Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
Actually not only Mississippi but also:
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Wisconsin
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California (with the passage of Prop 8)
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Kansas
Kentucky
Idaho
Louisiana
Michigan
Those pesky facts
Face it, people do not want same sex marriage legalized - and Amendment One solidified it. Now at least we won't have to hear about it trying to get passed every couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
No it didn't. North Carolina upheld marriage as it has existed on every society, time immemorial, throughout the entire globe. Up until 20-years ago, the idea that anything could exist outside of marriage between one man and one woman was preposterous except in society's where concentrated power allowed a few elite to practice polygamy. I don't even know if you could call those societies but moreso concentrations of power.

The family stood at the center of civilization, as it should. By far the most secure setting in which to raise a child is in the relationship of a biological mother and father. This is abundantly clear. And we as a society has gradually drifted backwards over the past 50-100 years.

Funny, when no fault divorce was introduced, proponents swore up and down it wouldn't fundamentally change the family structure, that divorce rates wouldn't dramatically increase. How right were any of those thoughts? And the same force driving that movement is driving the backwards movement to change marriage to anything other than one man and one woman.
Your dismissal of the long history of polygamy and bisexuality throughout history is rather too convenient.

Hmm. So essentially what your saying is that because one particular form of family is according to some "the best" way to raise children, that all other alternative forms should be banned. So, if a child's biological parents abandon him/her, and a gay couple wants to adopt, this should not be allowed because it is not the "best" way to raise children? And the child should certainly not be allowed on this adopted couple's health insurance because that couple is not a legitimate family? Interesting, very interesting ....

How then do you propose taking care of those children who are either abandoned by their biological parents or whose parents die?

Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Those pesky facts
Face it, people do not want same sex marriage legalized - and Amendment One solidified it. Now at least we won't have to hear about it trying to get passed every couple years.
You're going to hear about it a lot more often. It's going to make a massive headache for the courts.

This should not be a matter of public opinion, but a matter of civil rights.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That NCN poster is amusing. It can't be a real person--it sounds like somebody out of a skit exaggerating stereotypes about the south.

The only person I've ever known who had moonshine made at a family still--jars of it that his brother would bring when he visited NJ--was from North Carolina. To claim that North Carolinians drink less than "Yankees" is pretty funny! At first thought, I would say that was the exact opposite--in my perception, southerners are the heavier drinkers--but in reality, the percentage of boozers probably has little to do with location.
She's real.

I don't think that there's much difference, regionally. It can be a class things, though.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-12-2012 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
She's real.

I don't think that there much difference, regionally. It can be a class things, though.
The old joke was, "North Carolinians will vote dry as long as they can stagger to the polls."

It was pure hypocrisy mainly born of religion. The Baptists strictly forbid drinking at all, but that didn't stop Baptists from drinking. They just didn't want to admit it.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
She's real.

I don't think that there much difference, regionally. It can be a class things, though.
I figured--she isn't a new poster by the looks of it. It's just bizarre to actually read someone saying some of those things. Not just the opposition to gay marriage--plenty of people here in NJ are also opposed to it.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I figured--she isn't a new poster by the looks of it. It's just bizarre to actually read someone saying some of those things. Not just the opposition to gay marriage--plenty of people here in NJ are also opposed to it.
I've seen her go on the main NJ board, spreading her delusions.

This thread is one of many concerning the deceptively titled amendment that people passed. Our governor is POed about it, because it will hurt getting jobs & hurled an insult at the people who voted for this. Same sex marriage was already illegal, but they used that as the title to go after civil unions & domestic partnerships. It's got nothing to do with Yankees or booze, but I guess if that's what you want to grind your ax on. . .

Old 05-12-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The old joke was, "North Carolinians will vote dry as long as they can stagger to the polls."

It was pure hypocrisy mainly born of religion. The Baptists strictly forbid drinking at all, but that didn't stop Baptists from drinking. They just didn't want to admit it.
LOL. My mom was Scotch-Irish & they were Methodist. If I recall correctly, some Methodists forbid it as well. Quakers disaprove, but do forbid getting drunk. (One of my ancestors was read out for getting drunk. )

Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
LOL. My mom was Scotch-Irish & they were Methodist. If I recall correctly, some Methodists forbid it as well. Quakers disaprove, but do forbid getting drunk. (One of my ancestors was read out for getting drunk. )
I'm Episcopalian. We have wine and beer at our potlucks. Mimosas at Easter Brunch after church.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I'm Episcopalian. We have wine and beer at our potlucks. Mimosas at Easter Brunch after church.
My family is like a tossed salad of religions. One of my cousins even intermarried with Christian Reformed.

The amendment is the product of the do-nothing tea party legislature. They know that people have been furious, so this is what they did to deflect attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina