Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 AM

7 posts, read 11,605 times

Advertisements

My husband received orders for Pope, and should be moving in July. I am hoping I can get some good input on high schools in the area. He is willing to commute to Pope 30-45 minutes. My son is in the band, not involved in sports, and excels academically. Socializing isn't his strong point, so I worry about him being the new kid. He will be entering the 10th grade when we move. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,907,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlmitchx View Post
My husband received orders for Pope, and should be moving in July.
I hope you would have time to visit the schools while they were in session. I have relatives in nearby Lee County and was not impressed with what I have heard about those schools or the level of ambition of the students. My research on SchoolDigger and GreatSchools turned up one public HS highly rated on both sites, and it gets overall good reviews from students and parents both. That's Jack Britt High School, with a Fayetteville address, but it is out near Hope Mills. There were some complaints about athletes being favored, and kids being bullied.

Here's a link to the Cumberland County academics, their Course Selction Guide: http://www.hsedu.ccs.k12.nc.us/CCS_H...de-2010-11.pdf Note that there are several specialized academies for students who want a targeted program. There are also Advanced Placement courses in many schools.

I did not check any private school options, but you might want to.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-29-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,881,041 times
No personal experience with the area, my info comes from reputation and the words of a friend who works in the high schools in that area.

The best HS around Fayetteville is Jack Britt.

Here is their band page:
default (http://www.jbhs.ccs.k12.nc.us/band/default.htm - broken link)

Here is the most recent review from GreatSchools.org:
Jack Britt High School - Fayetteville, North Carolina - NC - School overview

Parent Reviews of Jack Britt High School - Fayetteville, North Carolina - NC
Quote:
I have been going to Jack Britt since my freshman year, and will be graduating as a student of 2k13. I love this school. Sure, there are some things that could definitely be improved but, honestly, where is a place where that isn't true? I am proud to say I am a Marching Buccaneer, as well as a member of the Forensics team. I am not neglected, but it"s not because I'm involved in these things, it's because these people care. As much as we fight them, as much as we try to come out on top, these teachers and administrators have our best interests at heart. I have been in schools where that wasn't true, so I know what I'm talking about. Sometimes rather than assume the school, is against us, we need to realize there are a lot of kids. and believe me, there is a reason there are a lot of kids! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, and there are kids that feel the same way I do. There is great leadership on every sport, activity, etc and even better leadership among our higher ups. I'm not a suck up, I'm just glad to go somewhere where I'm cared about as a person, not just a test score or number. We need to realize what we have instead of complaining.
—Submitted by a student

Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,973,916 times
I can't say more than the posters before me. But, I will say there are many properties for sale and rent in the Jack Britt school district. Homes in this area command a slightly higher price because of the school. It is not too far from base, you will find military families all over that area.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 AM

983 posts, read 3,979,921 times
Cape Fear is also one of the top districts in the area, and their marching band is second to none! They go to the Band of America competitions every year too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina