Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM

18 posts, read 29,102 times

Advertisements

I have AT & T for internet and Magic Jack for phone. AT & T was originally charging me $19.95. Then out of the blue they started charging me $24.95 and now I just got an online bill for $30.72! All this in one year's time.

Everytime I call AT & T they reduce the next month's bill and then it goes right back up again. I am tired of dealing with AT & T. The internet service goes out on me several times during the day.

I'm in my sixties, if that matters. But I have an online business.

Does anyone know how I can get reliable internet service other than using AT & T? I can get a cell phone, like anyone, so, all I need is internet and cheap! My only other option right now is to go to the nearest library, 6 miles away. But, there's no privacy.

Thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandquite View Post
Does anyone know how I can get reliable internet service other than using AT & T?
Where are you located? Do you have a cable TV company that provides Internet service?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM

I don't need cable b/c I wouldn't use it. I'm in Hiddenite. I need very reasonable rates

Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I don't need cable b/c I wouldn't use it. I'm in Hiddenite. I need very reasonable rates
But cable can provide you with an alternate Internet service. You get a cable modem from someone like Time Warner or Comcast to hook up your Internet service. You do not need to buy their TV package.

You are probably getting the cheapest service with AT&T anyway at about $30. I think a cable modem would run you about $40-45/month.

If you went to an old-fashioned dial-up provider, you would need a land-line telephone.

Some locations might have Verizon's fiber optic network, which is faster but probably not cheaper than AT&T. You might also look into Netzero 4G Mobile Hotspot. I have seen that quotes as low as $9.95/month. Here's a write-up with a map of locations served in NC: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...am-est-on-319/ This site shows it in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh: http://www.netzero.net/

Your only other alternative would be a satellite Internet service running $65-100/month.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-26-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 04:03 PM

A short answer is that I don't think you will find anything cheaper than AT&T unless you get a dial-up modem.

Another alternative would be cell-phone tethering, but you need on with a data plan. Data plans for your cell phone might run $50-100/month. Here's an article on it: How To Use Your Cell Phone As A Modem - Tethering Your Cell Phone To Your Laptop

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM

ok.. my needs are pretty simple and my money is pretty tight. I have a landline that is thro Magic Jack and the internet is dial up thro ATT. My internet keeps going in and out on me and this is very frustrating. I have an online business and need the internet service. ATT was pretty cheap when I first got set up here, $19.95 and I had to buy their modem $75. Then after a year or so, it was $24.95 for a while and now they just upped the amount to $34.something. It is getting expensive, especially since I only have internet service from them.

I'm just looking for something that will basically let me do my emails and my two online businesses, that sort of stuff. Netflex might also be nice.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
ok.. my needs are pretty simple and my money is pretty tight. I have a landline that is thro Magic Jack and the internet is dial up thro ATT. My internet keeps going in and out on me and this is very frustrating. I have an online business and need the internet service. ATT was pretty cheap when I first got set up here, $19.95 and I had to buy their modem $75. Then after a year or so, it was $24.95 for a while and now they just upped the amount to $34.something. It is getting expensive, especially since I only have internet service from them.

I'm just looking for something that will basically let me do my emails and my two online businesses, that sort of stuff. Netflex might also be nice.
You may be exceeding the permitted bandwidth is why your bill keeps going up. As far as streaming Netflix via dial up, forget it.
That price will be hard to beat, but you may want to look into data connect/cell internet service from Sprint or Clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina