U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 PM

13 posts, read 75,188 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm new to the thread this is my first post, although I follow and read often. I currently live in New Jersey, and I desperately am ready to move to North Carolina. Jersey is way too expensive and the crime rate is terrible, anyway where I live. Please help me with any possible suggestions for towns/cities to relocate to. My family is originally from NC grandparents lived in Fayetteville and Durham area. I have two children age 12 and 4. I'm looking to go up by the Charlotte area, or outside. My husband will be working most likely in Charlotte, sorry not sure on the exact address yet. My main concern is safety for my children, good school systems, and low crime rate. I'm looking to spend up to about $165,000 for a single-family. I'm looking for nice quiet friendly neiborhoods (which is very rare up here ....... I would like to find a town not far to travel to and from work, and still keep us in traveling distance of shopping areas and things like that. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.....

Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,617,095 times
There are many options for you. I live in Concord (a suburb northeast of Charlotte) and absolutely love it here. It's VERY family friendly and the schools are some of the best in the state (my wife is a middle school science teacher here in the system). Housing is affordable and taxes are low. You mentioned you're wanting to spend in the $165 range for a home. That's probably what I could sell my home for if it was on the market. To give you and idea, it's in a subdivision 5 minutes from a regional mall, restaurants, I-85, and everything you could want, but nice and quiet. It's on 1/3 acre, 2100 sq. ft. I can get to uptown Charlotte during non-rush hour times in 20 minutes, and Carowinds theme park, the lakes, the new U.S. Whitewater Center, and all other area recreation in 20-35 minutes. Concord's population is 67,000 and the crime rate is low. My family and I have never felt unsafe. But there are other suburban communities that are also very good; Belmont, NC (west), Mooresville, NC (north), and Ft. Mill, SC (south) come to mind. If you have any other questions, ask away!!!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Well I really appreciate all that good information, it really helped me a bunch.... That sounds like some place I would like to live. Also can you tell me your opinion on the town Huntersville? and how far is that from Charlotte Some of my friends told me to look into that also.....and another thing which cellular company works the best out there? Thanks again for all your help

Old 09-20-2006, 02:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,714,665 times
Just curious, where are you in Jersey?

We are in Somerset County now. Scheduled to close on a house in Monroe (Union County), NC, late October.

Don't know much about Huntersville except to say that lots of transplants seem to flock to that town. When we visited, we received multiple suggestions to check out developments in Huntersville. It wasn't what we were looking for though ....

Good luck.

SL

Old 09-20-2006, 03:01 PM

Hi thanks,

I live in Irvington NJ , Essex County. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going in NC yet, but I do know I will be up by Charlotte outside area. I plan to move by Spring time.......thank you

Old 09-20-2006, 03:03 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,714,665 times
I know Irvington well ...

Where we're going is the Charlotte area. Once upon a time I thought I would relocate to the Raleigh area, this was five or so years ago ... Charlotte has more appeal to me now.

If you're choosing between Huntersville or Concord, I would definitely go for Concord.

Good luck!

SL

Old 09-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Thanks !! I was 3 years ago also looking at the Raleigh area, but to since then changed my mind and decided to go for Charlotte. thanks again for all your help and good luck to you on your new house

I'm so looking forward to moving to NC , and the nice people there because there are none left here in JERSEY!!!!! (just kidding)

yonniepoos

Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 56,759 times
Hey yonnieposs, i just moved here from Jersey last month. My wife grew up in Irvington, well until she was 7, and I was just working on the new Mt. Vernon school up until the day I moved.

All the above towns mentioned sound like good choices, we moved to Mooresville with the other half of NY and NJ that didnt go to Huntersville.

I just gotta question about Concord. I've only been there about 4 times, and maybe they were bad times, but it took me more then 20 minutes to go down that road in front of the mall just to get to 85 (speedeway blvd?). Is it always like that?? Makes traffic at 77 & 150 seem like nothing.

DevilDog

Old 09-20-2006, 08:40 PM

Hi there DevilDog ,

It seems many people are relocating from Jersey, I wonder why

Well, I have not been to Concord at all someone had just mentioned that to me as a great area to live. How was the area in your opinion? I have not decided on a particular area yet, it's hard to choose when you know nothing about the places except what you read. I plan to make several short trips down there and get a feel for different areas though. We are planning to be there for good by Spring time.....thanks again

Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM

48 posts, read 146,117 times
Have fun yonniepoos. Jersey Guy here living in Raleigh NC right now and moving back to Jersey in about a month.

you may like it, i dont know. all i can say is, for someone that grew up on the NJ/NY border getting used to the south has just been impossable. very different down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina