Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:54 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT21 View Post
What I should've said is find me an article attributing the loss of prospective companies due to our legislature's stance on gay marriage.

From what I read, Volvo wanted a port city and our economic development geniuses pitched Rocky Mount. It had nothing to do with gay marriage.
I didn't interpret anyone's post as saying our legislatures stance on a social issue caused industry to look elsewhere. The point as that our legislature is spending all its time and effort on things like same sex marriage, rather than doing things to improve economic development, etc.

And we were never in the game for Volvo due to lack of incentives, which is 100% attributable to the general assembly's lack of action on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:29 AM

17 posts, read 15,567 times
Those were the first communities I could think of. Yes, Durham & Chapel Hill could be included; I suppose you could also include Pittsboro, Cullowhee, and Boone. Winston-Salem has a progressive artsy core but the rest of the city is pretty conservative … it has taken city government several years to agree on a plan to renovate the main library downtown, even after funds were secured.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuserofthisaccount View Post
Those were the first communities I could think of. Yes, Durham & Chapel Hill could be included; I suppose you could also include Pittsboro, Cullowhee, and Boone. Winston-Salem has a progressive artsy core but the rest of the city is pretty conservative … it has taken city government several years to agree on a plan to renovate the main library downtown, even after funds were secured.
Somewhat minor point, but actually it is Forsyth County, not the City of W-S that is renovating the library, as the County operates the library system. Part of the holdup was trying to determine whether to build an entirely new building, or shut down and renovate the existing facility.

And I bring this up primarily to point out that W-S, like many cities in NC, is fairly moderate to liberal, while the surrounding county is far more conservative.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuserofthisaccount View Post
Outside of any of the cities you mentioned it gets pretty conservative...Winston-Salem isn't unique in that way. And you can't honestly put the city in a conservative category because it took the county too long to decide on a library plan. That's ludicrous. Disagreement on such projects is fairly common in larger metro areas anyway.

If I had to choose one, I would say that Charlotte overall is more conservative than NC's other larger cities.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:31 PM

51 posts, read 53,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Outside of any of the cities you mentioned it gets pretty conservative...Winston-Salem isn't unique in that way. And you can't honestly put the city in a conservative category because it took the county too long to decide on a library plan. That's ludicrous. Disagreement on such projects is fairly common in larger metro areas anyway.

If I had to choose one, I would say that Charlotte overall is more conservative than NC's other larger cities.
Conservative or not, the library is a perfect example of the way W-S has conducted itself over the last decade or so. Even the Business 40 overhaul, which is badly needed and has been talked about for years, was recently delayed because W-S didn't have its crap together. The city allocates millions of dollars each year to area non profits with various agendas but somehow can't find the money to pave its most heavily traveled streets downtown (they are pitiful by the way, potholes and bumps everywhere). The project near the ballpark, which would be a major boon to the city, is being delayed because it does not offer "affordable housing." These are just a FEW examples. It's no wonder W-S is growing at a snail's pace compared other NC cities and has been shedding young educated professionals for years.

Last edited by OMT21; 06-08-2015 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 06:23 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,427,227 times
The current political situation, especially state government

Old 06-09-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
The current political situation, especially state government
Do you love it or hate it?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Conservative or not, the library is a perfect example of the way W-S has conducted itself over the last decade or so. Even the Business 40 overhaul, which is badly needed and has been talked about for years, was recently delayed because W-S didn't have its crap together.
How so?

Old 06-10-2015, 04:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Conservative or not, the library is a perfect example of the way W-S has conducted itself over the last decade or so. Even the Business 40 overhaul, which is badly needed and has been talked about for years, was recently delayed because W-S didn't have its crap together. The city allocates millions of dollars each year to area non profits with various agendas but somehow can't find the money to pave its most heavily traveled streets downtown (they are pitiful by the way, potholes and bumps everywhere). The project near the ballpark, which would be a major boon to the city, is being delayed because it does not offer "affordable housing." These are just a FEW examples. It's no wonder W-S is growing at a snail's pace compared other NC cities and has been shedding young educated professionals for years.
Dude...the library is a county function, and the highways are funded by the state. Neither has anything to do with "W-S didn't have its crap together". Requiring affordable housing IS NOT an example of conservative government - it's exactly the opposite. I'm not sure where you're getting this junk, but you're dead wrong.

Winston-Salem has been growing at a healthy rate - not booming, but growing...and a little faster than Greensboro at the moment. Your standards are a bit out of whack.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Do you love it or hate it?
I abhor it. It is embarrasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina