Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,941 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about where would be the best place to live in North Carolina that is affordable, safe to raise a family and has land. I want to live where I don't have neighbors next door to able to look in my window, but is close enough to cities where I'm not out in the middle of no where. I want to live where there are all 4 seasons. I'm living in the florida keys right now and know I can't live here forever. I love mountains & scenery. My husband and I have lived in different parts of florida all our lives and are growing tired of it. We are interested in NC because it doesn't get as cold as the more northern states, and feel its something we can tolerate. We are planning to start a family w/in the next 5 years. I work as a vet tech and he's a cable technician installing either satellite or cable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
There are no mountains in Raleigh or the coast, so you might be happier west of Charlotte (closer to mountains).

You might want to try plug in your job titles and a few of the names of the towns near Charlotte on Indeed.com (a job website that displays jobs from multiple sources), and see where there are jobs. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrldr817 View Post
...best place to live in North Carolina that is affordable, safe to raise a family and has land.
I work as a vet tech and he's a cable technician installing either satellite or cable.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Just about anywhere in the entire state could be fine.
The place where you can both find solid jobs would probably be the best.

Focus on that job thing and work the rest in around the edges.
Quote:
We are interested in NC because it doesn't get as cold as the more northern states...
I want to live where there are all 4 seasons.
Compared to Florida I suppose you could call the NC winters "all 4 seasons"...
but to have that real winter cold reliably you'll have to be at a higher altitude than most on NC.
And probably a higher latitude as well.

Quote:
I want to live where I don't have neighbors next door to able to look in my window,
but is close enough to cities where I'm not out in the middle of no where.
That's called a suburb. There's no shortage of them near the cities where most of the jobs are.
btw... Most of those will be within 10 miles of I-40 between Winston and Raleigh.

Quote:
I love mountains & scenery.
I do too. Do you want to visit them now and then or live *in* them.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 PM

242 posts, read 465,378 times
Right off I would suggest Statesville, N.C. largely rural, good schools, friendly people, unsure about their job markets. For more urban even in the rural areas, I go with the Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh/Chapel Hill area, a well educated portion of the state, quite a few well known Universities and colleges and, several quite liveable small towns, Orange County has the best schools.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:41 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Sandhills of NC, Southern Pines, Jackson Springs, Eagle Springs.
Lots of reasonable priced land, 2.5 hrs to beach, 3.5 hrs to mountains.
Great medical facilities. First Health of NC #5 medical facility in NC
Cable system (Time Warner) is always failing so techs are needed.
Everybody is NC has at least one dog so we have plenty of Vets who are always looking for help.
Look here,http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M67960-23543

Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrldr817 View Post
I'm curious about where would be the best place to live in North Carolina that is affordable, safe to raise a family and has land. I want to live where I don't have neighbors next door to able to look in my window, but is close enough to cities where I'm not out in the middle of no where. I want to live where there are all 4 seasons. I'm living in the florida keys right now and know I can't live here forever. I love mountains & scenery. My husband and I have lived in different parts of florida all our lives and are growing tired of it. We are interested in NC because it doesn't get as cold as the more northern states, and feel its something we can tolerate. We are planning to start a family w/in the next 5 years. I work as a vet tech and he's a cable technician installing either satellite or cable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
There's really no such thing as a "best" place to live anywhere, especially not in a large, geographically diverse state such as NC.

If you want to be in/near mountains, you should post in the Western NC forum. But there are way too many places that meet your description for any one to be "the best". Come and check out the area and see what appeals to you. You might look into central/western Virginia, as well, which is also mountainous.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 11,844 times
Hello I want to move to NC in Feb 2015 i live in maine in sick of the cold im looking for a good place to bring my family i have 3 kids there 3. 4 .7 i want a good school and a quite place.But not to far from city for work.And somewhere where theres not much crime...

Old 08-24-2014, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 11,844 times
Default Nc

Hello looking to move in Feb 2015 from maine sick of the cold looking for a place that has low crime rate and a great school.Something thats 30 mins or so from city so i can work but not live city life have young kids.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlick View Post
Hello I want to move to NC in Feb 2015 i live in maine in sick of the cold im looking for a good place to bring my family i have 3 kids there 3. 4 .7 i want a good school and a quite place.But not to far from city for work.And somewhere where theres not much crime...
We need a WHOLE lot more to go on that that.

Why have you chosen NC--lots of states are warmer than Maine.
What work would you be doing, and do you have something already lined up? Have you even researched work in your field?
How much do you actually know about NC? It doesn't sound like very much. Perhaps you should start with the City-Data general NC page and see if you can narrow it down to a more specific area and tell us why you are looking at that area.

There is no one answer that anyone can give you with such a general question.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlick View Post
Hello looking to move in Feb 2015 from maine sick of the cold looking for a place that has low crime rate and a great school.Something thats 30 mins or so from city so i can work but not live city life have young kids.
I'll will second the comment that there hundreds of places that might satisfy your needs. First you need to narrow down an area where you can find work. If you tell us your jobs skills, people might have suggestions.

Next, you might also ask yourself what you want in an area. For example: professional sports teams, college basketball, NASCAR racing, outdoor recreation in the mountains, or being close to the beach? Do you prefer a more traditional, conservative town or do you want a progressive, ecology-conscious environment? For fun, take this survey: https://www.ourstate.com/nc-survey/

To get an overview of school quality, go to Schooldigger.com and select North Carolina. You will see that, in general, the better school districts are in the suburbs of the larger cities like Raleigh and Charlotte. The pockets of poorer schools are in the rural counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina