Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:27 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanchez View Post
Im still lost here I feel that I don't fit in. We are Cubans yet everyone confuse us with Mexicans which makes me very angry. I was born here and so were my children. I am trying to make the best of it and trying to hold on. We sold our home in Miami and now we are country bumkins, I guess eventually I will get use to it. As for a job I've had good replies but only time will tell, construction is a big thing here and i am a superintendent, I hope that women get good recognition here. If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.

E
Every ethnic group has had this problem so do not feel singled out. Don't know where you are in NC but I am also in the country and most of my neighbors welcome everyone who tries to fit in. It is sad that you are being lumped in with Mexicans, who for the most part are here illegally, but when anyone finds out you are an American...and do tell everyone that...things will be different. My Dad came here from Europe during WWII and it was hard for him too, but America is still a melting pot and you may find that the illegals are making it tougher for all Hispanics just as the radical Muslims are making it hard for all peace loving muslims and the general Arabic community.

I have friends in Miami Lakes who tell me how hard all Cubans there work, whether they were born there or in Cuba, and that they have a fierce sense of pride with elevates them above Mexicans. That sense of pride, which makes you angry, should give you the energy to change the way you are being perceived.

I would suggest that you search out other Cuban Americans and start a community get together. Words spreads and you will find that most of us "country bumpkins" will give you a fair shake. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Today any company is going to run basic criminal background checks and a credit check. Using a bogus address will certainly be discovered, and who would hire an applicant that is not truthful?
I agree, I would never be untruthful to a potential employer. If an accountant can't be trusted, well we do all remember Enron. We just aren't that type of people. I don't want anything in life that I have to trick people to get. Besides, being somewhere on a moments notice is hard when you live 10 hours away! Even a flight would take the good part of a day. We live 2 hours away from the nearest airport. No, I think honesty, persistence and prayers are the only way to go. If it doesn't happen for us, I will trust in His wisdom over mine.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 AM

Thumbs up Most have jobs that I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
they can’t find a job? I have read several posts stating how difficult it is to find a job. Isn’t it better to live in a place where you are employed?
The vast majority of those people moving down here, at least those I know, already have promises of jobs waiting for them. I moved here 11 years ago with a secure job waiting for me... (I was self employed where I was)...and after four years I returned to self employment here and never found it difficult to get work. I am since semi retired and still find it easy to get work when I want it. Perhaps it is easier for professionals to find work here but I really don't see the job market as bleak for anyone else.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 AM

24 posts, read 140,714 times
We were lucky to have about 60% of our income with us when we moved. We can move anywhere in the us and still comes with us. Only thing we had to do was find the other 40% or more income. We work at home. We were able to get back with our old company we had contracted with in Wi to here. We are so glad we do not have to go outside to work. No traffice jams to deal with. I very comfortable working inside my house than the outside of the house. Lot of people need to be around other people. At this moment we do not feel we fit in here yet. We still get lost going to the grocery store. We not traveled much away from our apartment. My husband and I can stay home 24 hours up to a month without leaving. Wish everybody looking for work to find something.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
Just an update... We got an offer this afternoon and hopefully all will go well. I will be in Asheville this weekend to secure housing and will hopefully be a full time resident in a few weeks. Thanks to Father John and all who prayed for us. I know it helped

Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up Congrats and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Just an update... We got an offer this afternoon and hopefully all will go well. I will be in Asheville this weekend to secure housing and will hopefully be a full time resident in a few weeks. Thanks to Father John and all who prayed for us. I know it helped
Congratulations on the offer and the fact that you are now looking for housing in Asheville. You are gonna love it there!!!!!.

Your input to this forum will be appreciated...and you will be able to tell others how life is in Asheville.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 PM

473 posts, read 701,109 times
Smile a suggestion

Lost and confused

esanchez wrote:
[quote] I'm still lost here I feel that I don't fit in. We are Cubans yet everyone confuse us with Mexicans which makes me very angry. I was born here and so were my children. I am trying to make the best of it and trying to hold on. We sold our home in Miami and now we are country bumkins, I guess eventually I will get use to it. As for a job I've had good replies but only time will tell, construction is a big thing here and i am a superintendent, I hope that women get good recognition here. If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.[quote]

I realize this post was back in September, but when I reread it along with several others, I wanted to answer you with a suggestion.

Obviously you are proud of your heritage, and no reason not to be. But you do mention that you and your children were 'born here' -- that makes you Americans. Do you feel you are Cuban-American, Cubans in America, just Cubans, or just Americans? (I ask this seriously!) Because perhaps what you feel you are is coming through to those you meet. Could you be defensive about being Hispanic, especially with all the current hype about illegals?

Maybe the answer is to try to fit in a little more, try to find similarities with those you live near, parents of your kids' friends, etc. Go to the library, volunteer at the kids' schools, etc. Ask here (on the NC forum) about 'the culture' in Middlesex (meaning what Middlesex is really like, attitudes, etc], which might give you some tips about fitting in better. I wish I lived nearby; I'd love to have some coffee or tea with you and let us become friends!

Please do not be offended by anything I've said. I will be a newbie in NC soon enough, with my own problems of fitting in, so I am trying to be sensitive to how you are feeling.

That said, is it any better 3 months later? Has your husband found a satisfying job? Have you? Do your kids have friends? Have you found some 'girlfriends' to spend time with?

I hope this helps; it was meant kindly.

Sincerely,
Nims

Last edited by Nims; 12-28-2007 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: add 2 thoughts, add question marks

Old 12-30-2007, 06:34 PM

20 posts, read 23,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esanchez View Post
Im still lost here I feel that I don't fit in. We are Cubans yet everyone confuse us with Mexicans which makes me very angry. I was born here and so were my children. I am trying to make the best of it and trying to hold on. We sold our home in Miami and now we are country bumkins, I guess eventually I will get use to it. As for a job I've had good replies but only time will tell, construction is a big thing here and i am a superintendent, I hope that women get good recognition here. If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.

E
Residential construction is slowing down big time. Commercial construction is still strong but it generally lags the residential sector by several months.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarfan View Post
Residential construction is slowing down big time. Commercial construction is still strong but it generally lags the residential sector by several months.
There isn't much on any slow down in residential construction in Charlotte.

Charlotte was named as 1 of 3 cities in the US with a strong real estate market and better home appreciations.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I agree, I would never be untruthful to a potential employer. If an accountant can't be trusted, well we do all remember Enron. We just aren't that type of people. I don't want anything in life that I have to trick people to get. Besides, being somewhere on a moments notice is hard when you live 10 hours away! Even a flight would take the good part of a day. We live 2 hours away from the nearest airport. No, I think honesty, persistence and prayers are the only way to go. If it doesn't happen for us, I will trust in His wisdom over mine.

I think if it's all at reasonable and believable to use a local address, then one should do so. It seems to me that NC companies have the luxury, most of the time, to go local only for their candidates.

If we decide to take the chance and move down there on one income/job (mine), then my husband will stay here in MA for at least 3-4 months closing things up. But ya better believe he'll put my (temporary) address on his resume when applying for jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina