Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,038,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galena View Post
Mattman704 said,
"Just be careful how you vote once you're down here. We have a problem with people still voting like they're in the Blue-ish states they left because of how expensive it was to live there, and as a result, NC is quickly becoming a not-so-affordable place to live, or for that matter, exist period. Just something to think about. "

WOW! I don't want to live where you live if that's the common attitude. I wouldn't begin to warn someone to "be careful how you vote." Does that make me a bleeding heart liberal? I thought I was just an American who thinks people should vote how they see fit. Your comments make me think I probably don't vote for your candidates.

I try to keep my political views to myself though I sometimes find it difficult. I know that if I move to some place in the South, I can count on being surrounded by Republican-leaning people. LBJ lost the South for the Democratic Party when he signed the Civil Rights Act. All my Alabama and Georgia relatives--who used to Democrats--are now voting for the Republican presidential candidate regardless of who he is. That's their right just as it's my right to vote for the candidate that represents the American worker.
and robert grand dragon byrd of wva who is now a respected leader in the dem controlled senate was once the leader of the klan in wva. democrats were the ones that turned the hoses on blacks in birmingham, democrats were the ones that have been dangling a carrot in front of blacks for 60 years. what have white lib dems actually done for blacks? they removed the father from the home via welfare, there are now more black men in prison than college, over 80% of all black children are now born out of wedlock, most inner cities have a well over 50% drop out rate. I could go on and on. Dems have been in power and have always promised black folks the moon. They sold them a bill of goods. White dems have made blacks dependent on the government. That is by design. If I were black, I would hate the tired lying promises of white libs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:03 PM

25 posts, read 65,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
We live in expensive Massachusetts and have a fantasy of moving south to a progressive college town. We are looking to find out what it's really like to live in NC , how expensive it is, and what the quality of life is.

Thanks for any help!
In NC 'progressive college town' I think begins and ends with Chapel Hill. (Of course I'm a biased Carolina grad.)

Expensive relative to NC, cheap relative to Mass. Great quality of life.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,734,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Just be careful how you vote once you're down here. We have a problem with people still voting like they're in the Blue-ish states they left because of how expensive it was to live there, and as a result, NC is quickly becoming a not-so-affordable place to live, or for that matter, exist period. Just something to think about.
The reason NC is becoming not-so-affordable has more to do with people moving here from high-income states than it does from "Blue" states (even though there is some overlap). When homebuilders know that they can sell a house to someone from the Northeast who can pay cash for it, they're going to raise the prices on their homes, driving up the costs for all, not just the transplants. The politics of the folks moving here has less to do with it than the equity being brought from folks moving in (NC Democrats are still generally conservative, as evidenced by the still-not-passed budget).

Old 07-25-2009, 07:23 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,868,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The reason NC is becoming not-so-affordable has more to do with people moving here from high-income states than it does from "Blue" states (even though there is some overlap). When homebuilders know that they can sell a house to someone from the Northeast who can pay cash for it, they're going to raise the prices on their homes, driving up the costs for all, not just the transplants. The politics of the folks moving here has less to do with it than the equity being brought from folks moving in (NC Democrats are still generally conservative, as evidenced by the still-not-passed budget).
I remember whenI was up in Fredericksburg, VA. There was a newspaper article about how the creep of people moving south from DC had raised housing costs to the point that people local to Fredericksburg could not afford to live in Fredericksburg.

Apparently, most people couldn't afford it though. When the bubble burst houses dropped by hundreds othousands overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina