Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
The fact that you folks are concerned over what John Stewart says about NC just shows how pathetic your lives are.

He's an entertainer! I really enjoy listening to Rush (imagine that) but if he starts bashing NC over something we've done, big whoop. Get a life folks.
Of course you listen to Rush. You use the same tactics he does. You willfully miss the point and you just throw stuff at the wall in hopes that something will stick.

No one is "concerned" over what John Stewart said.

The whole idea of posting the video is to see the points John Stewart made about how ridiculous the amendment is, and how it hurts unmarried heterosexual couples. It's also funny to see him making fun of the whole silly mindset of some people.

I'm sure if Rush put up a video that you thought summed up your thoughts and was funny to boot, you would post it.

You were gloating in the other thread that Buncombe County voted against the amendment by 51%. Yet you ignored the poster who said that while Buncombe County voted at 51%, the City of Asheville voted against it at 70%.

No surprise. That's how you roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Why be mad at him? He's just saying what 61% of the voters did.

61% voted for an amendment titled defence of marriage
. Gay marriage was already illegal, so the amendment says that civil unions, which most North Carolinians support, is illegal. But since NC is an equal rights state, domestic partnerships, which includes the straight & the elderly got thrown in for good measure. Apparently, 51% of the voters are afraid that old people who can not marry because of social security laws are endangering marriage.

The Republicans got elected because they said that they would help bring in jobs. Have they done that? No, but they slashed the education budget. This is a smokescreen to get people mad at each other so that they don't say "Those good for nothings haven't done squat."
Which represents a mere 20% of registered voters.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:23 AM

351 posts, read 632,709 times
I think I've taken pretty much everything you've all thrown at me and thrown it right back even harder. But in the end, you'll agree with like minded folks and I'll do the same.

Get mad. Yell and scream. Post videos of like-minded TV folks. Quote our lame duck governor who at least realized she was constantly being ranked the weakest governor in the country and decided to "not run so it wouldn't be a distraction for education" or something gimmicky like that. Make excuses like how voter turn-out was extremely low so that means something I guess (in all honesty, that's one of my favorites of your whines).

I'm gonna spend less time here than I've been doing. All this ranting and bickering with a bunch of sore losers is just bringing me down. Please, continue to talk amongst yourselves.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Of course you listen to Rush. You use the same tactics he does. You willfully miss the point and you just throw stuff at the wall in hopes that something will stick.

No one is "concerned" over what John Stewart said.

The whole idea of posting the video is to see the points John Stewart made about how ridiculous the amendment is, and how it hurts unmarried heterosexual couples. It's also funny to see him making fun of the whole silly mindset of some people.
There's absolutely nothing ridiculous about the amendment. The very notion that two men could marry is ridiculous and undermines the very foundation of marriage, which is indeed the formation of a family. It's as if nature's rules and laws went out the window. Just do it with whatever wombat walks around.

"Gay marriage" isn't even taken seriously where it's practiced. The average Dutch "gay marriage" partner has 8 extra-marital affairs per year.

Jon Stewart is one of the most obnoxious comedians around. He's entirely predictable. Just lift your eyebrows, make childish, pedantic hand gestures, and belittle the point.

Of course, Stewart is wrong. Rates of marriage are declining. Cohabitation rates are dramatically up. All of this has been as society had undermined marriage through no fault divorce, accepting the notion of children being born out of wedlock, and cheapened the whole institution to the point where some states have completely written the idea of family off. This decline has absolutely ravished the black community. Once again, the wrong-headed Stewart can't tell this arse from his elbow.

Meanwhile, his dim fans cheer on.

I couldn't care less about the effects on straight couples. Exactly why do they need a domestic partnership, anyway? And of what business of the state's is it? Sure, the state has every reason to encourage marriage and child-birth within that marriage. It produces the next generation of citizens and stable family structures.

It should be noted that this amendment did NOTHING to ban unions, be they gay or straight. It just simply stated that the state doesn't recognize it or grant it legal status. That doesn't stop a pair of citizens or a gaggle of citizens from having a marriage ceremony and living their lives as they see fit. Or entering contracts and acquiring rights in the state through other legal means.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I think I've taken pretty much everything you've all thrown at me and thrown it right back even harder. But in the end, you'll agree with like minded folks and I'll do the same.

Get mad. Yell and scream. Post videos of like-minded TV folks. Quote our lame duck governor who at least realized she was constantly being ranked the weakest governor in the country and decided to "not run so it wouldn't be a distraction for education" or something gimmicky like that. Make excuses like how voter turn-out was extremely low so that means something I guess (in all honesty, that's one of my favorites of your whines).

I'm gonna spend less time here than I've been doing. All this ranting and bickering with a bunch of sore losers is just bringing me down. Please, continue to talk amongst yourselves.

Well don't go away mad, just go away.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM

351 posts, read 632,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well don't go away mad, just go away.
Exactly. You guys are the ones staying mad.

I, on the other hand, will relish in our victory and like you said, just go away. This pity party is all yours.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. You guys are the ones staying mad.

I, on the other hand, will relish in our victory and like you said, just go away. This pity party is all yours.
Naw, you're the one that stamped your little feet and stomped off and came back for more. Sad dude.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Quote:
The fact that you folks are concerned over what John Stewart says about NC just shows how pathetic your lives are.

He's an entertainer! I really enjoy listening to Rush (imagine that) but if he starts bashing NC over something we've done, big whoop. Get a life folks.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
^^^^

All this proves is that Rush Limbaugh, another individual who has made a mockery of traditional marriage by being married multiple times to different partners, agrees with those of you who feel that marriage should not be a lifetime commitment between one man and one woman.

You, and John, and Rush. Perfect together.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
The hypocrisy exists on the fringes of both sides as illustrated below:

Marines in Berkeley - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/10/08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina