U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,949 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-
So my boyfriend and I are going to be graduating from college soon and we have been talking about moving to North Carolina. My boyfriend wants to be a police officer and I will be looking for something in the marketing related field. We are looking for an area that is close to the beach (somewhat short drive) and pays their police men and women well. We understand that you always have to weigh your salary with the cost of living in the area so we are very open to suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 AM

12,571 posts, read 23,857,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer2409 View Post
My boyfriend wants to be a police officer and I will be looking for something in the marketing related field. We are looking for an area that is close to the beach (somewhat short drive) and pays their police men and women well. We understand that you always have to weigh your salary with the cost of living in the area so we are very open to suggestions.
I have no idea what you consider well paid, but the City of Jacksonville has Police Officer I openings starting at $33,829. The link is here: City of Jacksonville, North Carolina
Housing costs are reasonable, but not cheap. Emerald Isle and Surf City are nearby.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM

I guess I don't really know what would be considered 'well paid' in that area... In PA the state troopers make almost 60,000 a year, however the cost of living is more expensive. I don't necessarily have to live in a city, but if we could be near one (for work) and relatively close to the beach that would be amazing!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 PM

12,571 posts, read 23,857,304 times
I picked Jacksonville, because I though it would be among the best paid on the coast. The Officer I position pays about $34-54K. I would be surprised if anybody makes $60K starting out. I don't have the resources to research all the county sheriff departments, but I imagine they pay less than Jacksonville. Here's a job search engine that may help: Onslow County North Carolina (NC) Jobs / A Onslow Employment Opportunities Directory

Also check the cities of Greenville, Wilmington, Goldsboro, etc. for police positions. The cities may also be better for marketing positions.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM

32,464 posts, read 75,501,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer2409 View Post
I guess I don't really know what would be considered 'well paid' in that area... In PA the state troopers make almost 60,000 a year, however the cost of living is more expensive.
Don't be so sure! Do some specific checking.
Cost of Living comparison calculator

a quick look showed that someone earning $60,000 in the Harrisburg/Carlisle PA area
would need $58,000 in Wilmington NC area to maintain the same standard of living

Beyond direct wage rates the more important thing is benefits.
REALLY compare them

Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM

10,674 posts, read 21,492,266 times
What has made you choose NC over other states? Knowing that can help people assist you. Have you ever been here?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Well we really just want to get out of PA... been here for our whole lives. We would really like to move close to the beach because we both love the beach and the warm weather. Seeing as we both go to school in areas that are very cold and get a lot of snow it would be a nice change. I have never actually made a trip to NC, but I've heard nice things about it & plan to visit before I would move there.

We have also talked about other areas that might be of interest to us... SC, GA, AL, DE, TX. Just from talking with people who have visited a lot of those places we find ourselves leaning more towards NC. We would never make a rash decision and just uproot ourselves and move to a place that we have never visited, we would just like a better idea of places that could be a good match so that we can plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>