U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 PM
 
22 posts, read 81,707 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the State, Federal and income tax rate is in NC? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2007, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
847 posts, read 3,357,226 times
Reputation: 314
This will help:
N.C. Department of Revenue: Home
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 05:54 AM
 
75 posts, read 319,470 times
Reputation: 32
I just moved here from PA where the state income tax was something like 3% (or maybe 2.8%).....????.....don't quote me on the %. And now in NC, it's 8%.

Anyway, I keep reading posts about how taxes are lower in NC. Taxes aren't the reason that I moved here, but could someone explain what people are talking about? The 5% difference in state income tax has made quite a dent in my paycheck.

Yes, I don't have to pay local (municipality) income tax, like I had to in PA....it was 1.5%, but that still doesn't make up the difference.

Are people talking more about real estate tax %'s being lower here???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 06:05 AM
 
709 posts, read 819,923 times
Reputation: 80
Add up your income tax and your real estate tax and bingo its as high as anyplace else. Yes the 8% is the high end of the state income tax and yes most make it to that level. So the 2000 dollar income tax is more like 4000 here than we paid in NJ but the realestate tax of 8000 in nj is now 3300 then they tax the two cars 400 and tax your food and clothes and walla the same tax rates.

Yes the same tax rate or better the same tax baggage when you add everything up from NJ and NC, just taxed differently but comes out the same in the wash.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 06:17 AM
 
75 posts, read 319,470 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Add up your income tax and your real estate tax and bingo its as high as anyplace else. Yes the 8% is the high end of the state income tax and yes most make it to that level. So the 2000 dollar income tax is more like 4000 here than we paid in NJ but the realestate tax of 8000 in nj is now 3300 then they tax the two cars 400 and tax your food and clothes and walla the same tax rates.

Yes the same tax rate or better the same tax baggage when you add everything up from NJ and NC, just taxed differently but comes out the same in the wash.
Thanks for the additional explanation. I'm no tax expert....but I thought something seemed fishy, when I previously did the math.

Question.....what do you mean by "most of us make it to that level"? Again, I'm no tax expert. Whatever my company takes out of my paycheck, is what I figure I owe. This may be a dumb question, but are the state taxes higher/lower based on salary? What salary range is taxed at the 8%?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 AM
 
709 posts, read 819,923 times
Reputation: 80
I think its at the 50K range. Most families that live down here in the triangle make above the median of 48K

I gotta figure out my tax stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 8,202,440 times
Reputation: 1556
Don't forget if you itemize, you get to take off your deductions to figure your NC taxable income. That makes a big difference for us. I know we paid 3% in IL, but it was on everything. I'm not sure if that's how it is in PA or not. I agree though, it still seems high.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 AM
 
22 posts, read 81,707 times
Reputation: 15
Does anyone have any info on Federal and State tax in NC? I checked out the NC IRS website but only found income tax info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 AM
 
22 posts, read 81,707 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiemoon0810 View Post
I just moved here from PA where the state income tax was something like 3% (or maybe 2.8%).....????.....don't quote me on the %. And now in NC, it's 8%.

Anyway, I keep reading posts about how taxes are lower in NC. Taxes aren't the reason that I moved here, but could someone explain what people are talking about? The 5% difference in state income tax has made quite a dent in my paycheck.

Yes, I don't have to pay local (municipality) income tax, like I had to in PA....it was 1.5%, but that still doesn't make up the difference.

Are people talking more about real estate tax %'s being lower here???
The Real Estate taxes are definetly lower in NC then they are in Long Island, NY. I guess it really comes down to what the RE taxes are where you originally came from. For me personally, the RE tax is a third in NC for a brand new home then I pay now in Long Island.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2007, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 8,202,440 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChereicome View Post
Does anyone have any info on Federal and State tax in NC? I checked out the NC IRS website but only found income tax info.
What do you mean by federal tax in NC? By state do you mean sales tax? The only taxes I'm aware of as an individual for NC are state income, real estate, sales and personal property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top