Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N A-O View Post
My family still lives in Rocky Mount & so I still consider it my home. I come home twice a year,
so...why don't YOU live there?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 55,227 times
Thanks Bill. Most of us know that some folks have quite the ax to grind for whatever reason. I am still living and enjoying Rocky Mount. I get my hair done downtown at gin-lily salon and go to the Imperial Arts Centre at night and do not feel the least bit intimidated by the nay sayers.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:40 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Everyone has their own idea of what place is ideal for them, but I must say that it is remarkable and unprecedented to see anyone say something positive about Rocky Mount. It has been referred to as the most depressing major town in all of North Carolina.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:25 PM

57 posts, read 425,695 times
Rocky Mount has had what, 5 murders in the past month? Its crazy. Like I said earlier in this thread, its the most dangerous city in North Carolina right now. And some of this crime is spreading into the suburb type areas.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 20,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ann sieres View Post
Thanks Bill. Most of us know that some folks have quite the ax to grind for whatever reason.
I bought property in Rocky Mount a few years ago. I live in the Northeast. Our neighborhood is fairly upscale, although we still send our child to private school. I prefer private so the school $$$ thing is not an issue for me.

Only about 3 miles away here, we have the same issue. High crime area, poor schools. I still love my town and the I'm guessing the folks driving the Escalades and Hummers at my child's school realize that it's everywhere. No amount of bashing will solve problems. You have to be safe and make good choices for your family. Even somewhere as idillic as Amish Country just had a mass murder. Life goes on. . . There are pros/cons to every area. Some people use threads as antidepressents.

But I am looking forward to relocating! My bones need warmth! We have been back often since the sale and the area seems to be getting better and better. I was there almost 17 years ago(I remember because I was just dating my now husband) and couldn't imagine living in Rocky Mount.

On a trip a few years ago, driving down I95 to FL, we stopped to rest overnight and I was really impressed with the changes. The climate, the lower cost of living and even with private school, we are coming out ahead. We are planning yearly trips to plant trees on our property!

I would love to hear feedback from families. We travel quite a bit. I loved that RM was so close to the ocean like we are here by Cape Cod!

We also like to take weekend jaunts. What's close either a drive or jumping on a flight from Raleigh(an hour or so)? I have heard that Great Wolf Lodge is building in Charlotte. My family is super excited about being within driving distance of that! Is skiing close? We are Yankees and need to get some skiing in at least once a year!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM

39 posts, read 147,623 times
From Canda In Southern Indiana? We Are Coming To Rocky Mount To Check It Out For Ourselves Also,it Is Either Rocky Mount Or Greenville,my Job Transferred To Rocky Mount, In The Medical Field. I Know Greenville Is Better Medical But I'm Tring To Stay With The Same Company Here To There.
Thanks For All The Input

Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM

39 posts, read 147,623 times
You Say They Don't Care For People From The North??what Do They Consider North??or The Area People Are From??my Husband Is From North Carolina,i'm
Southern Indiana Born In Kentucky So What Does That Have To Do With Anything??????are They That Mean?? Everyone I Have Ever Met From There Is So Friendly

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
moderator note:

Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 13,973 times
I am now a very nervous mom to be moving my family to RM... I was so excited but now reading this post has scared me... so many good positive reviews and some really awful negative reviews... anyway that BillJr & Dentist can give me a heads up on the area I am looking at... Cokey Rd & Redgate Ave? Is this an ok area? I do in home daycare so I can stay at home with my 5month old son, and i can't lie with all these crime rate posts im nervous maybe i picked a bad area and just don't know it. i haven't bought yet, but am ready to put an offer down. Please help!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 20,968 times
Default Do your research

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLizzyBeth View Post
I am now a very nervous mom to be moving my family to RM... I was so excited but now reading this post has scared me... so many good positive reviews and some really awful negative reviews... anyway that BillJr & Dentist can give me a heads up on the area I am looking at... Cokey Rd & Redgate Ave? Is this an ok area? I do in home daycare so I can stay at home with my 5month old son, and i can't lie with all these crime rate posts im nervous maybe i picked a bad area and just don't know it. i haven't bought yet, but am ready to put an offer down. Please help!
Hi Sara! Since I didn't get any feedback on this site, I started doing some of my own research. I actually tracked down some Rocky Mount residents, folks who have family situations like mine(children, education levels, socio-economic levels, culture). I think hearing what a family who has the same values/needs is very helpful.

I got some great feedback about areas schools etc. I would take a lot of what you read on the boards with a grain of salt. Some of the information is flat out wrong.

I am also looking at the Orlando area. On the boards here, I read such crazy feedback about the areas I am looking at; crime, etc. that I was nervous. Then I find out that the area I'm looking at has some of the best schools, low crime and some of country's most famous (and wealthy) people live there. Also, the company I am working with has so many people relocate that they had the pertinent information right at hand.

You can get real info from the US Census about population, income, education levels, crime etc. School testing scores are easy to come by. Also check the real estate in the zip code you are looking at on places like Zillow. If prices are steadily going up, you are probably good!

I am from the Northeast and where I live now is similar to Rocky Mount. Ten years ago, when we bought our house there was nothing. Now we have gourmet restaurants, new malls, etc. Just like Cary, so much of greater Boston became too expensive so folks went farther. Now our house is worth almost 3 times as much even in this soft economy.

So do your research and get answers to the questions you have from people similar to you. I would be happy to give you more info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina