Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 12:02 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We moved too far south and not close enough to a major city which is what we were used to.

Overall, the state's rankings for schools is dreadful. One study released while we lived in SC ranked SC as 49th with only Mississippi behind them. Our elementary school was a Blue Ribbon winner, but it still had issues. No one wanted to spend a penny on schools where we were. They tried adding a 1% sales tax to help and increase the property taxes on real estate and real property and those ideas were voted down by something like 79%. It was crazy! This past election, they finally got the 1% sales tax increase to pass. With non-residents and businesses footing the school taxes, there are issues, but it seems like there's always issues with any taxes. You can't make everyone happy ever.
Statewide there are issues and I'm certainly not denying that. When it comes to rankings, it depends on what exactly is being looked at; the state fares better in some and worse in others, but usually towards the bottom in either case--which unfortunately is also true for most Southern states in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
By the way, I'm sorry but NC BBQ is A LOT better than SC BBQ. I can't resist saying!
Lies!

Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,452,548 times
I've often wondered what South Carolinians think of NC. I don't visit that state as often as Virginia, and it's usually North Myrtle when I do so that barely counts. I've grown up around Raleigh, but never met anyone from SC at school. I have one friend from Greenville, SC that I met a few years back, and she's practically the only one. I feel like the assumptions that NC is so liberal and transplant saturated is a little exaggerated. For the most part, in practically all the rural areas, that's not the case. My friend often told me everyone in SC believes NC is so liberal, and I was a little shocked since I met her after the whole Amendment 1 hysteria. But I guess it would appear more liberal if you're coming from SC.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I've often wondered what South Carolinians think of NC. I don't visit that state as often as Virginia, and it's usually North Myrtle when I do so that barely counts. I've grown up around Raleigh, but never met anyone from SC at school. I have one friend from Greenville, SC that I met a few years back, and she's practically the only one. I feel like the assumptions that NC is so liberal and transplant saturated is a little exaggerated. For the most part, in practically all the rural areas, that's not the case. My friend often told me everyone in SC believes NC is so liberal, and I was a little shocked since I met her after the whole Amendment 1 hysteria. But I guess it would appear more liberal if you're coming from SC.
Depends on what part of SC they're from, how often they visit NC, and where in NC they visit. Most are visiting Charlotte though, so that skews perceptions just a bit.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Depends on what part of SC they're from, how often they visit NC, and where in NC they visit. Most are visiting Charlotte though, so that skews perceptions just a bit.
That's true. It's probably a different story down in Charlotte, but up here in Raleigh, you don't see a ton of SC license plates. Like I said, I didn't grow up with anyone from SC around Raleigh. Grew up with plenty of transplanted Virginians, New Yorkers, Floridians, and Georgians. But no one from SC. I'm kind of shocked I haven't been acquainted with more South Carolinians, but I'm sure there has to be some reasons. Raleigh is much further from SC than Charlotte. If South Carolinians move to NC, Charlotte would make more sense.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 11-13-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times
Quote:
That's true. It's probably a different story down in Charlotte, but up here in Raleigh, you don't see a ton of SC license plates. Like I said, I didn't grow up with anyone from SC around Raleigh. Grew up with plenty of transplanted Virginians, New Yorkers, Floridians, and Georgians. But no one from SC. I'm kind of shocked I haven't been acquainted with more South Carolinians, but I'm sure there has to be some reasons. Raleigh is much further from SC than Charlotte. If South Carolinians move to NC, Charlotte would make more sense.
Tons of SC plates all around Charlotte. Many work in Charlotte, but live in SC because it costs less. If people from SC are living or working in Raleigh, chances are high they've changed their vehicle registration so you won't see many palmetto trees and crescent moons. It is a gorgeous license plate.....about 500 million times better looking than the ugly thing I've got now. So there's a positive for SC! Lots of places have ugly plates, but I think NY has to be the worst....what do you expect when a blind guy picked it?

Old 11-14-2014, 05:15 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,923,927 times
SC news is all over the Charlotte observer and the news on TV....Charlotte feels like an extension of SC....I mean Columbia and Greenville are 90 miles away or less (even closer than Raleigh area)...heck, Charleaton is further away from those cities.....I don't think many South Carolinians visit other places in NC, just like most North Carolinains probably visit Myrtle Beach the most with Charleston being second....

Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
SC news is all over the Charlotte observer and the news on TV....Charlotte feels like an extension of SC....I mean Columbia and Greenville are 90 miles away or less (even closer than Raleigh area)...heck, Charleaton is further away from those cities.....I don't think many South Carolinians visit other places in NC, just like most North Carolinains probably visit Myrtle Beach the most with Charleston being second....
Even Raleigh is a good 2 and a half hour drive from Charlotte, same story with Richmond. In that case, it's not like we visit Charlotte too often or have a reason. Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle are very popular for people around Raleigh/Durham. I imagine this is the only time most people in the Triangle area actually visit SC. The Charleston/Hilton Head area is also quite popular, probably more so for Charlotte folks. When I visit SC, it's almost always North Myrtle. I've been to the Charleston area a few times, Columbia once, and I drive through Greenville/Spartanburg when I head down to Atlanta. In this case, I can't say I've visited SC often with the exception of North Myrtle. Probably the same story for South Carolinians. I imagine they don't visit our beaches, so they probably visit our mountains instead.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I've made it from Columbia to Charlotte in less than an hour. It's definitely not 90 miles away or even close!

When I lived in SC, I spent a great deal of time all over NC. I have family in the WS area so I saw them a great deal.....lots of time in Charlotte.....those Smokies.....the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've seen plenty of SC plates around NC and not just in Charlotte. I went to Charleston for vacation to tour the old homes, historic sites, aquarium, and other places. Went to Edisto for the beach. More family connections in Edisto.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've made it from Columbia to Charlotte in less than an hour. It's definitely not 90 miles away or even close!

When I lived in SC, I spent a great deal of time all over NC. I have family in the WS area so I saw them a great deal.....lots of time in Charlotte.....those Smokies.....the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've seen plenty of SC plates around NC and not just in Charlotte. I went to Charleston for vacation to tour the old homes, historic sites, aquarium, and other places. Went to Edisto for the beach. More family connections in Edisto.
I haven't been to Edisto Beach in years, but I love it. Very secluded and quaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina