Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times

Advertisements

As a NC mother and grandmother, I would suggest to my daughter that her boyfriend should buy his own gun. Not only for the reasons stated, but he needs to show what he is made of. That would just be what I would suggest to my daughter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
BTW, I can see why he is trying to get around the 10 round magazine requirement for a semi automatic. Hardly seems worth the trouble to change magazines so frequently.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM

25 posts, read 75,317 times
check out ncgunowners.com... they may be able to help.

In the state of NC I can buy a rifle as a gift for another NC resident so long as he/she is legally allowed to buy one. We would then exchange information including serial number of the rifle for our records.

HOWEVER being that he is in NY i am not sure of the laws in that state- I know NY has VERY strict gun laws and I am not even allowed to drive through that state with my weapon locked up in a case in the trunk unless i am going to a state where its legal... Its rediculous. Chances are the laws are more trouble then its worth. You buy it and keep it in NC and let him shoot it when he comes to visit.

If its just to get around the magazine law then its pretty stupid because all you have to do for that is buy just the magazine in any state that allows it and drive it up.... theres no transportation laws for that. Its just illegal to own in NY. The laws there are redicolous if he is a responsible gun enthusiast - WHY is he still in NY?

Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 566 times
Can my girlfriend legally buy me a rifle as a gift, we live in the same state & city but not same household

Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
I realize this is an old thread but a few points:

First, the Federal Assault ban had a sunset provision and was not renewed so therefore is a moot point.

Secondly, it's important to know the laws of the state you're in. I'm not familiar with NY laws, but CA has an "assault weapons ban" that has both general (in terms of certain features) and specific (certain models/manufacturers) criteria for defining assault weapon. The general criteria defines certain features and the "capacity to accept a detachable magazine with greater than 10 rounds" as being an assault weapon. The specific definition defines certain models as assault weapons.

So even if someone were to purchase something that was compliant with the general definition and lacked certain features but was on the roster of named "assault weapons" then they would be guilty of possessing an assault weapon.

You would be best served by visiting a forum that is specifically for NY gun owners to determine how to be compliant. Purchasing a firearm for someone else is generally not a great idea, especially if they're in another state which has a completely different legal position on the matter.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
BTW, I can see why he is trying to get around the 10 round magazine requirement for a semi automatic. Hardly seems worth the trouble to change magazines so frequently.
Keep in mind that round capacity is a property of the magazine and not the rifle itself. CA has a similar law banning anything > 10 rounds, however the burden of proof was on the state to determine that possessor bought them prior to the ban. Many 30+ mags were being sold disassembled as "repair kits".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina