Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:05 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I know plenty of pastors who drink. Where did this rule come from?
Thank you for asking . The text that I am getting this from comes from 1 Timothy 3:1-3 (NKJV):

"This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous;..."

You'll be happy to see, (as I am sure you already well know ), that many of the above prerequisites speak to the fulness of what a Pastor ought to be - including qualities such as hospitality, not greedy nor covetous, etc.

Why do I bring this up? Because most people are niche focused on one particular sin or offense - to the neglect of everything else. That's one reason why I do not identify with either major political party ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thank you for asking . The text that I am getting this from comes from 1 Timothy 3:1-3 (NKJV):

"This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous;..."

You'll be happy to see, (as I am sure you already well know ), that many of the above prerequisites speak to the fulness of what a Pastor ought to be - including qualities such as hospitality, not greedy nor covetous, etc.

Why do I bring this up? Because most people are niche focused on one particular sin or offense - to the neglect of everything else. That's one reason why I do not identify with either major political party ...
Well that's a relief. My father-in-law, who is an ordained minister in a major protestant denomination and holds a doctorate in religion from Duke University, prefers drinking whiskey to wine. I suppose the above passage explains why, and maybe he'll get into heaven after all.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:

Agreed. (In fact, that's one of several reasons why I don't associate myself with the Republican Party.)

You could never tell I was a Republican. I'm an independent as it stands now leaning left. The Republican party is slipping and slipping farther to the "right". The party was hijacked by fundamentalist and Evangelicals and the word "Conservative" was hijacked by the Tea-Party.

I always believed Government should not be involved in citizens bedrooms. I always believed government should not be in the business of religion. I always believed government was too big. I always believed that investing in our future was the keys to success.

Now you have a party whose center-piece is no investing in our future (because it's communist for government to spend money), Government should enforce religious beliefs, etc. etc. Republicans get sick to their stomach when they hear talk of infrastructure/transit money. They get sick of investing in a ballpark. Investments are made to get bigger returns....

Sometimes the GOP does have a valid point about bridges to nowhere, failed investments, etc. but it's all negated when they take things to the extreme. And focus on things such as "Can I marry a Goat if 2 adults can marry". Sometimes the GOP does have a point about the Keystone pipeline, Green Energy being a failure, and the left wing pandering to environmentalist. But it all just gets washed away from the Sarah Palins, Rick Santorums, and Bachmanns...

Stupid stuff like Asking if one can marry a goat is so silly, irrelevant, extreme, illogical, ridiculous, idiotic, not serious, and ignorant. Only ignorant people ask if they can marry a goat...

Mitt Romney is a bright guy. However is leading a heard of sheep (who just 4 months ago wouldn't vote for him and was "Anyone but Mitt" and was trying to find the "Anti-mitt" candidate) because he is Mormon... Rick Santorum was the ultimate "Anti-mitt" candidate and only became popular after spouting off against contraception, same-sex unions, etc. and ultimately that was his down fall....

As far as NC goes, I'm voting straight ticket Democrat with a huge possibility of voting for McCrory. I can't see myself not voting for him unless he spouts off religious garbage.

Quote:
Mayor McCrory gained the city of Charlotte national prominence during his tenure as mayor. By the 1990's Charlotte emerged as a symbol of the New South by becoming a hub of transportation, banking, manufacturing, energy and tourism.McCrory implemented transportation and land use plans that have been seen nationally as templates for other municipalities. He received a presidential appointment to serve on the United States Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC) from 2003-2006.
McCrory was the Republican nominee for governor of North Carolina in the 2008 general election and was narrowly defeated by then-Lieutenant Governor Beverly Perdue.[4]
After the 2008 election, McCrory returned to the private sector,[5] becoming a national advocate for the economic benefits of mass transit. On January 31 McCrory launched his 2012 campaign for governor.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McCrory

I love McCrory (And current Mayor Foxx)

It's just hard to defend voting these guys in when you have stuff like this on the NC GOP website... How can they have my support when they say things like that?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM

^ 485, that describes me almost exactly, except I don't live in Charlotte anymore so I don't know much about McCrory. I registered as a Republican many years ago (in the Reagan era) because they had the best ideas about the economy and fiscal responsibility in government. But over the years the party has tranformed into something almost sinister, so just last week I finally had enough and changed my voter registration to "unaffiliated". Now I don't feel so dirty.

By the way, it was pretty much Amendment 1 that pushed me over the edge, but there were plenty of other things that got me to the precipice. Pubs these days are entirely focused on the wrong things.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You could never tell I was a Republican. I'm an independent as it stands now leaning left. The Republican party is slipping and slipping farther to the "right". The party was hijacked by fundamentalist and Evangelicals and the word "Conservative" was hijacked by the Tea-Party.
Thank you for writing .

Let me ask you this: Do you *really* believe - *in policy* - that the GOP has moved further to the right?

Do you really believe that, outside of rhetoric and the occasional political pandering, the GOP really *does* anything to address the concerns that conservatives have?

I am about as far Right as they come. Yet I am a true conservative; one who's given to freedom, and personal liberties. I am a true conservative, thus do I believe in free market capitalism - *not* the unbridled capitalism that's raping the Country. I believe in free market capitalism, but I don't believe in (un)free trade, that's dismantling the ladders of upward mobility for the working class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Stupid stuff like Asking if one can marry a goat is so silly, irrelevant, extreme, illogical, ridiculous, idiotic, not serious, and ignorant. Only ignorant people ask if they can marry a goat...
I respectfully disagree, and here's why: my personal take is that the homosexual community is no different than any other - in that they're going to be targeted, and if possible, manipulated, by special interest groups. When special interest groups get thrown into the mix, bad, unexpected, and unintended, things happen. That's why I don't like when special interest groups stick their nose into anything, and as a Christian, I am especially offended by political pandering.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you for writing .

Let me ask you this: Do you *really* believe - *in policy* - that the GOP has moved further to the right?

Do you really believe that, outside of rhetoric and the occasional political pandering, the GOP really *does* anything to address the concerns that conservatives have?
Oh, I don't know...does passing an amendment to the state constitution to withhold basic rights count? How about passing a bill to require invasive transvaginal ultrasounds for women who are trying to obtain a completely legal medical procedure?

Quote:
I respectfully disagree, and here's why: my personal take is that the homosexual community is no different than any other - in that they're going to be targeted, and if possible, manipulated, by special interest groups. When special interest groups get thrown into the mix, bad, unexpected, and unintended, things happen. That's why I don't like when special interest groups stick their nose into anything, and as a Christian, I am especially offended by political pandering.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that gays are seeking equality only because outside groups are manipulating them? Really???

Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 PM
NDL

Quote:
Oh, I don't know...does passing an amendment to the state constitution to withhold basic rights count? How about passing a bill to require invasive transvaginal ultrasounds for women who are trying to obtain a completely legal medical procedure?
I'm still a New Yorker. Apparently, the GOP in NY is *vastly* different than from what you have in NC.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that gays are seeking equality only because outside groups are manipulating them?
Absolutely not.

I was simply pointing out that the homosexual community is no different than any other, in that they represent a voting block - and like all other voting blocks, they are going to be targeted by interest groups.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM

^ I still don't get it. What interest groups are you talking about, and what would be their goals in targeting gays? And are you suggesting that these groups are a good thing for gays or not?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
The GOP in NC doesn't want gay people to vote for them. So why would gays vote for the NC GOP?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
I'm still a New Yorker. Apparently, the GOP in NY is *vastly* different than from what you have in NC.
Not really. . .It seems to have turned into varients of the same theme pretty much all over. I'm registered unaffiliated & have never voted a straight ticket (& I'm a babyboomer, so that's a lot of ticket-splitting). I'm so disgusted that I plan to vote straight Democrat this year. That goes especially for governor, too. I won't vote for McCrory, who ran around being pro-Amendment One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina