U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM

18,278 posts, read 24,499,093 times

Advertisements

I am a young retiree at 55, with a pre existing medical condition on my record. No treatment or symptoms or anything for over a decade, but I still get declined from individual health insurance.

We are moving to Raleigh and I strongly suspect that I will be declined again. But NC has the Inclusive Health program (Bless You, NC!!!!)

I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience with this program. Good or bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,899,010 times
Both my wife and myself are older with pre-existing conditions. When we retired a couple years ago, Blue Cross wouldn't even insure her and wanted 30K/yr just for me so we both got Inclusive Health.

The only problem we had is that some of our doctors wouldn't take it. Other than that the only problems we had with Inclusive were when the doctors office didn't code something right, but we had the same problems when we were working and on Blue Cross.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM

148 posts, read 651,808 times
Default Use the Federal Option

Both my wife and I are use the Ferderal Inclusive Health program. If you have been uninsured for a period of time(6 months I believe), can not get insurance through an employer, have an existing condition, and have been denied insurance through a private company, you should be eligible. Definitely apply to the Federal program instead of State program though because the Federal program is less expensive. Inclusiive Health has a great website, just Google it.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM

Wow, I didn't realize the rates for the federal program were that much less than for the state program. Just looked it up and would be $100/month cheaper for the federal 1000 deductible than it is for the state 3500 deductible that I have.

Still don't think I would gamble by going without insurance for 6 months just to save on the monthly rate. Seems kind of dumb that the federal law would encourage something like that.

Last edited by jeffs555; 04-21-2012 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 26,002,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize the rates for the federal program were that much less than for the state program. Just looked it up and would be $100/month cheaper for the federal 1000 deductible than it is for the state 3500 deductible that I have.

Still don't think I would gamble by going without insurance for 6 months just to save on the monthly rate. Seems kind of dumb that the federal law would encourage something like that.
I think it's trying to be there for those who fell totally through the net that the six month requirement was used.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegirl View Post
Both my wife and I are use the Ferderal Inclusive Health program. If you have been uninsured for a period of time(6 months I believe), can not get insurance through an employer, have an existing condition, and have been denied insurance through a private company, you should be eligible. Definitely apply to the Federal program instead of State program though because the Federal program is less expensive. Inclusiive Health has a great website, just Google it.
I am currently insured. I would have to go for 6 months WITHOUT insurance to qualify for this plan - which is actually called the Preexisting Condition Insurance Plan, commonly called PCIP.

It's a good alternative for someone who already lacks health insurance, but requiring that 6 months is just crazy, IMHO.

Of greater concern to me is that the PCIP was started in Sept 2010 as part of the first phase of the Health Care Reform Act (Obamacare). If HC reform is repealed (which is entirely possible), no one knows how (OR IF) those folks in the PCIP group will continue to get insurance.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:31 PM

I still don't understand the reason behind saying you have to go without insurance for six months to qualify for the federal plan.

There are plenty of hard working people who because of pre-existing conditions can only get health insurance through an employers group plan. I know in this great economy it is inconceivable that someone would loose their job, but if they did and were not in a state with a plan like NC they would have no way to get health insurance. It is great that the federal government has created a plan for them, but why say they have to gamble without insurance for six months? If they had a health problem in those six months it could likely bankrupt them and put them on welfare and medicaid costing the government much much more.

Thankfully NC had a state plan for pre-existing conditions, and luckily when I lost my job I was close enough to retirement that I had saved enough to afford it. I don't know what someone in a state without an insurance plan for pre-existing conditions would do.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post

Thankfully NC had a state plan for pre-existing conditions, and luckily when I lost my job I was close enough to retirement that I had saved enough to afford it. I don't know what someone in a state without an insurance plan for pre-existing conditions would do.
I can tell you what they do. They either go back to work until they qualify for Medicare (even if they financially don't need or want to work) or they move to another state. Hence, we are selling our paid off house in AZ at a 28% loss and moving to North Carolina. And no, I'm NOT kidding or exaggerating.

I am, however, deeply grateful that we can financially and emotionally deal with this decision. Not everyone would have this luxury.

(as to the rest of your post, I agree, but that's for a political discussion.)

Old 04-22-2012, 03:27 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,966,053 times
Jk: What is the situation with changing your husband's Medicare plan, or doesn't he have to? Are there better plans in NC than AZ? I will be facing that soon and don't know what to expect. Right now I am on a no premium advantage plan, but don't think they have them in NC. Love to read your posts !

Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM

This page says that Blue Cross has a zero premium Medicare Advantage plan in most NC counties. 2012 Medicare Advantage Plans Available to Residents of North Carolina

My mother has Blue Medicare advantage and she does have a small monthly premium, but I think that is only for the Part D prescription coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>