Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM

202 posts, read 350,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Well that's just it you said very little. You just want to keep stating that was a war about slavery. It was a much more complex issue than that. Something that was years in the making.

People here have tried educating you on the reason of the war, and also the meaning of the flag, but you want to keep regurgitating the political correct talking points you been fed all your life.
There is no use in talking to people like coped. He/she cannot fathom the fact that anyone other than an uneducated racist could possibly fly the flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That "piece of cloth" is being waved today for reasons of "Southern Heritage" (ie, the South's past). Why would a black man of today have issues with that? How silly of me?
Agreed. It is in the past and ALL relics of that past should only be seen in a museum.
In all honesty, reverse racism and affirmative action are both unconstitutional. IMO, we should have calculated every penny that slaves would have earned and simply paid that money to their descendants (adjusted for inflation plus 300 years worth of interest attached). If that had been done, there would be no such thing as a United Negro College fund nor blacks living in public housing. Most importantly, affirmative action never would have been needed; for most black families would be rich.
It's hard to look towards the future when I see the flag of a trifling era still being proudly displayed by our youth. Maybe those who love this flag so much should wave it in the name of something that folks like me can be proud of? Why not wave it in the name of interacial dating or equal rights for homosexuals? No, folks would rather wave it in the name of "my southern heritage" (which is another way of saying that they support and respect the old ways of the South that their ancestors went down fighting to protect). Sorry, but I can't respect those reasons for supporting this "piece of cloth". Wave that bad boy in the name of support for president Obama and then things might change. You and I both know that the biggest supporters of this flag ain't about to wave it in the name of any of the aforementioned causes. However, it is being used today in the name of keeping out "illegal immigrants".
All sizes | Rebel without a Cerebrum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

^^^No ethnic group being targeted here... Some things about this flag just don't ever change. The school did the right thing. Remove your flag our your truck will be towed; nice job! I'll will be sending that school a personal thank you letter (not joking here).

It took awhile but we got to the meat of the issue with you. Reparations. It cracks me up that people think they should be paid for what their ancestors suffered for.

The thing is if you take offense of a piece of cloth or a person for that matter. It is because you have allowed yourself to be offended. Instead of rising above it. You sink to their level.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
The thing is if you take offense of a piece of cloth or a person for that matter. It is because you have allowed yourself to be offended. Instead of rising above it. You sink to their level.
I see. So you admit that people who fly the flag are doing something at a "low-level." Interesting.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
No, Loves, they don't. The 20-plus percent of Southerners who are black don't feel that way. And most white Southerners I know are embarrassed by the redneck jokers who think it's OK to fly it.

It represents what it was used to represent - racism, slavery, and treason.

You can "feel" that it doesn't all you want; but that doesn't make it true.
If 20% don't feel that way, that still leaves the chance 80% do

You clearly do not understand southern history if you think that flag was only about racism and slavery.

It wasn't.

But that's okay, I don't get bull running, or mud wrestling, or Kwanzaa or Mormonism or people who climb Mt. Everest.

Point being, just because I don't understand those things does not give me the right to demean or criticize them. You would do well to remember the same.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
There is no use in talking to people like coped. He/she cannot fathom the fact that anyone other than an uneducated racist could possibly fly the flag.
I can't. Maybe in some historical re-enactment or something like that. Or in a museum. But why would anyone want to be associated with a symbol of hate? It makes no sense to me.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Quote:
It represents what it was used to represent - racism, slavery, and treason.
That is what it represents TO YOU. It represents what the flag owner wants it to represent. If the flag is being used by a hate group then yes, it is being used to represent racism. But flying the flag on its own does not mean it is representing what YOU want it to represent. You don't ban things because people use them for evil purposes. You learn to differentiate between appropriate and inappropriate use.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
I can't. Maybe in some historical re-enactment or something like that. Or in a museum. But why would anyone want to be associated with a symbol of hate? It makes no sense to me.
Because it is not a symbol of hate to everyone.

Keep insisting it is, but that doesn't make it so my friend.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If 20% don't feel that way, that still leaves the chance 80% do
I am a Southerner. I abhor the flag. Most everyone I grew up with, save a few knuckleheads who never got far in life, abhor the flag. I see a confederate flag bumper sticker and I know to avoid that person. I think more people think like me than not. Especially those under 40.

Quote:
You clearly do not understand southern history if you think that flag was only about racism and slavery. It wasn't.
I understand Southern history quite well and have read extensively in it. What I don't understand is this Southern mythology that tries to make out slavery as something less than dehumanizing. And to make the Civil War into something other than a battle to preserve and extend slavery.

Quote:
But that's okay, I don't get bull running, or mud wrestling, or Kwanzaa or Mormonism or people who climb Mt. Everest.
Quite different. None of these things have negative effects on others.

Quote:
Point being, just because I don't understand those things does not give me the right to demean or criticize them. You would do well to remember the same.
Sorry but by flying the flag, this kid demeaned every black kid in that school. So, it is my right to demean and criticize the demeaning of others. He also made a huge a** out of himself.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:17 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
lovesmountain and others, I think we all can understand that the flag represents more than racism and slavery. But clearly, it does represent those things. I think we've all seen images of KKK rallies where the flag was displayed as a badge of honor, or at counter-protests to peaceful civil rights demonstrations. So even if it's only "sometimes" used to represent racism/slavery, how much is acceptable to you?

I understand the history/heritage thing, and clearly there are places where it can be displayed in a manner that's not offensive (like a museum, or even a Confederate memorial day event) if it's done with appropriate decorum. What I don't understand is why it's so important to some people to display this symbol when they know the effect it has on black people. It's obvious that some (not all) people display it merely to offend. Why would you want to have someone think (even mistakenly) that's what you're doing?

Someone mentioned the Nazi flag and its effect on Jews earlier, and despite assertions to the contrary, there are similarities with the stars & bars. German people could argue that they should display the flag to honor their ancestors. Would you agree that's okay? If not, why do you see the rebel flag differently?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times
Quote:
I see. So you admit that people who fly the flag are doing something at a "low-level." Interesting.
Well if your asking have I ever flown the flag? The answer is no. I think it would be kind of silly for a boy from PA to fly that flag. I do think some people (up north) fly it for the wrong reason, but that's not always the case here in the South.

Regardless I think people have the right to fly it, and that shouldn't be infringed on. If your offended by it. You way to sensitive of a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina