Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM

475 posts, read 506,483 times

Advertisements

God doesnt exist and religion shouldnt be an issue when it comes to this. Not everyone believes in God or have a religion. Leave religion out ! Why is it that all the religious freaks need to put God on everything everytime they need to make a point ?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 AM

475 posts, read 506,483 times
My friend (who sadly lives in NC) just texted me the following message: "This amendment is going to pass, because the fundamentalist element is too strong here in North Carolina, and they are going to turn out in droves to vote in favor of it. Drive past any rural Baptist church Marce in the state and you will more than likely see a message on the stick-on letter sign out front proclaiming that "This House is voting YES," or admonishing the drive-by heathens about the perils to their collective souls if it fails to pass. These people are subjected to "Obama = anti-Christ" preaching and warnings about the insidious "gay agenda" in addition to the more mundane "End Times" talk virtually every Sunday, and then again on Wednesday. So, if you ever wondered what brainwashing can do to you, just talk to some of these born-agains, and you'll find out right quick. I cant wait to get out of this ****ty state and move to LA with you".

Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,140,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I cant wait to get out of this ****ty state and move to LA with you".

You mean the LA that's in California, the state that already passed a constitutional amendment against gay marriage? Is that the LA you're talking about? *

* Note that I am completely opposed to NC's proposed amendment. It's just that I often feel compelled to point out comedy when I see it.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,676,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
At some point you have to call a spade a spade. It is what it is. It's an amendment to codify discrimination against gay people who want to marry in order to prevent a court from overturning discrimination in the future. This is bigotry. This is also a waste of time and state resources when we have much more important issues to deal with.
Coped has hit the nail on the proverbial head here. There is no debate / discussion here. This is not about a tax cut, or a zoning ordinance or some other issue that has pros and cons for the community at large that can be debated.

At its core, this amendment is about making a certain segment of our state's population second-class citizens via the removal / denial of certain rights based solely on an innate characteristic of their personality which in no way makes them a danger or a threat to our community. It is bigotry - pure and simple. It is just as deplorable as a bill that would seek to limit the rights granted to citizens of our state due to their gender or race.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,676,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Why is it that all the religious freaks need to put God on everything everytime they need to make a point ?
Because their faith is obviously so tenuous that they need amendments like this to be passed to validate their own belief system - which must be fairly weak to begin with if they are that insecure that they need such external validation.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,482,511 times
I did my job and voted against Amendment 1.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Because their faith is obviously so tenuous that they need amendments like this to be passed to validate their own belief system - which must be fairly weak to begin with if they are that insecure that they need such external validation.
The biggest irony is that for all the crowing about tradition and religion this whole thing is theologically suspect as all get out. The modern understanding of homosexuality only dates back to the early 19th century at the most, and Christian fundamentalism to the late 19th century. There's no legitimate religious tradition these guys are pulling from; it's naked bigotry plain and simple.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,571,271 times
I suspect it's going to pass, though I am hearing discussion from the right about the futility of it. But what some see as a moral issue is driving it. I try to do my "keep informed of all sides" part and listing to conservative talk radio when I'm driving around town in Wilmington - heard some guys over the weekend talk about the part of the amendment that was excluded from the ballot and discuss the impact beyond gay couples. There was no definitive statement made but they were leaning toward voting against.

If there were another month or so before the vote and there was more time to educate those willing to be educated, it might get voted down, but I dunno...

Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,376,462 times
All we can do is hope and get people out and vote.
Opponents of a proposed constitutional ban on gay marriage in North Carolina have out-raised a group supporting the referendum by a nearly 2-1 margin.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
I'm a registered independant/unafiliated. I can't vote in the party elections, can I vote against this ammendment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.