U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,191 times

Advertisements

Hi, Can Anyone Tell Me About Living In Carthage Or Cameron. Looking At Some Acreage There. Spent A Couple Of Days There But Didnt Have Too Much Time To Take A Hard Look At Eveything. Crime Stats And Poverty Levels Seem To Paint A Bleek Picture, Hope I'm Wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 PM

123 posts, read 476,509 times
Can I assume that you are looking at acreage between Carthage and Cameron? Carthage is the county seat. Has a Food Lion, Hardy's, McDonalds, but not much more.
Cameron has 11 antique stores, 2 gas stations, and that's it.
Both are about 15 minutes from Aberdeen/Southern Pines shopping.
Cameron has no crime. Carthage statistics are probably skewed because of the county jail. If an assault takes place in jail, it gets into Carthages statistics.
Carthage is safe. Cameron is safer. You can walk the streets of Carthage in complete safety. You can walk the street of Cameron in utter safety.
Poverty? Carthage has some. Cameron? It's invisible if it exists.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 18,631 times
havin fun,

Thanks so much for your help. Info was very valuable. We were down in Cameron last week and found a nice piece of property in the Steeple Chase Estates, ever heard of it ?. Its on 501 & 15. We loved the antique shops as well. Great to hear how safe it is there We are a looking for a small town where it's quiet and peaceful and still country.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Retiring South,
Is Steeple Chase Estates in Moore or Lee County? Carthage or Cameron mail delivery? Or Sanford?
I've never heard of Steeple Chase Estates.
If you can pinpoint it for me, I'd be happy to find out what I can.
15/501 runs through Moore County. North to South. At Carthage it runs East West. I'm guessing Steeple Chase is on this E/W section. Moore county taxes are cheaper than Lee county (to the east).

Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Havin fun,

Truly appreciate your help ! I'm hoping this site is in Cameron. We visited The Dewberry Deli, and left from there. It's Lamms Grove Road ( SR 1663 ), says its in Greenwood Township ?.

Also hoping we would be in an area that dosen't necessarily see bad Hurricanes or Tornadoes. What section of the Carolinas would we be considered in, looks like south east ?.

Any and all information you can provide us with would certainly help in our decision to purchase property. We came home with a very possitive feeling about North Carolina.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 AM

Having Fun,

By the way, it's Moore County.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:38 AM

gotcha! That area is in "the county" Pays only Moore County taxes-no city taxes. Mail delivery is from Cameron, hence the Cameron address. That is out in the country! Right now, mostly farms. Cow tipping is more popular than golf in that area. You'll have a 15/20 minute drive to a grocery store in Carthage or Sanford. Not much to do in that part of the county, but, if its peace and quiet you're after, that is the place.
You'll probably have well water and septic, unless the developer has tapped into the East Moore water supply. Please check on this. It is important.
Hope this helped!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:37 PM

havin fun,
Thank you so very much for all the research !. We had a good chuckle about the cow tipping. Didn't think it was true until our son was brought home by our local town police after he and his friends did that for fun. This is exactly what we are looking for. We were very pleased to see how many of the same retail stores and resturant chains are in there. We have a 15 - 20 minute ride to these stores now as well.

Hope to be able to ask many more questions as time passes on. You've been a lot more helpful then the local realtor

Thanks again

Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 AM

There seems to be some confusion about the delivey of mail to Steeple Chase. My wife talked to the carrier who delivers Lamms Grove Rd. The carrier says she doesn't have it. Maybe Carthage? They deliver to Lamms Grove Rd also. So, before you get your mail forwarded-please check!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 AM

77 posts, read 253,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRING SOUTH View Post
You've been a lot more helpful then the local realtor

Thanks again
Retiring South,

We are researching the same general area for property as well. I can tell you that you are 100% correct when you say that "HavinFun" is a lot more helpful then the local realtor". He has been a tremendous help to us so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina