Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:21 PM

112 posts, read 258,166 times

Advertisements

It seems most transplants around here are from NY. What exactly is so wrong with that place so many of you want to leave? Don’t you think that since so many of you are coming down here that you are going to recreate the conditions that you left?

Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
It seems most transplants around here are from NY. What exactly is so wrong with that place so many of you want to leave? Don’t you think that since so many of you are coming down here that you are going to recreate the conditions that you left?
Personally speaking, the conditions were right for me & my family. DH is 55 & retired & we have 1 child, a HS freshman. We were barely making ends meet on his pension & salary in NY. Our taxes were high & going up, yet again, this coming Jan. (10% increase was what we were hearing). In NC, I have double the house, it's brand-new & gorgeous, taxes are about 1/3 of what I had in NY & I get more services for my tax $$ in NC than I did in NY. For us it was a win-win situation.

I LOVE NY..always will..it will always be in my blood. I don't hate it, it was just time for us to move on. We LOVE Mooresville...VERY HAPPY with our house & community.

BxRosie

Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Beats me. If I had unlimited funds, I'd be living in Manhattan in a second.

That reminds me...did I mail my Publisher's Clearinghouse entry yet? LOL

Old 09-20-2006, 07:49 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
If I had unlimited funds, I'd be living in Manhattan in a second.
That's the key phrase, "unlimited funds."

SL

Old 09-20-2006, 08:28 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
New York is a great place to live. It is probably a matter of economics, and people looking for that "perfect place." They believe all the hype about NC, and decide that is going to make them happy. Personally, I would rather have my two bedroom apartment in Brooklyn than a palatial estate in NC (I lived in NC for 12 years and owned a house in both TN and NC).
Now the people from Long Island are a very specific type of New Yorkers IMO.
Really concerned about Money and Status and the amount of house they can afford, etc. Therefore, many of them are looking at what they can afford in NC, as compared to Long Island. And I agree, that the more transplants that come from there to Charlotte or the Triad area, yes they will bring the same problems in time. Maybe if enough long islanders move to NC, it will thin things out and make long Island a decent place to live again. Now, Up-State New Yorkers are typically salt of the earth folks. They remind me a lot of the Midwesterners I grew up around in Michigan.
In the Cit - You can find just about any kind of group you want to hang out with. We even have some good Ole boys here, if you look closely.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
The reason why we are moving ;

We arent originally from Long Island, but we ended up here and have lived here for 20 years. We have two boys ; 6&7 who go to catholic school. Both dh and I work fulltime ; he works 50 hours and I am self employed but work between 30-35 hours now, and in the spring/summer I work up to 70.We also live in a lovely new development but as the boys go to a different school, they have no friends where we live. We also have no family here.

By moving, financially it is a very good move. We will sell the business and two houses which will enable us to semi retire ; we will have no mortgage, no school fees, no debt. Both of us intend to work , but maybe 30 -35 hours a week. We will be able to have more of a family life. We are tired of the rat race, the running, trying to squeeze more into the day. I dont want to change what is in NC. We are from Ireland where things are much slower, people trust eachother a lot more, and the scenery is beautiful.

So thats why we want to leave NY. I love it here, love Manhatten, but its time for a slower pace of life.
dorothy

Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 AM

146 posts, read 638,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Personally speaking, the conditions were right for me & my family. DH is 55 & retired & we have 1 child, a HS freshman. We were barely making ends meet on his pension & salary in NY. Our taxes were high & going up, yet again, this coming Jan. (10% increase was what we were hearing). In NC, I have double the house, it's brand-new & gorgeous, taxes are about 1/3 of what I had in NY & I get more services for my tax $$ in NC than I did in NY. For us it was a win-win situation.

I LOVE NY..always will..it will always be in my blood. I don't hate it, it was just time for us to move on. We LOVE Mooresville...VERY HAPPY with our house & community.

BxRosie
Hey BX were pretty much in the same boat. I retired from the city and get a pension. My 2 kids are finishing HS and middle school. Its now or never. I'm sure like you our NY home will pay for our NEW and bigger home with much less taxes. Will be a resident of Wesley Chapel next July, cant wait.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 44,653 times
NY is an overall good place to live, if you like the fast paced, expensive lifestyle. I lived this life, not by choice. Unfortunately, I was born and raised in NY and vowed that I would leave as soon as I could. Which is what I'm doing.

Imagine working in Midtown Manhattan with high-rise buildings on every corner. When you go outside for lunch, the average wait time is 20-30 minutes. Therefore you are forced to chug your lunch down without tasting it. Also, don't try to go for a walk, either you are walking on top of the back of someone else's heels or they're walking on yours. Try getting into a jam packed train every morning with people who wear backpacks sticking in your face/ribs/back, body odor, bad breath, down right rude (will trample or fight you for a seat)people, homeless people or praying that the train is not more than 10 minutes late. You step in gum, spit, dog ****, used condoms, whatever. People have no respect for your property (house, car or person).

We should not be forced to live this way of life because we were born here. I'm sure that if you came up here to visit and toured not only Manhattan (which is what most tourist do), but the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island) as well, you'd go running back to NC.

I want a much calmer, healthier (3 sons have asthma) and better way of life for my family and myself.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:36 AM

72 posts, read 271,099 times
I live in Westchester Co (north of Manhattan). I'm originally from the Boston area, but have been in the NY area for the last several years. Wife and I are considering moving for a few reasons:

- The never ending refrain of cost. A condo here is $500K, so we rent an apartment where several things break on a regular occasion, the landlord (live in the same 3 unit building) and his family constantly hit my wife's car, and the yuppy town doesn't allow anyone to park anywhere.

- I enjoy visiting NYC, but frankly its too crowded for me. I like some open spaces and enjoy camping and hiking and all that stuff. Yeah, we have some nice parks, etc. "upstate," but I'd like to actually see trees and open spaces that aren't covered with trash.

- The infrastructure around here is pretty crappy. Schools are OK depending on where you live (like anywhere in the US), but roads, airports, trains, etc. are all pretty beat. Driving in the tri-state area takes years of life off your car.

- Everyone trumpets the diversity of the northeast, but, especially in Boston, all the "limo liberals" self-segregate themselves. When you're at a cocktail party with all white folks everyone talks about how open-minded they are, etc., and then these same people clutch their purse and lock their doors when they see someone brown. NYC is like this to a lesser extent. The northeast is also full of "open minded" people who are open minded as long as you agree 100% with their world view. If you have different political or social leanings you are regarded as some kind of nut job.

- NY is very status-driven. Folks my age (~30) are all concerned with what they're wearing and which parties and clubs they are going to. Lots of bragging about where you work and what you drive versus what's in your head and what you're doing for the world. Lots of "hipsters" trying to upstage one another.

- People (esp. lifetime New Yorkers) are actually fairly close minded about other places. Ask any New Yorker if they've ever been to place X, and they'll say "Why?? NYC is the BEST place in the WORLD." You hear this with all the bagel and pizza talk, but also when talking about other people/places/cultures. Why go to Paris? I can get Parisian food in NY. Why go to Viet Nam, I once had a Vietnamese cab driver, etc.

- I could not imagine raising children in this environment.

That's about it. The lower cost of living is probably 4th or 5th on my ranking of importance. I spent some time in Raleigh and liked the folks around NC, so hence we are considering a move there. I know every area has its problems and "nuances," but the negatives in this area are vastly outweighing the positives at this point.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:33 AM

112 posts, read 258,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
And I agree, that the more transplants that come from there to Charlotte or the Triad area, yes they will bring the same problems in time. Maybe if enough long islanders move to NC, it will thin things out and make long Island a decent place to live again.
So I am supposed to see my hometown ruined with these kinds of people so LI will be a better place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina