Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times

Advertisements

I have found the county and state roads in SC to be in good to very good shape generally. The interstates to me are in bad shape. I am not an engineer to judge the condition of the bridges of any.

just attributed it to a business model to where the roads the tax payers use are maintained and the ones that travelers from/going elsewhere (interstate) are less maintained. My experience is with upstate SC and Lancaster York areas.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:46 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
i think the roads in rural areas actually tend to be worse.

The major interstate surfacing issue appears to be in the Columbia area.

The state is currently rebuilding the 385-85 interchange in Greenville, adding flyovers and eliminating the clover leaf design, and adding several new bridges for it. This is the 2nd largest project money wise in state history, with the first being a one-off project, the huge bridge over Charleston harbor to Mount Pleasant.

They have already resufrace some of 85 in this area and will do more, and they will adding lanes on both 385 and 85. They are alos currently widening Roper Mountain Road.

They have been able to find money for all of this without a raise in the gas tax.

the problem with gas tax is people can choose to travel less, and if gas gets back over 3 dollars a gallon, which is likely to happen at some point, they will drive even less. And also there are a lot more fuel efficient cars on the road these days. To me it makes more sense to fund roads with income tax revenue or other taxes. I support toll roads in the Mryble Beach area b/c those tourists put a a lot of strain on our roads, maybe around Charleston and Hilton Head too.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i think the roads in rural areas actually tend to be worse.

The major interstate surfacing issue appears to be in the Columbia area.

The state is currently rebuilding the 385-85 interchange in Greenville, adding flyovers and eliminating the clover leaf design, and adding several new bridges for it. This is the 2nd largest project money wise in state history, with the first being a one-off project, the huge bridge over Charleston harbor to Mount Pleasant.

They have already resufrace some of 85 in this area and will do more, and they will adding lanes on both 385 and 85. They are alos currently widening Roper Mountain Road.

They have been able to find money for all of this without a raise in the gas tax.

the problem with gas tax is people can choose to travel less, and if gas gets back over 3 dollars a gallon, which is likely to happen at some point, they will drive even less. And also there are a lot more fuel efficient cars on the road these days. To me it makes more sense to fund roads with income tax revenue or other taxes. I support toll roads in the Mryble Beach area b/c those tourists put a a lot of strain on our roads, maybe around Charleston and Hilton Head too.
Please refer to pages 8-16. And no, they haven't been able to find the money because there is no more extra money. Again, I would rather pay more and knowing my family is driving on a safe road that wont kill them.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/Committe...t%20Report.pdf

Let's not let this happen in SC. I rather not have that be on my conscience.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/us/02bridge.html

Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 PM

ok but the thing is, people can use the same 'we must do this for our children' arguments you used to call for increase in gas tax to call for an increase in income tax to fund something else.

and you've completely ignore my point about poor people and gas tax being regressive. you basically have said people who dont want to pay more gas tax are selfish.

i think that if the gas tax must increase, so should income tax.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
ok but the thing is, people can use the same 'we must do this for our children' arguments you used to call for increase in gas tax to call for an increase in income tax to fund something else.

and you've completely ignore my point about poor people and gas tax being regressive. you basically have said people who dont want to pay more gas tax are selfish.

i think that if the gas tax must increase, so should income tax.
Let me put it this way:

NET average cost to the consumer per year

Increase in gas tax: -$66.00
Decrease in income tax by 2% to 5%: +$689.00

NET CHANGE: +$623.00 per year.

Again that is $623.00 in average savings for the taxpayer with the gas tax factored in. Also lowering the income tax increases immigration into to state with more companies moving in and increasing the tax base further potentially lowering your taxes and increasing services.

I REALLY don't see how hard this is for you to understand. Maybe your one of those people who are content with bridges crumbling and damns breaking and costing lives and damage to property and rather wanna pay MORE in taxes and have less security?

Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 PM

you missed my point though.

you are saying people who don't want to pay more for gas tax are selfish, but you support paying less in tax total (higher gas tax but lower income tax), and somehow, that is not selfish. why isn't your support for lower income tax also selfish?

you invoked our children to promote a higher gas tax. it seems like people could do the same thing with income tax.

moreover, the poor generally don't have income tax liability in the state. the reduction in income tax rate is not going to offset the higher gas tax for them. this seems kind of obvious.

everything you say about the roads in SC is hyperbole. 'bridges crumbling'. 'damns breaking' there are some roads that need to be resurfaced, etc in the state but i don't think it is as bleak as you are making it out to be.

if our roads are truly dangerous, it is odd that the state would be cutting income tax. It seems like they could direct income tax revenue at roads if they wanted to.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-01-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
you missed my point though.

you are saying people who don't want to pay more for gas tax are selfish, but you support paying less in tax total (higher gas tax but lower income tax), and somehow, that is not selfish. why isn't your support for lower income tax also selfish?

you invoked our children to promote a higher gas tax. it seems like people could do the same thing with income tax.

moreover, the poor generally don't have income tax liability in the state. the reduction in income tax rate is not going to offset the higher gas tax for them. this seems kind of obvious.

everything you say about the roads in SC is hyperbole. 'bridges crumbling'. 'damns breaking' there are some roads that need to be resurfaced, etc in the state but i don't think it is as bleak as you are making it out to be.

if our roads are truly dangerous, it is odd that the state would be cutting income tax. It seems like they could direct income tax revenue at roads if they wanted to.
You're not getting it. It's not a mater of "if" our roads are dangerous, THEY ARE DANGEROUS. So far this fiscal year, more than 2,300 claims have been filed across the state relating damage to cars by the road. But don't let facts get in your way. Also that isn't a hyperbole, have you forgotten about last year?! DHEC is completely underfunded, because the state doesn't have the money to fund them. Even Haley told the news during her emergency press conference, that they simply don't have the money. Can't believe that I am reading from you.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
You're not getting it. It's not a mater of "if" our roads are dangerous, THEY ARE DANGEROUS. So far this fiscal year, more than 2,300 claims have been filed across the state relating damage to cars by the road. But don't let facts get in your way. Also that isn't a hyperbole, have you forgotten about last year?! DHEC is completely underfunded, because the state doesn't have the money to fund them. Even Haley told the news during her emergency press conference, that they simply don't have the money. Can't believe that I am reading from you.
It's literally impossible to have a logical discussion with him...letting you know now.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:27 PM

says the person who never wins a debate with me and follows me around on here looking to pick fights with me. i made my profile private in an attempt to make that more difficult for you.

you act like you are an expert on everything but never explain how that is.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-04-2016 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
ok well that is your opinion.

I drive the roads every day and so do thousands of other people and we are all safe and sound. there are some roads that could use resurfacing but it is a far cry from being dangerous in my view.

for me it seems inconsistent to say these roads are so dangerous yet be supporting a net tax cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina