U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,175,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I would venture to guess both of you would favor overturning the smoking ban in restaurants and bars?
I would and I don't smoke. The individual business/owner should decide if smoking is allowed in their restaurant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM

4,895 posts, read 4,779,568 times
Isn't drinking alcohol violate some law in the bible? If so, how can Christians morally support this law????? Maybe every church should send out its bus load of religious zealots tO vote against it.

Just like amendment one, I don't care about this vote neither. So sad Charlotte is located in a state where people only care about guns, god, and the bible....

I too am Christian. Just not a hypocrite. I believe there are quite a good amount of churches in clt (especially the Presbyterian churches) that accept same sex civil unions. Religious fanatics are like little sheep to the republican party (whose moderate leaders are quite excellent)

This reminds me of former catholic who got divorced 3 times just so he could have sex with Anne bolynne (or however you spell it), slept with many women YET he persecuted people for things against the bible such has per-marital sex. The pope denied him a divorce so he broke from the catholic church and made the new church of England. Catholics were then persecuted....

Sorry if my post isn't very coherent. I am using an iPhone and it's harder to organize thoughts

Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
NDL

4,055 posts, read 4,830,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Isn't drinking alcohol violate some law in the bible?
No.

Remember that Jesus Himself drank wine.

Quote:
So sad Charlotte is located in a state where people only care about guns, god, and the bible....
What, or where's, the problem?

Quote:
I too am Christian. Just not a hypocrite.
Everyone is hypocritical to some degree. No one's perfect. Sadly, well intentioned/well meaning believers are often associated with those who are Christian in name only.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM

4,895 posts, read 4,779,568 times
When I said drinking, I mean throwing quite a few back... Not a casual glass. I can't imagine people at a sports restaurant "casually" drinking wine....

And the problem with people thinking only about guns and bible is that it distracts from real issues such as the economy, infrastructure, educations, jobs, commerce, wages, etc. instead people care about nonsense of whether joe and curly are a couple and putting all your efforts into putting bans on joe and curly having tax breaks.... I think that is rediculous.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,201,798 times
People need to step back & think. Fundamental christians do not have a lock on the term christian. Many denominations are christian &, in fact, many people who do not attend church are also christian.

Our constitution outlaws a state religion. Making laws that favor a religion in any way is unconstitutional. The Republicans are pandering to fundamentalist christians in NC & other states.

Whether their platform has items that I personally agree with or disagree with, if it is geared to a religous community, I find those items offensive.

I am of the generation when prayer was banned in schools. There were good & bad people before & after. We need laws that move our society in a positive direction, not laws that put one group over or under others.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM
NDL

Quote:
When I said drinking, I mean throwing quite a few back... Not a casual glass. I can't imagine people at a sports restaurant "casually" drinking wine....
For those outside of the Pastorate, to have a drink or two is fine. Getting drunk isn't...

Quote:
And the problem with people thinking only about guns and bible is that it distracts from real issues such as the economy, infrastructure, educations, jobs, commerce, wages, etc.
Look - you'll get no disagreement from me that within Christianity, there are some folks who are obsessive about certain areas. But there are a whole lot of Christian folks that are upset about matters that you pointed out: infrastructure, economy, etc.

On the whole: I *do* see what you're saying, and your point is well taken .

Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
People need to step back & think. Fundamental christians do not have a lock on the term christian. Many denominations are christian &, in fact, many people who do not attend church are also christian.
You're right; being a Christian has to do with a personal commitment between a Jesus Christ and a believer. Individual sects, labels, etc., make absolutely no difference as to whether or not someone's a Christian.

Sadly, however, many people who identify themselves as, and believe themselves to be, members of the Christian faith, aren't.

Quote:
The Republicans are pandering to fundamentalist christians in NC & other states.
Agreed. (In fact, that's one of several reasons why I don't associate myself with the Republican Party.)

Quote:
We need laws that move our society in a positive direction, not laws that put one group over or under others.
Well said

Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 PM

2,669 posts, read 6,810,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
For those outside of the Pastorate, to have a drink or two is fine. Getting drunk isn't...
I know plenty of pastors who drink. Where did this rule come from?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,201,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
You're right; being a Christian has to do with a personal commitment between a Jesus Christ and a believer. Individual sects, labels, etc., make absolutely no difference as to whether or not someone's a Christian.

Sadly, however, many people who identify themselves as, and believe themselves to be, members of the Christian faith, aren't.

Agreed. (In fact, that's one of several reasons why I don't associate myself with the Republican Party.)

Well said

Thank you. I've been lambasted for speaking less directly in real life as well as some of these threads, I just thought that it was important to throw in some perspective.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
NDL

Quote:
Thank you. I've been lambasted for speaking less directly in real life as well as some of these threads, I just thought that it was important to throw in some perspective.
So I am in good company then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina