Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a question for those that have moved their vehicles from the Northeast, Midwest, or any other heavy snow (thus salted area). I know many years ago, cars that essentially went from the north to the south had problems becuase of the salt corrision. I don't think this is a problem with cars in the last 15 years or so.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues related to this?

Thank You for your help!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 01:10 AM

104 posts, read 458,458 times
Hi Miker! Although I personally haven't had any issues with this (we moved from Southern Calif. to Tega Cay in March), I did pose your question to my husband, as he now works at an auto repair shop in Tega Cay and is quite the car guy. In the past few months his repair shop has had to work on a couple of cars with the salt corrosion problem you mention. He tells me that both cars were from the Northeast, both cars were 5-10 years old, and neither car had the undercoating sprayed on that would have prevented or slowed down the corrosion. The repair bills on these cars came to about $1,500, as it is very labor intensive to correct. He also says that coming from the North to the South isn't going to speed up the corrosion process. Hope this helps you out a little bit!

Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki3455 View Post
Hi Miker! Although I personally haven't had any issues with this (we moved from Southern Calif. to Tega Cay in March), I did pose your question to my husband, as he now works at an auto repair shop in Tega Cay and is quite the car guy. In the past few months his repair shop has had to work on a couple of cars with the salt corrosion problem you mention. He tells me that both cars were from the Northeast, both cars were 5-10 years old, and neither car had the undercoating sprayed on that would have prevented or slowed down the corrosion. The repair bills on these cars came to about $1,500, as it is very labor intensive to correct. He also says that coming from the North to the South isn't going to speed up the corrosion process. Hope this helps you out a little bit!

I was wondering the same thing, I remember that from Ny the rust and corrosion and in the SW the bodies of our cars always look new.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:57 AM

It's cause salt is very corrosive to metal. In the snow areas, it's the salt on the snow that does it. But you also have to be careful about cars in any beach areas cause of the saltwater -- especially if you are buying a car that has "lived" at the beach that hasn't been stored in a garage. My hubby bought his 1969 Corvette from a guy that lived on the beach in Southern California, & he had to replace a good amount of the metal stuff underneath the car due to the salt corrosion. But he knew that going in, & since he was going to "restore" it anyways, he's a happy camper!!

Old 09-17-2006, 02:49 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,162 times
Quote:
It's cause salt is very corrosive to metal. In the snow areas, it's the salt on the snow that does it. But you also have to be careful about cars in any beach areas cause of the saltwater -- especially if you are buying a car that has "lived" at the beach that hasn't been stored in a garage. My hubby bought his 1969 Corvette from a guy that lived on the beach in Southern California, & he had to replace a good amount of the metal stuff underneath the car due to the salt corrosion. But he knew that going in, & since he was going to "restore" it anyways, he's a happy camper!!
New Port right? I bet thats why you picked Tega Cay? That area reminds me of New Port Beach. Just a guess.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:20 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:

Actually that's very helpful- thank you to and your husband! So I guess it would have corroded either way in the absence of the undercoating. I bought my car new in 2000 in Boston and drove it down- I made the assumption it had the winter coating underneath but now I'm not sure. Probably I can take it to a mechanic and have it checked? Is it possible to put the coating on after the fact?

Thank You Again,

Mike

Old 09-17-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Actually that's very helpful- thank you to and your husband! So I guess it would have corroded either way in the absence of the undercoating. I bought my car new in 2000 in Boston and drove it down- I made the assumption it had the winter coating underneath but now I'm not sure. Probably I can take it to a mechanic and have it checked? Is it possible to put the coating on after the fact?

Thank You Again,

Mike
Hi Mike! You're welcome -- glad we can help!! Yes, hubby suggests to take your car to your mechanic & have it checked for undercoating & fixed (if need be) for any corrosion. He says you CAN have undercoating put on now, but since you're not around salt or salt air here, you don't need to have that put on now. If you decide you do want the undercoating after all, have that done at a body shop (rather than at the mechanic), as they are better equipped to do that sort of thing at a body shop. Just make sure you get the corrosion corrected before you put on the undercoating.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
New Port right? I bet thats why you picked Tega Cay? That area reminds me of New Port Beach. Just a guess.
We moved from Downey, but hubby DID buy his Corvette from a guy in Newport Beach. Good guess!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:28 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
This isn't just a North-to-South issue.
People who live on or near the beach often have their own salt issues...and it's a year-round thing, not just winter.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike! You're welcome -- glad we can help!! Yes, hubby suggests to take your car to your mechanic & have it checked for undercoating & fixed (if need be) for any corrosion. He says you CAN have undercoating put on now, but since you're not around salt or salt air here, you don't need to have that put on now. If you decide you do want the undercoating after all, have that done at a body shop (rather than at the mechanic), as they are better equipped to do that sort of thing at a body shop. Just make sure you get the corrosion corrected before you put on the undercoating.
Wow, I'm floored- a HUGE THANK YOU. Hmm, I'm beginning to develop a strong affinity for people from Tega Cay

I was thinking of buying another car here in Boston and driving it down (I know it sounds wierd, but at the moment I can get a few decent deals on 2-4 year old vehicles in Boston). But I was on the fence if it was worth it and just purchase and spend a little more in Charlotte. But it seems like as long as the coating is taken care of it should be okay.

Wow, tell your DH to send me the bill!

Thanks Again!

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina