Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
What I found truly interesting is, in order to become a member of the KKK one has to be a christian. One of a myriad of reasons I do not do religion.
Because a very small number of Christians agree with/join a fringe group like the KKK? That doesn't make sense as any kind of reason to "not do religion". If that is a valid reason, then there are similarly insignificant reasons not to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Bottom line...the confederate flag offends a large percentage of the population, therefore it is very controversial and often derided. It's too bad such a historical icon of the South was tainted by hate groups, because I think otherwise it might not be seen in such a negative light. But the fact remains...it's devisive and controversial.

I do agree that it may never fully go away.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM

789 posts, read 368,977 times
I know that concensus was to let the thread die, but it is still on the first page so I will offer this analogy:

Are all Muslims hate-filled killers of Westerners and/or Christians?

If you answer "No, of course not", is that also your answer to this question:

Is everyone that displays a Confederate flag (of any type) a hate-filled racist?

Symbols, such as flags, can evoke strong thoughts and emotions in the viewer; but they are your thoughts and emotions. Don't ascribe them to, or project them onto, the displayer of that symbol without knowing the displayer's intent - that is the very definition of prejudice.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 AM

202 posts, read 350,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
I know that concensus was to let the thread die, but it is still on the first page so I will offer this analogy:

Is everyone that displays a Confederate flag (of any type) a hate-filled racist?

Symbols, such as flags, can evoke strong thoughts and emotions in the viewer; but they are your thoughts and emotions. Don't ascribe them to, or project them onto, the displayer of that symbol without knowing the displayer's intent - that is the very definition of prejudice.
Very well said.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:

Thanks

Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 AM

242 posts, read 465,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Because a very small number of Christians agree with/join a fringe group like the KKK? That doesn't make sense as any kind of reason to "not do religion". If that is a valid reason, then there are similarly insignificant reasons not to do anything.

Cherry picking my quote, I see. I wrote " one of a myriad " , if you have a dictionary, look the word up, please.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
Cherry picking my quote, I see. I wrote " one of a myriad " , if you have a dictionary, look the word up, please.
Is rudeness a staple of atheism?

Whether it is listed as the main reason or "one of a myriad" it still doesn't make sense, that's why I picked it out. I see you had no defense for it other than to try and offend my intelligence.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Anyway, during the "hey-day" of the KKK? It was the AMERICAN flag that was their standard.
Hmmmmm.... That sounds a lot like a group decrying that they are the "real" Americans.....where might have I heard that term recently??? Hmmmmmm.....

Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:

A guess Jews should maintain calm if seeing a swatiska being publicly displayed on a front yard, etc. The sight of a confederate flag evokes negative emotions for most African Americans...that's not prejudice.

If you're not the emotional viewer, you have no right to qualify or measure how the hell someone is supposed to feel.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
A guess Jews should maintain calm if seeing a swatiska being publicly displayed on a front yard, etc. The sight of a confederate flag evokes negative emotions for most African Americans...that's not prejudice.

If you're not the emotional viewer, you have no right to qualify or measure how the hell someone is supposed to feel.
I agree that you can't tell people what should and should not offend them, but you also can't cater to every opinion of what is/isn't offensive. Some people are offended by public affection, but it probably won't be outlawed anytime soon. Some people are offended by a black president, but he remains in office. Some people are offended by the American Family Association, but they are allowed to exist. I guess it's all about freedom of expression.

It's very hard to define what is offensive because every individual has his or her own idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina