Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,143 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Ben and I am new to this forum. As a first post I would like some of your adivse. I want to plan a kayak trip (self guided for the thrill), about 2 plus days of easy padling with primitive camping. Do any of you have any good ideas on what river I could do this on. I am having trouble finding rivers with evenly space (and easy to get to from the river) campgrounds. Any help would be awesome. Awesome to finally join a forum.

- Ben.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,125,251 times
Out west the New River is good for stuff like that. I can't really think of anywhere in the Triangle that would fit the bill unless you wanted to paddle around Falls Lake for a day or two.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben77 View Post
Hello, my name is Ben and I am new to this forum. As a first post I would like some of your adivse. I want to plan a kayak trip (self guided for the thrill), about 2 plus days of easy padling with primitive camping. Do any of you have any good ideas on what river I could do this on. I am having trouble finding rivers with evenly space (and easy to get to from the river) campgrounds. Any help would be awesome. Awesome to finally join a forum.
Are you asking about specifically North Carolina, or anywhere with good kayaking?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,127,591 times
Yep, more information needed. Are you looking for lots of whitewater, or slower rivers? There are several lazy rivers in the eastern part of the state (e.g., Tar, Lumber, Cape Fear, among others) that offer great back-to-nature experiences, but they aren't very challenging for experienced kayakers. You'll find much more action in the western part of the state where whitewater is easy to find. Here's a link that may help:

NC Paddletrails Association - Trail Maps

You might also google NC canoe/kayak outfitters and call to get their input. Most are extremely generous with their advice.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 AM

I am looking for a slow moving river to paddle down for the day that has multiple camp sites along the river. I think too much white water would be a problem as my kayak is 13.5 ft long. I was looking into the Neuse River.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Just to clarify, you want multiple camp sites but you're only going for the day? Why do you need camp sites if you're not spending the night?

At any rate, I paddled the Neuse many years ago but only for a very short section so I'm sorry I can't give much advice about it. It would seem to be fine for a day trip, though. I can definitely recommend the Lumber River in the southeastern part of the state. It's a little more "wild", and there are frequent sandbars where you can pull up to rest or have lunch. It's a great "get away from civilization" opportunity.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM

Sorry for the confussion, I was meaning a multiple day trip. But thanks for the ideas. The Lumber river sounds great.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM

881 posts, read 2,246,228 times
Haven't done it but the Haw River in Alamance Co. would be an option. They gave me a little booklet showing a few different trails.
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Haw River State Park

Canoeing and Kayaking Water Trails

Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 PM

^ Good call on the Haw. I would also mention that water levels in eastern NC rivers can swing wildly. Spring rains can make them treacherous in some places, and late summer droughts can mean frequent portaging is required. Before you go be sure to talk with an outfitter or someone who is familiar with the particular river you've chosen to get an idea of what you might be up against.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:50 PM

Ok. Thanks guys. I will deffinitly look into it when the weather warms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina