Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetriad View Post
To be honest, bugs will be a bigger problem down here simply because of our warmer and more humid climate. Never had to call an exterminator, but do get cave crickets, crickets, spiders, flies, mosquitoes and other bugs in the home. I live in an older home, so that may be part of it. Newer homes tend to be "tighter" and won't let in little critters as much.
With all due respect, I don't think that bugs in NC have anything to do with the age of a house. We bought an older home on 5 1/4 acres with a barn. We have not had *any* bugs in the house in the last 8 months.

We have had deer flies, horse flies, bees, wasps and mosquitoes and other bugs outside. As a horse owner I'm well aware that mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus. Instead of vaccinating my horse once a year I now vaccinate every 6 months.

Water buckets, horse troughs and any other type of water container that is a breeding ground for mosquitoes are emptied and cleaned out with bleach once a week at a minimum.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-26-2006 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times
Default Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Bound View Post
I'm not from the south, I'm in NY and about to make the move. I am scared!

please offer me some words of comfort lol
Can't, unfortunately. Bugs go with the territory here. If you can't deal with bugs, N.C. is not the place to move. If it's any consolation, one of my dogs was so sick of being stung every time she went out to potty that by the end of May, she wouldn't go outside unless I was with her. I'd forgotten about those green-headed deer flies. ( And yes, they do pack a sting) Then there are the fire ants, which don't pay any attention to map boundaries :-) Yes, N.C. has bugs, in abundance. They don't bother me, but if anyone seriously has a problem with them I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

My horse hates them too. They torment him, waaay more than they did in VA, and I've been using the super duper, 5X the regular strength spray on him. Doesn't help.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-26-2006 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM

108 posts, read 374,252 times
AHHHHH!
Love snakes, hate spiders!
I am moving from FL to get rid of the fire ants and want to move to west NC, are there many wolf spiders there???????
I am SCARED TO DEATH OF THEM!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:05 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teressah View Post
AHHHHH!
Love snakes, hate spiders!
I am moving from FL to get rid of the fire ants and want to move to west NC, are there many wolf spiders there???????
I am SCARED TO DEATH OF THEM!!!
What the heck are wolf spiders? Do they howl in the middle of the night?

Old 10-04-2006, 03:19 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
wolf spiders nasty little creatures, brown and they bite, got bit once whole hand swelled up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 04:00 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:

I just moved down here from NY (Long Island) and that was one of the first questions I asked. To me, small bugs....small problem. BIG bugs.....BIG problems. I even spoke to the builder about it. Aside from the spiders and other alien insects, he said that if we wanted to, we could hire a pest control company to do other types of treatment (aside from the usual termite treatment). I've heard so many horror stories about bugs and even I (deathly afraid of bugs) made the move anyway. As someone mentioned in another post, don't let the unknown deter you from making the move. There are many more positives that would outweigh those stinkin' bugs.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:10 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
Quote:

Don't fret! It is not that bad! I came from CT and my only complaint is mosquitos. But that is nothing a little deep woods off can't take care of. I have not seen anything too scary. I thought the Cicada's were really cool...I had never seen those before, and no they won't eat your leg off. I did see one snake, but it was about 5 inches long...not real threatening. I think the bugs are the same as up north(fot the most part)....they just stay around a little longer because of the warmer weather. I was warned before we moved that the bugs were awful, and I did not find that at all. Hopefully that will cheer you up a little!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina