Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 04:50 PM

27 posts, read 68,292 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Can't afford to live in NJ (born & raised & hate it!) Looking to live somewhere in driving distance to the beach. We are not from North Jersey with a bunch of money at all. All the New Yorkers have spread down through NJ making everything else too expensive.

Hubby is a welder (very experienced), so we will need to be near a city he can commute to for work.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons vs NC and SC in the type of areas we are looking for?

Housing costs have gone up so much since we were there last (Myrtle Beach area) and we are looking forward to a slower pace, nice neighbors, things to do, etc.

Rent to own is probably our best bet, cannot afford a $200,000 home!

Can I get some basic imput please? Coming down beginning of October and want to know what areas to look at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 PM

Am I allowed to bump?

Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2beach View Post
Am I allowed to bump?
You should wait at least 24 hours.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:05 PM

Ok, post got buried so I'm bumping! We are leaving on Tuesday for our trip down so if anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated!

We are beach ppl so we would like to be within 1/2 hour drive to the beach preferably. I know inland is much cheaper and we are FAR from rich but we cannot imagine not being near the beach.

If you need me to answer any questions please ask.

Can anyone tell me the differences between NC and SC as far as taxes, etc?

Hope to have some replies since we are leaving way too early Tuesday morning.

Thanks in advance! ~Evie

Old 09-30-2006, 06:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Taxes

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

Old 10-01-2006, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,114 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Can't afford to live in NJ (born & raised & hate it!) Looking to live somewhere in driving distance to the beach. We are not from North Jersey with a bunch of money at all. All the New Yorkers have spread down through NJ making everything else too expensive.

Hubby is a welder (very experienced), so we will need to be near a city he can commute to for work.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons vs NC and SC in the type of areas we are looking for?

Housing costs have gone up so much since we were there last (Myrtle Beach area) and we are looking forward to a slower pace, nice neighbors, things to do, etc.

Can I get some basic imput please? Coming down beginning of October and want to know what areas to look at.

I personally cannot say anything about South Carolina but I can tell you a little about the Raleigh Durham area "Triangle". We moved from Massachusetts and according to the information we studied, and we did our homework we thought, It should have been a great move. It looked like you would have to be deaf, dumb, and blind and have a paper sack on your head not to find a good job, but the truth is there are hardly any jobs here at all, and the ones that are available are not very well salaried, low or no benefits and the cost of living is very high because for instance , green peppers are aproxamately $8 and $11 a pound! groceries in general are outrageous and there are a lot of hidden costs to living here. Metered water, taxes city and county ect. Its not freindly here at all and the roads have no shoulders, it smells like sewage everywhere, and I mean everywhere. If you are considering moving here I would spend at least a week Wake county especially is difficult to get used to . Hope this helps, We were shocked when we moved here and are trying to recover finacially, this is the poorhouse! We moved here with a little , quite a nice little nest egg, Hard earned nest egg and its all gone. We cant wait to get out and are looking for a new place to move not Massachusetts. God bless in your search.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Hi! Welcome to the Carolinas, whichever one you choose!
My suggestion would be for you to look into South Carolina because the cost of living there can be more affordable than around the bigger cities in NC. In particular, look at Lexington, SC, which is about 15 miles from Columbia. Columbia is the state capital and I think job prospects there might be good for your husband. Lexington is a nice little place of under 15,000 people. Your drive to the beach wouldn't be too bad from that part of the state either. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknow56 View Post
I personally cannot say anything about South Carolina but I can tell you a little about the Raleigh Durham area "Triangle". We moved from Massachusetts and according to the information we studied, and we did our homework we thought, It should have been a great move. It looked like you would have to be deaf, dumb, and blind and have a paper sack on your head not to find a good job, but the truth is there are hardly any jobs here at all, and the ones that are available are not very well salaried, low or no benefits and the cost of living is very high because for instance , green peppers are aproxamately $8 and $11 a pound! groceries in general are outrageous and there are a lot of hidden costs to living here. Metered water, taxes city and county ect. Its not freindly here at all and the roads have no shoulders, it smells like sewage everywhere, and I mean everywhere. If you are considering moving here I would spend at least a week Wake county especially is difficult to get used to . Hope this helps, We were shocked when we moved here and are trying to recover finacially, this is the poorhouse! We moved here with a little , quite a nice little nest egg, Hard earned nest egg and its all gone. We cant wait to get out and are looking for a new place to move not Massachusetts. God bless in your search.

Thanks for the info - please keep replying! We are going to be looking Southeast NC for the most part of NC.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info - please keep replying! We are going to be looking Southeast NC for the most part of NC.
I didn't realize you meant you wanted to be THAT close to the beach

Well, in the southeastern part of NC the only real city of any size is Wilmington so I guess you plan to look in that general area? Housing can be expensive anywhere with easy beach access but try looking at Shallotte and see what you can find. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Shallotte???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I didn't realize you meant you wanted to be THAT close to the beach

Well, in the southeastern part of NC the only real city of any size is Wilmington so I guess you plan to look in that general area? Housing can be expensive anywhere with easy beach access but try looking at Shallotte and see what you can find. Good luck!
Putting Shallotte on the list of cities to visit! Thank you. Yes, we really want to be closer to the beach, note: closer. We may regretfully have to move farther then 1\2 hour's drive from the beach or hubby will have to commute longer!

I still wish we moved about a decade ago or more when I kept bugging my husband to.

Thanks so much for the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina