Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Insurance giant United Healthcare has ranked the "healthiest states" according to factors like diet, exercise, smoking, obesity, etc. North Carolina is ranked #32. Our lowest scores were in Diabetes and Smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Insurance giant United Healthcare has ranked the "healthiest states" according to factors like diet, exercise, smoking, obesity, etc. North Carolina is ranked #32. Our lowest scores were in Diabetes and Smoking.
Thanks for linking. It's encouraging to see the rate of smoking adults drop significantly. It's equally discouraging to see some other metrics. Diabetes is a HUGE problem.

Not that #32 is anything to brag about but we are higher ranked that anything below us or next to use in the Southeast. Only Virginia ranks higher at 20th. This is probably due to the wealth and better diet/healthcare in the greater DC suburbs.

The bottom rankings are as follows:
40: Missouri
41: West Virginia
42: Nevada
43: Kentucky
44: Texas
45: South Carolina
46: Alabama
47: Arkansas
48: Oklahoma
49: Louisiana
50: Mississippi

This is pretty telling about the poor diet, health and lifestyles of many Southerners. I suspect that one of the big culprits of these rankings is fried food.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
or the 18th unhealthiest?

Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Thanks for linking. It's encouraging to see the rate of smoking adults drop significantly. It's equally discouraging to see some other metrics. Diabetes is a HUGE problem.

Not that #32 is anything to brag about but we are higher ranked that anything below us or next to use in the Southeast. Only Virginia ranks higher at 20th. This is probably due to the wealth and better diet/healthcare in the greater DC suburbs.

The bottom rankings are as follows:
40: Missouri
41: West Virginia
42: Nevada
43: Kentucky
44: Texas
45: South Carolina
46: Alabama
47: Arkansas
48: Oklahoma
49: Louisiana
50: Mississippi

This is pretty telling about the poor diet, health and lifestyles of many Southerners. I suspect that one of the big culprits of these rankings is fried food.
I don't think it's fried food, but rather some people's mentality. Some people have been taught for generations that it's okay to be "big", and thin people have always been called "poor". I know several obese people who don't think anything is wrong with eating a king size Snickers followed by a Mountain Dew every single day. When I try to suggest drinking a diet soda instead to save 200 calories, their response is "that tastes nasty".

Another problem where I live is in the black community. Young black women desire to have huge butts to be sexy, and the young black men like them, so there's no reason for them to try to slim down.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't think it's fried food, but rather some people's mentality. Some people have been taught for generations that it's okay to be "big", and thin people have always been called "poor". I know several obese people who don't think anything is wrong with eating a king size Snickers followed by a Mountain Dew every single day. When I try to suggest drinking a diet soda instead to save 200 calories, their response is "that tastes nasty".

Another problem where I live is in the black community. Young black women desire to have huge butts to be sexy, and the young black men like them, so there's no reason for them to try to slim down.
I remember a story on 20/20 or 60 minutes (or somewhere else) a few years ago. It was about a Black Minster that was crusading against Diabetes that's running rampant in many Black churches in the South. He discussed the food culture of the churches and what an important part it plays in the community. Fried foods was singled out as a huge culprit that has contributed to the very high rates of diabetes.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
or the 18th unhealthiest?
Well, technically 19th. It has 18 below it.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Black women don't have to be obese to have a nice, well-rounded posterior. Trust me on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I remember a story on 20/20 or 60 minutes (or somewhere else) a few years ago. It was about a Black Minster that was crusading against Diabetes that's running rampant in many Black churches in the South. He discussed the food culture of the churches and what an important part it plays in the community. Fried foods was singled out as a huge culprit that has contributed to the very high rates of diabetes.
It's very true, but in the South, that goes for both Blacks and Whites. Southern fare is generally the same among both groups; one just calls it "soul food" and the other calls it "country cooking."

Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
when I return home after getting a pack of smokes and some pork rinds...
I'll be sure to read that report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina