U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM
 
2,669 posts, read 6,813,612 times
Reputation: 3566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Aside from their rhetoric, what is the NC GOP actually *doing* to support their supposed platform?
NDL, do you live in NC? If not, maybe you aren't aware of the completely unnecessary so-called anti-gay* amendment which was proposed and approved for referendum by the NC GOP. That's what much of this is about.



* I say "so-called" because the buffoons couldn't even get the wording right. Instead of an anti-gay amendment, they put forth an anti-domestic union amendment that applies not only to gay couples, but to unmarried heterosexual couples, and who knows who else because they didn't define what "domestic union" really means. And it's unnecessary because we already have laws against same-sex marriage, so the amendment effectively does nothing other than take time and resources away from the work the legislature should be doing--like improving the economy, education, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2012, 11:23 AM
NDL
 
Location: The CLT area
4,062 posts, read 4,837,507 times
Reputation: 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
NDL, do you live in NC? If not, maybe you aren't aware of the completely unnecessary so-called anti-gay* amendment which was proposed and approved for referendum by the NC GOP. That's what much of this is about.
I don't live in NC (yet ), and while I am aware of the referendum, I don't have the level of awareness that a North Carolinian might.

I am a devout Christian, who believes that marriage is between a man and a woman.

I believe in the means that the State used (in this I am referring to the referendum process), in putting forth this amendment.

I am, however, against the fact that the State can use this amendment, or any other, to enforce standards upon privately owned businesses. It should be a company's prerogative to provide to it's employees, any health (or other) benefit it wishes - including those involved in domestic partnerships.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,241 posts, read 2,177,076 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I am, however, against the fact that the State can use this amendment, or any other, to enforce standards upon privately owned businesses. It should be a company's prerogative to provide to it's employees, any health (or other) benefit it wishes - including those involved in domestic partnerships.
This is what I also believe. I don't understand why Republicans, the supposed small government party and pro-business party, wants to make more laws governing people and businesses. One of many reasons why I switched to the Libertarian party over a decade ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Garner, NC
351 posts, read 605,528 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I've read many of your well articulated arguments. Surely you're above expressing yourself without condescension .
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You are quite right, and I usually try to stay above it. But we have a bit of history with Ernest T. around here, so I just couldn't help myself in this case.

Point taken, though.
Yes, we're all actually good friends here. They only yell at me because I'm right so often.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,806 posts, read 32,223,072 times
Reputation: 10239
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I don't live in NC (yet ), and while I am aware of the referendum, I don't have the level of awareness that a North Carolinian might.

I am a devout Christian, who believes that marriage is between a man and a woman.

I believe in the means that the State used (in this I am referring to the referendum process), in putting forth this amendment.

I am, however, against the fact that the State can use this amendment, or any other, to enforce standards upon privately owned businesses. It should be a company's prerogative to provide to it's employees, any health (or other) benefit it wishes - including those involved in domestic partnerships.
NDL, Ammendment One gets into the bedrooms of every unmarried adult in NC. All relationships except heterosexual marriages, are subject to court litigation. The scope is unknown. Putting people's rights up to a public vote is just plain bad. Would you like it if something that had an effect on you, personally, was put up for a vote?

I don't care what your religious convictions are, nor should you care what mine are. That should not enter the legal process. The recent vote was not to make same sex marriages legal.

2 men wrote the amendment without vetting it with lawyers. One died before the vote & the other came out against it.

Our teaparty legislature was voted in on a jobs platform. So far, they are batting zero on the jobs issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,866,102 times
Reputation: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
yeah it was really clever how they used Herman Cain to cover for their distaste for black citizens.
Yeah, they used him alright! Did you really think that the majority of black folks would support Herman Cain in the first place! You gotta do better than that, lol! It's a well-known fact that blacks don't support Republicans and for good reason, why would I support a party that everytime we have an election, they do their best to appeal to the most racist and bigoted elements of society with very coded messages that play on their racist stereotypes they have of blacks and any other minority group? If you have an answer for that, please let me know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
 
16,294 posts, read 27,317,285 times
Reputation: 8357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
It reads perfectly fine to me.

Go GOP!
The fact that the two sentences are in direct opposition to each other, and you think it is fine, is the problem with the repuke party.

To call it the GOP is a huge insult to the past, for today there is nothing grand, or in any way resembles the old party, that was the republican party of the last century.

It has been hijacked by the neocon war mongers, the military industrial complex and the banks, who own and control every aspect of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,866,102 times
Reputation: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The fact that the two sentences are in direct opposition to each other, and you think it is fine, is the problem with the repuke party.

To call it the GOP is a huge insult to the past, for today there is nothing grand, or in any way resembles the old party, that was the republican party of the last century.

It has been hijacked by the neocon war mongers, the military industrial complex and the banks, who own and control every aspect of it.
You ain't never lied about today's Republican Party, aka, the party of the middle-aged white male who feel threatened that their country has been taken from them!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 11:49 AM
 
12,574 posts, read 14,853,872 times
Reputation: 8953
Even without the OP's statement it became obvious to me during the primaries the Repubs have their priorities wrong as well as having a specific agenda:
We are still in the midst of a recession and yet the Repub led house was worried about some gay people might want to do some time in the future.
Additionally the presentation of amendment one signifies the Republicans fear their majority will be short lived. Naturally, with stupid moves as this it will be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 11:57 AM
 
12,574 posts, read 14,853,872 times
Reputation: 8953
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I don't live in NC (yet ), and while I am aware of the referendum, I don't have the level of awareness that a North Carolinian might.

I am a devout Christian, who believes that marriage is between a man and a woman.

I believe in the means that the State used (in this I am referring to the referendum process), in putting forth this amendment.

I am, however, against the fact that the State can use this amendment, or any other, to enforce standards upon privately owned businesses. It should be a company's prerogative to provide to it's employees, any health (or other) benefit it wishes - including those involved in domestic partnerships.
Keeping in mind before the amendment was put on the ballot same sex marriage was already against the law. The Repubs were afraid this law would somehow be overturned in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
This is what I also believe. I don't understand why Republicans, the supposed small government party and pro-business party, wants to make more laws governing people and businesses. One of many reasons why I switched to the Libertarian party over a decade ago.
I would venture to guess both of you would favor overturning the smoking ban in restaurants and bars?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top