is NOT the ideal area to move to. Raleigh and Cary (where I'm from) is not the ideal area for many people either. We have the right to state our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina