Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 AM

15 posts, read 38,774 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband and I will be moving to Pinehurst at the end of next year and are wondering about what the town and surrounding area looks like. Would any who use this forum have photos they are willing to share. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 04:57 AM

123 posts, read 511,490 times
Sorry, no pictures of Pinehurst. Pinehurst is a smaller version of Provincetown, MA-without the ocean. Small shops, good restaurants, brick sidewalks. Friendly atmosphere, leisurely pace. Homes are extremely well kept. As you move away from the downtown, areas are identified by golf course #'s. PH has 8 golf courses. Or identified by areas (Marina, horse track, Lawn and Tennis, etc.).
Abutting town of Aberdeen has bowling alley, every fast food place you can think of, most "chain"restaurants (chilis, outback,appleby, etc.), 5 different grocery stores, car dealerships, just about everything you'd find in a medium sized city, only with a rural feel to it.
Southern Pines also touches PH borders. Small (by northern standards) downtown with quaint stores and restaurants.
Reservoirs, with hiking trails, huge hospital and accompanying Dr. offices, 42 golf courses, horse, llama, alpaca farms and safety. Always the feeling of safety in any of these towns.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 AM

Smile Pinehurst bound

Thanks so much Having Fun. The info you provided gives me a concise summary of the area. I have been reading the Pilot newspaper to get an idea of what the area has to offer and what issues are important to the residents who live there. I am very much looking forward to the move. My husband will retire at 52 from the PA State Police and I will hopefully continue to work in my field (Aging Care Management). We plan to rent first to allow a thourough search before buying a home. Any assist is welcome and thanks again.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:29 AM

123 posts, read 511,490 times
Since you've been reading the Pilot, you know that our biggest issue right now is "THE ROUNDABOUT" and how many trees it will effect. Not the murder rate, not robberies, not car-jacking, not burglaries. Trees! Save the trees in Pinehurst. Save the one tree in Southern Pines. Imagine if tree saving was YOUR biggest problem!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Talking Pinehurst bound

LOL! Your sense of humor Havin fun is great! Some of the stories in my local paper would have you in stitches I'm sure. Especially the outbursts in our city council meetings. I think we are going to enjoy living in your little corner of the world. It does sound eerily familiar ha.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 12,242 times
I have many pictures of the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. My wife and I will be retiring there soon. We have a 1 acre lot on one of the golf courses that we will be building a house on. Let me know if you are still interested in pictures. It is one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:03 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWESTCO View Post
I have many pictures of the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. My wife and I will be retiring there soon. We have a 1 acre lot on one of the golf courses that we will be building a house on.
Where are you moving from and what attracted you to the Pinehurst area? I am asking because my husband and I are also making plans for the future and have heard such good things about Pinehurst and how welcoming it is, so I am always curious to hear someone's opinion and impressions of the area.
Thanks.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Pinehurs tbound

We are moving from PA for a number of reasons. Both of our children will live in the south (one now in resides in Charlotte, the other soon to be near Cherry Point). My husband loves golfing. The winter driving gets more and more difficult the older we get. I will hopefully continue to work in the Aging Care Management field as I have for the past 12 yrs. We kayak and would like to live near a lake if possible. All indictors point to Pinehurst being a good match.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 AM

4 posts, read 12,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Where are you moving from and what attracted you to the Pinehurst area? I am asking because my husband and I are also making plans for the future and have heard such good things about Pinehurst and how welcoming it is, so I am always curious to hear someone's opinion and impressions of the area.
Thanks.
We are moving from California. We like the Pinehurst area because it is beautiful, low crime, has a top rated hospital, city college, large art community, and of course golf. Housing is actually affordable (compared to Calif). If you are interested in lake life check out the Seven Lakes area. It's about 7 miles outside Pinehurst and has a large 1,000 acre lake for fishing and boating.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
I have to laugh at the Provincetown comparison. I think of Provincetown as a quaint town architecturally but the epitome of (often wild) gay culture. I think of Pinehurst as primarily retired Repulicans! I suggest renting a condo, often called a "villa" at one of the local golf courses for a week and explore the area. I think that you will either really like or really not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina