U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 21,603 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate within the next year. I am twenty-six years old, single, no children, and I have a masters degree in school counseling. I live in Illinois, and I am looking for a change in enviroment. I heard that the employment opportunities are endless for educated African Americans in these areas. I like going out to comedy and night clubs, shopping, hanging out at the beach. I am looking into the school districts in Charlotte and Raliegh. I love to travel and know that raliegh is near virgina, washington dc, south carolina, and florida. I also would like to start dating again at some point in my life. Ladies, I've heard alot of good things about southern men in these areas. Please fill me in!!! What is the average monthly rent and prices of homes in Charlotte and Raliegh. I need your help. Torn between Charlotte and Raliegh. PLEASE REPLY!!!!

Last edited by mz letta; 08-30-2007 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: added a question
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,330,594 times
I'm not a lady, but my opinion counts

Considering that you have a counseling degree, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job in either area. Both areas are dealing with explosive growth in the school systems and will need anyone who has the credentials. A new high school just opened in Charlotte, as well as an elementary school. The suburban districts are adding schools like crazy too.

Charlotte has more nightlife from what it sounds like (I've not really been to Raleigh that much), but I'm sure there's some in Raleigh too. There's tons of large universities in the Raleigh area.

You're right--Raleigh is relatively close to DC and Virginia. Depending on which part of Florida you're talking about, you could drive down in a day's time. Charlotte is 4 hours from Atlanta if you need to get away. Both areas are relatively close to beaches and mountains, too.

Charlotte was ranked as one of the best cities for African Americans several months ago, so this is a good selling point

I'm afraid I don't have the expertise as some of the other forum users, so this is about as much as I'm going to say. But feel free to check out the Raleigh and Charlotte forums. You'll learn a lot. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 AM

40 posts, read 172,203 times
Charlotte would be a good choice

Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 PM

245 posts, read 829,905 times
i say Charlotte but I am biased because we are moving there

Old 10-12-2007, 02:41 PM

23 posts, read 79,732 times
I’m in the same predicament. I’m torn between Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Raleigh. My brother lives in Chapel Hill (close to Raleigh) - he graduated UNC - and I have family in Greensboro (but not really interested in living there). I live in Florida now and though I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my 9 year stint here – I am definitely ready for a change. I am truly interested in moving to Charlotte but I’ve been getting so many mixed reviews. I will be going for a visit next month. It takes me about 10 hours to drive to Greensboro, which is about 45 minutes from Charlotte (I’m definitely not a speed-race driver!). I will let you know how it goes. I work in the architectural/engineering industry (preferably architectural) and there seems to be an abundance of a/e firms in the Charlotte area. I plan to move by 06/08 – God willing – my house here has been on the market for 4 months already. The real estate market is a bust in Florida and I definitely want to sell my house before I move. I’ve obtained information on some areas in Charlotte that you may be interested in – if so, pm me and I’ll forward it to you.
Good luck and God Bless!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM

241 posts, read 700,462 times
Charlotte has more to offer, and the future is brighter in the 'Queen City.' The city is progressive, diverse, and energetic..Dont know much about Raleigh besides the many Universities in the area!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:58 PM

3,126 posts, read 7,770,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
Charlotte has more to offer, and the future is brighter in the 'Queen City.' The city is progressive, diverse, and energetic..Dont know much about Raleigh besides the many Universities in the area!
Funny because you pretty much discribed Raleigh and Durham with that statement. Raleigh has a lot in the cards as far as downtown is concerned in the next few years. Also Raleigh is actually growing at a faster clip than Charlotte (not saying that's a good thing). Both cities have a lot to offer and Cahrlotte is bigger, but the Triangle area is only slightly smaller than the Charlotte area and Raleigh actually has a slightly higher population density than Charlotte does.

I'll be in Charlotte for a few days next week (only been there once for a day) and staying uptown close to the convention center. I think I'll be able to tell more about Charlotte after those few days. Raleigh actually has A LOT of nightlife and it seems like people from Charlotte don't think it has anything going for it!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 26,813 times
I am interested in knowing how the weather is in Charlotte and Raleigh. i want to live in warm weather all year round. also, what is considered the best area to live in both of those states? thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 26,813 times
the decent areas is for me a single woman who wants to be safe.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:31 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,946,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwsugar View Post
I am interested in knowing how the weather is in Charlotte and Raleigh. i want to live in warm weather all year round. also, what is considered the best area to live in both of those states? thanks
It gets cold here. You will have to go further south to Florida for warm weather year round. We have already had two days with snow flurries here. Most of us are also hoping and expecting a nice snowfall this year Our spring and fall are nice, whereas our summers are hot and humid. We have a nice balance of weather where our seasons change every three months and it's nice most of the year.

Both the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and Charlotte are considered the best cities to live in NC. Not sure what other state you're asking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina