Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

I know many couples who are gay both genders & I have watched them raise their children & I have to say that they are more well rounded then the majority of straight couples I know. So this attitude that gay couples are some how incapable of raising children badly is pure B.S. This argument is made out of pure stupidity and nothing else time & time again. The same old references are used by biased individuals to help push their religion/way of life onto the rest of us. The idea that gay couples are out there turning children gay is incredibility stupid. It's just more fear mongering on there part. One would think that after a while they would come up with something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=d2n7vSPwhSU
I have become so embarrassed for my state.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post

Local Pastor Calls For Death of 'Queers & Homosexuals' - YouTube
I have become so embarrassed for my state.
Sad, isn't it?
Before long, we'll just be seen as a stupid backwater state. The Governor was right about being compared to Mississippi and this is the sort of thing that makes that happen. For heavens sake, the man can't even enunciate the word against....which he proves several times in a row. In fact, I had to go back and watch it again to even figure out what he even said.

On the only positive side, I am glad this video is out there because it exposes the bigotry and hatred that, for many, is at the core of this issue.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM

353 posts, read 580,883 times
"Society taught spouses (especially wives) to "look the other way" when their partners were unfaithful or otherwise toxic destructive to the relationship and to stick by them no matter what. Domestic violence was largely swept under the rug and very rarely reported. And even when it was, laws and legal action against it were very weak"

Oh that cr** would not fly with me... No matter what the state says...

Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
I would like to extend my gratitude to the people of North Carolina for preserving the unique institution of marriage. Without marriage, our society will crumble. Children from broken families are statistically more likely to:
* be raised in poverty
* drop out of high school
* have trouble with the law

The primary purpose of Amendment 1 is to protect children by strengthening marriage. Redefining marriage to mean anything other than a man and a woman weakens the very institution of marriage. Marriage should not be regarded as an arbitrary condition, neither by homosexuals nor by heterosexuals. Arguments that distract from the main issue are attempts to ignore the importance of children in our society.

I am not surprised by the vicious slander hurled against supporters of this amendment, and specifically against Southerners and Christians. I do hope people responding to this topic refrain from launching diatribe, instead thoughtfully responding to points raised in rational discussion. Remember, this is not a religion vs. atheist position. It is a pro child position.

And I say to supporters on my own side.... Please refrain from smugness, even when it is hurled at you. People respond better to kindness. I have friends who I lived with years ago (before I knew their inclinations) caught up on the unhappy side of this issue. I still communicate with them, despite the fact they know my position and I know they consider themselves married now, despite the fact they aren't.
I am disappointed to see this kind of religious bigotry in my state in the 21st century. I will never understand how people like you get off on imposing your religious beliefs on others. It is unfortunate that conservative Christians such as yourself are taking away other people's rights because your book demands it. Our country was not founded on any religion, it was not founded on your religion, and not everyone in this country shares your religious beliefs, yet you seem to want to force the rest of us to observe your rituals and traditions even if they are patently unfair to some people.

Amendment 1 bans not only same sex marriage but also civil unions and domestic partnerships. It punishes children living in households with same sex parents, and unmarried heterosexual parents. It punishes every ***** person in the state, and it will be used to demonize and humiliate them. On top of that, I know three heterosexual couples who had domestic partnership status, living in this state. Now they're going to have to either marry or leave.

Christians do not have a monopoly on marriage, or families. You didn't invent marriage, and you don't have the final word on what marriage is in our society, or what a family is.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I am disappointed to see this kind of religious bigotry in my state in the 21st century. I will never understand how people like you get off on imposing your religious beliefs on others. It is unfortunate that conservative Christians such as yourself are taking away other people's rights because your book demands it. Our country was not founded on any religion, it was not founded on your religion, and not everyone in this country shares your religious beliefs, yet you seem to want to force the rest of us to observe your rituals and traditions even if they are patently unfair to some people.

Amendment 1 bans not only same sex marriage but also civil unions and domestic partnerships. It punishes children living in households with same sex parents, and unmarried heterosexual parents. It punishes every ***** person in the state, and it will be used to demonize and humiliate them. On top of that, I know three heterosexual couples who had domestic partnership status, living in this state. Now they're going to have to either marry or leave.

Christians do not have a monopoly on marriage, or families. You didn't invent marriage, and you don't have the final word on what marriage is in our society, or what a family is.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I think states like NC should have started first with trying to legalize "civil unions" instead of going straight to marriage. That way people who are afraid of gay marriages, would see that it doesn't change anything in their traditional marriages, the world doesn't fall apart, and eventually they would ease into the acceptance of it.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
For christians to allow people they hate to have equal rights, it is going to take the Supreme Court to rule their hate based laws are unconstitutional. A few examples;

Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954 or,
Loving vs. Virginia in 1967 or,
Griswold vs. Connecticut in 1965

Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Also, I can't believe the word "q-u-e-e-r" gets censored on this forum. It's not a derogatory term.

I am openly bisexual. I have a same-sex partner currently. I am the very definition of "q-u-e-e-r", and I find the term very useful because I'd rather say that than LGBT all the time to refer to everyone in that umbrella.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I think states like NC should have started first with trying to legalize "civil unions" instead of going straight to marriage. That way people who are afraid of gay marriages, would see that it doesn't change anything in their traditional marriages, the world doesn't fall apart, and eventually they would ease into the acceptance of it.
NC wasn't trying to legalize civil unions or same sex marriage. What happened is when the legislature was elected on the promise of jobs the first thing they did was make abortion as close to illegal as possible as the UE rate stayed high. Then they thought "OMG we need something else because UE is still really, really high...I know lets create a Constitutional Amendment that doesn't do anything expect single out and spite gay people." Seeing as how unemployment is still high, my guess is that their next big job creating idea will be to repeal the NC racial justice act.

Make no mistake about it. The NC gay marriage amendment was not about legalizing gay marriage, or the idea that gay marriage or civil unions would become legal. It was about scapegoating gay people, because our legislature has failed to create jobs and is in the process of destroying the UNC and K-12 education systems. As such look for them to continue to bring up divisive social issues out of the blue in hopes of getting enough people to vote against their interests, their kids interests, and the interests of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina