Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times

Advertisements

The purpose of this amendment is clear: it exists to make gay people suffer and to make straight people feel superior. It is "hate-legislation." However, as a piece of hate legislation, it also will cause other, unintended groups to suffer, too.

This pitiful purpose to cause pain to the gay community has been cloaked under the strange facade of "protecting marriage."
However, if this were the real purpose of the efforts of the proponents of amendment 1, the amendment would be worded differently.

No marriage will be protected by adopting this amendment.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM

26 posts, read 30,559 times
Angry Really?

How dare you. Gay people pay taxes, die for their country, save your life in a hospital ER, defend your ass in court, protect your kids on street corners and spend money at your stores. They are not second-class citizens. You and your ilk have no right to invalidate private domestic agreements between straight and gay people who live together, which is what this amendment would do if passed, because the language gives judges discretion to rule or not rule on such agreements. When irresponsible legislators pass bad laws, it is up to the citizens to stop them. Every single vote is needed on May 8 to defeat the ignorance and bigotry that is Amendment One.

Last edited by Jesusisnotpleased; 05-02-2012 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusisnotpleased View Post
How dare you. Gay people pay taxes, die for their country, save your life in a hospital ER, defend your ass in court, protect your kids on street corners and spend money at your stores. They are not second-class citizens. You and your ilk have no right to invalidate private domestic agreements between straight and gay people who live together, which is what this amendment would do if passed. When irresponsible legislators pass bad laws, it is up to the citizens to stop them. Every single vote is needed on May 8 to defeat the ignorance and bigotry that is Amendment One.
I am mystifed how rational human beings can continue to invent ways to deny others their rights in the name of religion.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
And it is not your place, nor it is your right to force everyone to accept a homosexual lifestyle,
No one is forcing you to accept a "homosexual lifestyle".

I don't believe in the teaching of the Catholic church - but I believe that others who do should have the freedom to practice that religion. Because people are allowed to practice that religion does not mean that it is being forced upon me.

This is because my faith is not threatened, and my quality of life is not affected, just because some people engage in activities or a lifestyle I do not, personally, endorse.

How will allowing homosexual couples to get legally married force you to accept a "homosexual lifestyle"? It won't. You can still believe what you want to believe and it will not change the quality of your life in any way.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
At a discussion / debate on the bill last night in Charlotte, David Hains, spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, stated that stature is appropriate because at its core is “the immutable biological fact of man, woman and child. "Because gay couples cannot produce children," he said, "they do not meet the definition of marriage."

Amendment debate hits now-familiar points | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
[LEFT]
Read more here: Amendment debate hits now-familiar points | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
[/LEFT]

By this logic, does this mean that a heterosexual couple that is biologically unable to produce children also does not meet the "definition of marriage"?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I am mystifed how rational human beings can continue to invent ways to deny others their rights in the name of religion.
Many with a buy bull in hand find it very easy to judge and hate.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM

26 posts, read 30,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
My understanding of this amendment is that it clarifies the definition of marriage in the NC State Constitution. Since marriage/civil unions/domestic partnerships are not rights, nothing is lost.
WRONG! There are plenty of people in this State who have PRIVATE "living together" or domestic partnership agreements in place - straight and gay. These agreements are enforceable as contracts. Contract law is common law, which has existed in this world for centuries. It doesn't have to be in the Constitution. Amendment One, as written, would allow judges to set aside, ignore, and invalidate existing contracts between people who live together where those agreements deal with matters similar to marriage, such as: having children, paying the mortgage, child support, mutual financial support, values, intentions, promises, buying a house, etc., etc. Anybody who thinks this Amendment isn't intruding on existing fundamental rights is wrong. Is this really what North Carolina stands for? I think not! Gay people aren't interested in breaking up your marriage. Just leave them the hell alone. Vote AGAINST Amendment One. Every vote matters when it comes to standing up to bigots.

Last edited by Jesusisnotpleased; 05-02-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 01:20 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
By this logic, does this mean that a heterosexual couple that is biologically unable to produce children also does not meet the "definition of marriage"?
Now, you're not saying that a religious "expert" hasn't thought something all the way through or otherwise used deficient logic are you? Why, that'd be absurd!

In other news, this is certainly rich:

Wife of North Carolina’s Amendment One sponsor says husband motivated by race | TPM2012

Quote:
The wife of a sponsor of North Carolina’s Amendment One, a proposed change to the state’s constitution that would ensure legal recognition only for marriage between a man and a woman, reportedly offered an eyebrow-raising explanation for her husband’s support of the measure.

Jodie Brunstetter, the wife of state Sen. Peter Brunstetter (R), has found herself embroiled in controversy after suggesting that her husband’s role in writing the bill — which passed the Republican-controlled general assembly last fall — was racially motivated.

According to the alternative Yes! Weekly, which picked up the remarks from freelance journalist and activist Chad Nance, Jodie Brunstetter told a poll worker in Winston-Salem, N.C. Monday that the reason her husband “wrote Amendment 1 was because the Caucasian race is diminishing and we need to uh, reproduce.”

Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
^ Holy smokes! How do these ignorant people end up in high places? We need a marriage amendment because the Caucasian race is diminishing? WTF???

To paraphrase Frank Zappa: I'm not black, but there are often times when I wish I wasn't white.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
To paraphrase Frank Zappa: I'm not black, but there are often times when I wish I wasn't white.
Y'know, I was just wondering who these people thought they were jivin' with that cosmik debris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina