Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,839 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!

BIG NEWS! We’re moving to Hendersonville in a few days! (Pinch us!) No... we have not sold our San Diego house (sigh), but grew so weary of the process that we looked at alternatives and found a house five minutes out of H’ville we can afford to rent while we wait for our own to sell. We’re prepared to leave our own house unrented and partially furnished (so that it shows well and easily) for six months or more and then consider taking it off the market and renting it for a while until the market recovers a bit. So we're at the beginning of that strategy. What do you think?

Our H’ville rental is for only six months but will probably be renewable after that (we recognize the risk). Though we have visited the area many times for long stays, this will be our first chance to find out once and for all what it’s like to LIVE there—join a church, find a doctor, make friends, get involved.
I thought this might interest some of you: As I was cancelling our hotel reservations in view of the house rental, I mentioned to the hotel desk clerk (with eagerness in my voice, I’m sure) that we are going to be moving to H’ville. She seemed surprised and said that after 10 years in H’ville she wants to move back to CA.

Why??
The weather. It’s humid here.
Humid?
Yes.
All the time?
Yes, all the time.
(Wait. She came from the inland desert of Sacramento, CA. Compared to that, H’ville probably is humid—almost anywhere else would be humid compared to Sacramento--but surely not compared to balmy coastal CA.)

And the people.
What about them?
CA is laid back. Here’s they’re uptight. Not Asheville—Asheville’s liberal. But outside of Asheville they’re all conservative.
You mean, not liberal like CA?
Right.
(Wait. Can we get an earlier plane??)

And they’re so materialistic here.
Where?
In Hendersonville.
They’re not in CA?
No.
(Wait. Didn’t our friends in Solana Beach, CA, just tell us this week that they want to move to Australia because of the materialistic values of California?)

BWAHHH!! I’m getting a headache....
What a surreal day today as we watched 38 years of our lives being dismantled in a few stunning hours! Please, Lord, grant us the serenity to accept all 107 of the boxes that surround us, the courage to donate EVEN MORE next time we move, and the wisdom to know the difference in peace of mind!

Good people, please pray for us as we fly out on Monday to meet our makers--movers--I meant movers . Be with us as we unpack our 107 lovely boxes... fly back to San Diego to get our car... and drive across this great land to our new home in the mountains of WNC!

God bless America!

Your comments are always appreciated!

Jan (and Bill)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 06:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
lol I wish y'all all the best in your move and in your life in Hendersonville.

I sometimes wonder how many things we miss out on by not stepping out and taking a chance.

Oh, and travelling across America sounds great. I've always wanted to do that. I hope y'all have a fun trip.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
First off...cute post! We moved here 6 months ago from CA. We did the drive across the states and although tiring it was beautiful and very interesting! We moved to the Piedmont and love it! You are going to love the mountains. The people here are friendly and real. Your neighbors will become great friends. At least this is how it has been for us. It's so much more family oriented here then in CA. As for the humidity--I'll be honest it only seemed a lot more humid then CA for a couple of weeks here...but we wern't miserable. The weather so far has been good--love the rain! Even though the locals say we are behind on rain fall here it's still lots more then we ever got in CA. And relaxing. Have a safe trip and enjoy!!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Welcome to HVL. Going for a high of 74 today. Yesterday's high was 76. Raining this morning.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-14-2007 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,836 times
Great post. To each his own, right? I was born & raised near Sacramento, and then lived in Orange County for about 15 yrs. We moved to Holly Springs, just south of Raleigh, about 2 yrs ago. We love it and would never go back. It is humid, but thats the south and you do acclimate. My husband & I both love the heat (way more than the cold) so its been fine for us. The people are warm and its very family friendly here.

We drove too...with 4 yr old twins...and we loved it and would like to do it again. Its definitely been our most excellent adventure to date!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Holly Springs is in the Piedmont and it is hot and humid. Hville is in the foothills of the mountains and the weather is completely different.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
Great post Jan and you have the right idea.We did that trip four times once in 77 from NH to Irvine and then in 78 from Irvine CA to FL. Then in 79 moved from FL to the SF bay area and stayed for 25 years untill we made the foolish mistake to move back to FL in 2004.All trips by car and all the time had at least three dogs with us 3 times had our daughter and once my mom with the dogs and daughter.Oh to be young again.
We are now house hunting in NC hate FL but unlike you I can not move twice. Hubby is a cancer survivor but also has other health issues so we will either just go for it and pray our home in fl sells or wait until the house sells. Hubby and I like to live on the edge so we just might go for it and move to beautiful NC asap and have two mortgage payments ouch but you only live once. Have a great trip and we hope to join you in NC very soon.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 PM

170 posts, read 644,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Great post Jan and you have the right idea.We did that trip four times once in 77 from NH to Irvine and then in 78 from Irvine CA to FL. Then in 79 moved from FL to the SF bay area and stayed for 25 years untill we made the foolish mistake to move back to FL in 2004.All trips by car and all the time had at least three dogs with us 3 times had our daughter and once my mom with the dogs and daughter.Oh to be young again.
We are now house hunting in NC hate FL but unlike you I can not move twice. Hubby is a cancer survivor but also has other health issues so we will either just go for it and pray our home in fl sells or wait until the house sells. Hubby and I like to live on the edge so we just might go for it and move to beautiful NC asap and have two mortgage payments ouch but you only live once. Have a great trip and we hope to join you in NC very soon.

Good luck to you lorriem!

Native Californian here, lived in the O.C. before moving...worked in Irvine too!! I am very happy to be in N.C. now!!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:03 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmls View Post
Good luck to you lorriem!

Native Californian here, lived in the O.C. before moving...worked in Irvine too!! I am very happy to be in N.C. now!!
A Calif. native in Mooresville- how cool is that ) Me too!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Good luck with your move!! You had me in stiches! I have heard it all too but have not looked back for one sec. and so far so good after 1 year. Plus I like it humid,call me weird but does not bother me one bit. In fact the flip side is i DONT miss the Calif.coastal dreary fog in the summer at all!!I'll take guaranteed warm weather anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina