Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 PM

38 posts, read 94,423 times

Advertisements

Rocky Mount has the worst crime and unemployment in the whole state, and some STILL try to prop it up. Its sad.

I have major, major love for what Rocky Mount USE to be. Tarrytown mall was an absolute joy to shop in, the old Belks downtown was so much fun with that old elevator and the elevator operator to go with it. Golden East Crossing was solid when it first opened. Then by the turn of the 90s it really started that snowball with Hardees leaving, Centura Bank leaving, other companies, ect.

Crime has spread to the nicer parts of the city near Candlewood and Westridge Village. To Northgreen and places north of there. Northgreen country club was amazing back in the 70s. Now that area is crime ridden. Its unreal.

Im sorry, the good old days of low crime and an enjoyable environment are gone for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by taxicab31; 07-10-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM

63 posts, read 203,197 times
Default I love Rocky Mount

Rocky Mount is a beautiful diverse city. @taxicab, I hope you no longer live in rocky mount as you seem to only find negative words about the city. I hope you can find a place you love to live as I love to live in Rocky Mount. I have traveled around the world and grew up in New York State so for me to choose Rocky Mount is an informed decision. I have lived in Rocky Mount for 7 years and have seen the city continue to grow. I like the people here and the friendly disposition of the residents. I enjoy the geographic area with easy driving to Raleigh or the coast, yet I get to live in an easy commuting area.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 AM

Default Happy Family

@taxicab, even if you are employed in one of Rocky Mounts many large industries (cummings, hospira, honeywell) you should be able to leave in a nearby city if you dont like it here. I hope you are able to find a place you can happily call home as I my friends and neighbors do. Are you looking to move to a particular state or area?

I really wish you were so upset that I love Rocky Mount. If you look through the posts many others do too. See, I have a family and friends and great neighbors in Rocky Mount and want to share what I love about the area with others. I also hope to connect with other positive people to talk about rocky mounts progress. Have you met the Vetere family? They renovated the old bel air car dealership and turned it into an artist building. It is amazing how many talented artists live in the area. They have nearly every artist shop leased. It is on Church Street and is a business that will attract more business. Have you been downtown and seen all the rennovation? It is amazing and beautiful to see the buildings restored and new shops opening up.

I hope you saw my post on the down east partnership for children too. That is a wonderful organization that set up shop in a blighted area. Do you enjoy the tar river trail, it is a great relaxing place to walk and bicycle. My family goes often and I see many other families on it. The new sports complex is a great successand financial success. I played on an adult soccer league and it was a lot of fun. Have you tried playing on the softball or volleyball leagues? I also bought a kayak as I like to paddle on the tar river. One of my friends is doing a tubing down the tar event every year. This is the third year and it drew about a hundred people, really good for word of mouth social gathering.

You mention the word thugs many times and in my mind a thug are socially agressive people who physically harm others. I go to the mall about once a month. My daughter really enjoys the train that takes the kids around. I like the BAM books store. I never have issues when I go, it is actually a fun family outing. I go during the daytime, maybe night is a different experience. I am concerned that what you consider to be thugs are really just black youth hanging out. Yes, teenagers like to hang out at the mall, i did too when i was younger, its just that my skin was white. I bet some do steal as some of my friends would steal too as teens. I bet all sorts of people steal though, its part of our materialistic culture.

If you want to find the negative about rocky mount or any other town you will. Just as i find what i love about the area you can state all the negatives you feel. I dont work for the city or chamber, although i do hope they have people who can write about our town join. Its sad that you feel the need to accost a happy resident. I envision you to be a sour person, but i hope that you find a great job in an area you can be proud about. Rocky Mount is my home and I am proud to live here. I am even happpier with the new yogurt shop, the pitstop, in westridge, YUM.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Moderator cut: tos violation A lot of those "Young black youths" are gang members and do some of their initiations at that mall. Ive witnessed multiple fights there over the past couple of years. And not just during night time or on the weekends

Any city or town will have a couple of bright spots, even If it is Detroit. The new library is nice and the imperial center is solid. That still doesnt change the fact that 99 percent of the city is a hell hole. You must work for the Rocky Mount Chamber of Commerce. 99 percent of what you say sounds like some cheesy ad to prop Rocky Mount up.

The "City on the Rise" slogan was a joke when Rocky Mount was nicer in the 90s.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-31-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenne View Post
Rocky Mount is a beautiful diverse city. @taxicab, I hope you no longer live in rocky mount as you seem to only find negative words about the city. I hope you can find a place you love to live as I love to live in Rocky Mount. I have traveled around the world and grew up in New York State so for me to choose Rocky Mount is an informed decision. I have lived in Rocky Mount for 7 years and have seen the city continue to grow. I like the people here and the friendly disposition of the residents. I enjoy the geographic area with easy driving to Raleigh or the coast, yet I get to live in an easy commuting area.
Beautiful? Are you sure you are arnt talking about Rocky Mount Virginia? The edgecombe county side looks like a war zone.

The countryside outside the city limits just looks poor, not beautiful. The reservoir area near the airport is really nice Ill give you that.

And how is Rocky Mount diverse? Its mostly African Americans.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Ive lived here for 31 years, and its been utterly jaw dropping how much this city has fallen off a cliff. The literacy rate of the people is so bad its depressing to even touch on that. And the crime rate speaks for itself.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 AM

LOL, this "beautiful" area as you call it made Forbes top 10 most impoverished list In Depth: America's 10 Most Impoverished Cities - Rocky Mount, N.C. - Forbes.com

I know you are probably not a real person but I still cant believe what you are typing

Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 AM

31 years of living in a city you don't like, that's really pathetic. I think anyone with some effort could have found some place else to live. You must be very comfortable living here for 31 years. Why don't you speak of the downtown revitalization, have you even seen how good it is looking. Or do you just lock yourself in your house afraid of black youth, so funny because I take my family to the mall and I see many other families there too all having a positive shopping experience. INSTEAD of engaging positively with the community, you seem content on being a negative troll on this forum. Negative people are losers and the worst kind are those who seem happy to complain about their circumstance and not look to improve their lives, liking parking yourself in a place for 31 years just so you can complain about it.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 AM

I love taking walks on the tar river paths and around city lake where there are many kinds of waterfowl.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab31 View Post
Ive lived here for 31 years, and its been utterly jaw dropping how much this city has fallen off a cliff. The literacy rate of the people is so bad its depressing to even touch on that. And the crime rate speaks for itself.
Actually, from what you are implying, no, the crime rate doesn't speak for itsself, probably because they wouldn't be able to read what the crime rate is in the first place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina