Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,081 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old that has just graduated from college in Wisconsin. My roommate and I are looking for a new exciting adventure and we were thinking about relocating to either N.C or S.C. We are looking for suggestions on possible cities where there are good job opportunities, fair rent, easy to get around and other young people our age. We are looking to get out of the Mid-West and start new and we keep hearing really great things about N.C and S.C. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 23,043 times
North Carolina is the best choice for a young educated adult to live, especially in the triangle. North Carolina has more of a better job market for college graduate.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleMarie24 View Post
I am a 24 year old that has just graduated from college in Wisconsin.
My roommate and I are looking for a new exciting adventure...
We are looking to get out of the Mid-West and start new...
I have a 24yo niece named Nicole Marie and if she wanted to come down here I'd let her live
free for a few months to explore the area in person and try to find a job and a new circle of friends.
If you had such available I'd say you should take advantage of it.

But to pull up stakes and go somewhere -anywhere really- without having a far more solid
reason to go there in particular... I'd say you're better off (in today's employment market) to
limit your choices to where living costs are low/free and/or you have a solid job offer.
Most of that will be where you are now (like at Mom's house).

From that base of security at home... take a few week long trips.
Drive/Fly to an area and immerse yourself in the scene in different places.
See what you find FIRST HAND that actually suits you.

Quote:
We are looking for suggestions on possible cities where there are good job opportunities,
fair rent, easy to get around and other young people our age.
What is the general unemployment like where you are now?
N.C. county-by-county unemployment rates :: WRAL.com
How does that compare to NC?

Focus on finding the job. Work the rest in around the edges as best you can.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaguy11 View Post
North Carolina is the best choice for a young educated adult to live, especially in the triangle. North Carolina has more of a better job market for college graduate.
Says who?

Not sure I can agree with that at all

Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
I am a 24 year old that has just graduated from college in Wisconsin. My roommate and I are looking for a new exciting adventure and we were thinking about relocating to either N.C or S.C. We are looking for suggestions on possible cities where there are good job opportunities, fair rent, easy to get around and other young people our age. We are looking to get out of the Mid-West and start new and we keep hearing really great things about N.C and S.C. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!
A lot depends on the kind of degrees you got as far as whether or not you'll find jobs

You should look at Greenville, SC, Wilmington, NC and Charlotte.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Thank you for the posts! My roommate and are 24 and 26 years old. We like all sorts of music and love meeting new people. We come from a decent size city (Madison, WI) and just want to relocate while we are young and able to do so. We have the funds so why not? We keep hearing great things about N.C and S.C about the nice people, beaches, low cost of rent (in some areas) and nightlife. I have my degree in Communication but I am also looking to go back to school in the near future. My roommate is working toward an MA degree. Any suggestions on what cities are better than others for two young adults looking to go to school, find a decent job, with easy access to get around in the city and start new would be great!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Thank you for the posts!
...I have my degree in Communication...
Please don't take this the wrong way, but for someone with a degree in communications
(whatever that is supposed to mean) you aren't doing it very well.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM

There is a difference in being an English Major and Communication Major (not communications). Furthermore, I didn't ask you to correct my post I just asked about S.C and N.C and it's not you "arent" it would be "you are not", so if you don't have any information that is going to be helpful to me in regards to moving then please refrain from writing on this post.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:04 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Says who?

Not sure I can agree with that at all
I can't agree with it either. I have a Masters Degree and depending on WHERE in North Carolina you are and what your degree is in- job prospects can still be pretty dismal!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
NicoleMarie: I wouldn't discourage anyone from making a move for the sake of seeking happiness. I've done it myself (more than once). Your first course of action though should be to find work before you move or get your heart set on a place to live. Once you have a job secured either in NC or SC you'll be able to better explore the region and figure out which place would be best for you.

What is paradise to one person could be hell to another.

NC is not for me, I make no secret of that. I'm in the process of relocating back to St. Louis right now. With that said however, I have met people who love the Carolinas and never want to leave.

If you're able to find a job that can support your lifestyle, by all means move- nothing ventured nothing gained!

Good Luck to you! I hope you find your 'happy place'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina